The Inn at Paradise has been renovated, but we're not quite sure what exactly they renovated. Maybe the lobby? The lobby was fabulous - and set us up for a big disappointment when it came to the room. For a place that we expected to be warm, cozy and friendly after a long day on the mountain and two years of renovations, the Inn at Paradise was none of these.
Upon arrival, we were totally ignored by front desk stafff and it took us nearly 30 minutes to get checked in though there was hardly a line. The following morning, we left to check out at 430 am so that we could drive to Sunrise for Sunrise and the front desk attendant informed us that he could not possibly check us out because it was too early. Seriously?!
The restauraunt food was ultra blah and way overpriced. And the restauraunt management is a disaster. I recommend packing your food in and making your own sandwiches. Don't be tempted to eat in the restaurant - you'll only be disappointed.
The room wasn't luxurious. That said, it would have been fine if
1) There weren't blood stains on the nasty polyester comfortor circa 1982.
2) I couldn't hear someone's kids running around in the hall and on the floor above.
I really didn't have luxury hotel expectations, but give me a break. I just felt like there was no effort, no professionalism or ease to the experience. It just wasn't fun. And staying on the top of a mountain should be delightful - don't you think?
Though the lodge lobby is cozy and views are stunning, unless you've climed to Paradise and don't have a way down - you're better off stopping by to linger for some piano music but staying the night at a bed and breakfast near the foot of the mountain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1916 and designated as one of the "Great Lodges of the West" this historic guest lodge sits in the shadow of Mount Rainier surrounded by mountain meadows lush with wildflowers. Miles of hiking trails just outside the front door lead to adventures in all directions and offer panoramic views of glaciers and waterfalls. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Paradise Hotel Mount Rainier National Park
- Paradise Inn Washington