“unbelievable”
Review of Hoh Rain Forest

Hoh Rain Forest
More attraction details
Owner description: The Olympic Coast national park.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This rain forest is beautiful, peaceful and just breath taking. We enjoyed every minute of the drive in and the time we spent in the forest! I am so glad we took the time to see it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)
All reviews
in 15 reviews
"easy walk"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I planned my trip based on the other reviews I had seen with this site. Check out time is at 11am, but many people do leave early. I wanted to arrive early to claim a good site, in which I was able to get the best one in my eyes which was right at the river. It was Loop C number 68. The cost was $12 cash. No hot water, no showers, no electricity. There are flush toilets which were pretty dirty and a tap of cold water for dishes that you can heat up at your site. I did not drink any of it, since I brought my own. Firewood is $5.00 for a small bundle. When you arrive, find your site first, set something up to claim it and go back to the board and pay your money. You have 30 mins to claim and pay. There is a Park Warden that you see the odd time. We were told about showers outside of the Park Area about 17 miles outside the campground. I arrived there to find that they were ONLY for the residents of the campground beside the shower. It is just a large grass field. All the trails were great and the Visitor Centre was really helpful. There were 20-30 resident elk that live there, that you see often. Ensure to bring bug stray and any equipment before you walk into the forest. I had my knife and bear mace as well as a walking pole. The Rainforest does stand up to its name. REMEMBER that there is a $15 Park fee to get into the National Park. It is good up to 7 days. It is good for all the Parks.

1  Thank NavygirlComox
Reviewed July 12, 2013

It didn't rain when we were there. Moss was hanging on the trees. Recommend bring a rain jacket. Good bird watching.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

If you are making the drive around the Olympic Peninsula, do not miss the Hoh Rainforest and Hall of Mosses trail. It's a long drive in from the main road to get it, but it is so worth it. This is a temperate rainforest, a very unusual place, and there is green, green, green everywhere. Weird fuzzy mosses cover tree branches, trees grow out of trees, everything is amazing and huge! Bring a raincoat and shoes/boots for mud. It actually wasn't raining while we were walking there, but we didn't know it because of all the constant dripping. We saw elk and otters while we were there, and the water in the stream we crossed was the clearest we had ever seen.

1  Thank Ann C
See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We began at the visitors center and saw that there was a ranger guided tour in 20 minutes, so we read the info on the history and went on the Hall of Moss trail with the ranger. It was the best tour I've ever been on and I highly recommend it, so check the Bugler newspaper that is available at the entry gate or visitor center.

We learned about snags (dead, standing trees), nurse trees and how trees communicate. It's like stepping into another world with the huge, old, trees, moss, ferns and banana slugs (yuk).
We also learned how this rain forest was the inspiration for the Hobbits and Avatar. We crossed the Hoh river and learned that is so pure that it sets the bar for water quality standards. The trail was easy and it took about 2 hrs, but was fascinating at every stop. We also walked along the Hoh river trail for a mile or so to enjoy the sound and try to spot elk.

We drove from Chimacum along Hwy 101 for 2.5 hrs and it would be worthwhile to ferry/drive from Seattle or other areas. We also stopped to hike Marymere falls near Lake Crescent and Rialto Beach near La Push. We used our Senior pass again to avoid the $15 entry and do consider some type of pass to save $$ if you plan to see several areas of the park while on the peninsula.

3  Thank Bchgrl9