“So long...Sol Duc...thank heavens!”

Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort
Indianapolis, Indiana
“So long...Sol Duc...thank heavens!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We spent a week at the "River Suite" at Sol Duc. Thank goodness we had nice weather and only had to spend a minimal amount of time in this grungy, dirty unit. None of the promo info tells you that you are in a 3 bedroom building on top of laundry and maintenance facilities for the resort. Yes, scenery and hiking are fabulous but I would stay elsewhere. Staff is friendly but hapless, if you complain about housekeeping (as we did) they apologize but don't do anything. Level of quality of beds, bedding, mattresses, and housekeeping is a D-, location is good but life is too short to stay in a place like this one! Also, only 1 out of 7 keys worked on the front door!! (They said it would be rekeyed at end of season...really??!) There were always a million flies in the unit, windows and screens are no match for pesky bugs! Yuck! :(

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel..!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank BBos23
Dallinson7143, General Manager at Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Hello,

Please accept my sincerest apology for coming up short during your recent visit.

Rest assured that I will pass this information along to my management team in the hopes of directly addressing your concerns.

In order to get more detail, and in the hopes of doing something to compensate you for where we came up short, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in person.

Please feel free to call me at my direct line: 360-327-0751 or if you'd prefer I can be reached by email at allinson-duncan@aramark.com.

Thank you for taking time to share you concerns, and again, please accept my genuine apology around where we failed to exceed your expectations during your visit.

Duncan M Allinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at Sol Duc for 2 nights. Our family had 1 standard cabin and 1 kitchenette cabin. The cabins are very basic which was expected and fine with us. Our problem was the level of cleanliness. When we checked in our cabin, the toilet had splattered feces inside the toilet bowl and there were several (more than 3) body hairs in the bathtub. The hairs I could handle, the feces from the prior guest...no. When I told the front desk employee she quickly got a hold of Housekeeping on her walkie talkie. When we returned several hours later, the toilet was not cleaned. GROSS!!

There was also a strange foul odor emitting from one section of the cabin (#19). At first I thought it might be dog urine. Then it was more like a dead fish. Later my husband and I decided it was definitely sewage. Maybe there was a leakage from under the cabin. GROSS!!

In the kitchenette, no feces. BUT the kitchen was so lacking. The pots and pans, utensils etc. looked like they've been there since the 60s or maybe picked up at the bottom of a thrift shop bin. They were so old and worn out. Even the can opener was the most basic type (with no handle). We couldn't get it to work and had to walk over to the resort building kitchen to ask them to open our can. I expected "Rustic" but for the price we paid (about $230/nt/room), this was disappointing.

We visited Sol Duc just after the schools started so it was not crowded. The hot spring pools themselves were lovely. The changing rooms were, again, very basic and needed updating but the pools were sparkling clean and wonderful. We hiked on some of the nearby trails and it was stunning. Beautiful.

All the employees were friendly and seemed to be working the best to their ability but I think the resort lacks something... efficiency? fluidity? resources? I'm not that knowledgeable about hotel management but there could definitely be some improvements made.

All in all, we would not stay at the resort again. For those prices, I'd rather rent an RV! Or use the nearby campgrounds.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank busybeebird
Dallinson7143, General Manager at Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello,

Please accept my sincerest apology for any distress you experienced during your recent stay. Our mission at Sol Duc Hot Springs is to exceed your expectations every single time and it is clear we fell short this visit.

I would welcome an opportuntity to discuss your concerns in person either via email or phone.

My email address is: allinson-duncan@aramark.com

My direct line is: 360-327-0751

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback and please, once more, accept my sincerest apologies.

Have a great day!

Redlands, California
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Visited this hotel in autumn 2012 and was pleasantly surprised by the contents of the rooms. Fully furnished with KITCHENETTES and pots/pans/dishes/cutlery. We had eaten a lovely lovely lovely (expensive!) dinner at the Lake Crescent Lodge before going on to Sol Duc for the overnight stay, but if we had known about the kitchen units, we would've stocked up on something in Port Angeles or Forks and cooked at Sol Duc. Didn't see this feature mentioned anywhere on the resort website or the room description. Maybe I missed it, but had no idea coming in! Rooms were clean and adequately furnished, nothing outstanding. Great view of the little river which runs around the valley in which the resort is tucked into! Was dim and foggy when we pulled in during the evening but in the morning it was a great view of the surrounding landscape.
Went into the hot springs in the morning before checking out. Really nice in the water, the pools are somewhat temperature controlled so that there's a selection for everyone to enjoy. Yes, there is a sulfur smell which comes with most hot springs, but it's not a bowl-you-over-with-brimstone strength. The pool area itself could use a bit of updating; the tile and concrete is noticeably worn and showing its age. It's not very natural looking, all of the pools are in modern concrete enclosures which contain the water. It was very nice for a soak before continuing on through the park via car, but the atmosphere left a bit to be desired. The mountains and trees around the resort did their best to make up for the concrete though!
Agree with other reviews on the food offerings. Not much to say about it, but we didn't eat anything purchased at this resort; we brought breakfast snacks & fruit with us and left before lunch time. I'd stay here again because the options are very limited in this part of the park, but I'd be coming with a shopping bag of dinner ingredients, and spend the maximum amount of time either in the hot springs pools or hiking.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have at least one view of the riverbed or the mountains, but most rooms also have...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MedievalNerd
Hello,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our property!

There is something very special about morning time at Sol Duc and I am glad you had a chance to experience it.

I will review our website to make sure that potential future guests are aware of exactly what we have to offer at the location.

Expect too some changes in the pool area! We have an exciting project planned to begin the work of rehabilitating that space.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Have a wonderful day!

Ellensburg, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Gem of a place, camping was great and the lodge with hot springs was amazing! Friendly staff all around! Just bring plenty of gas and firewood. Easy access to waterfall and other hikes. Lake crescent is short drive away which is a beautiful lake with a quaint lodge.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank davidpa05
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've stayed at this place on few occasions and always had the same opinion about it. The location is great, with few hiking trails surrounding it, and a natural hot spring spa in the main lodge. The only issue is there is no control of who comes and leaves the "resort" so it feels like staying in a middle of a parking lot. Cars fill out the place by midday and there is no assigned parking for overnight guests, so if out of luck one might need to park outside of the resort. All sorts of people flock the place, not respecting the national park rules, loitering, yelling, and destroying the nature and wildlife. The pools area fills out quickly to a point of standing place only, and it is disgustingly dirty by the end of the day. These one day visitors seem to be more venerated as a revenue source by the staff that doesn't seem to have a limit on how many people is too much for the pool, nor do they offer special pool hours just for the guests. Half of the time they also ran out of towels that are supposedly one of the benefits for the resort guest coming to use the pool. This last time it seems like they've upgraded the beds and sheets which was a very nice surprise, but more needs to be done with the kitchens that are short of utensils and the appliances seem to be a bit on the broken side. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, but the shortcomings seem to be a result of higher management not enforcing quality standards common for other 'resorts' of sort.

Room Tip: they are all the same
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mometo
Hello,

Thank you so much for stating so succinctly your concerns regarding your recent visit. It is always an advantage for me to receive as much detail as I possibly can.

I have made note of your concerns around parking, pool cleanliness, and outfitting the rooms and will certainly follow up to see if we can't solve some of these issues.

We piloted this year a "lodging guests only" hour from 8:00am to 9:00am from about mid-July to September 1st. It seemed to be very well received so you can expect something similar in the year to come.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer your feedback; it is greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 3, 2013

7:30 a.m.!!! That's right. You're ready to hit the highway for another day of adventure, but you can't leave until they open at 7:30 a.m. You can't kill time eating breakfast because they open at... 7:30 a.m. I thought perhaps the employees lived a distance away (it's 18 miles from the entrance at 101) and Van Winkle hours were for their benefit, but no!! The employees all live upstairs! All of them!! Wow!

The rooms themselves were fine, but due to privacy concerns I wouldn't book two (non-kinky) couples into a single cabin with 2 beds. Bathroom is literally 2 feet away from the rear bed.

So, unless your really into sitting in the pool/springs, I wouldn't stay overnight here. It's very pretty and peaceful, but you have to be the right kind of humans, which we are apparently not. :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kinoz
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I would describe these as completely developed swimming pools, not hot springs. And I was very surprised to read the previous reviewer's comments about it not being for children, because it was quite full of them when we came to visit. So full of screaming children, in fact, that we changed our minds and decided not to take a dip after all. I'll stick with less developed hot springs that still feel like you're in nature when you're there, not at the community kiddie pool. It's probably a decent place for other families looking for a different experience... now I know. I do recommend the short walk/hike to Sol Duc Falls, though. It's easy and the falls are very lush and beautiful. We didn't spend the night here so I can't comment on the accomodations.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
A Hidden Haven Bed and Breakfast
All View Motel
All View Motel
#7 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!