“Great Chistmas present!”

California, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Chistmas present!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My (25 year-old) daughter booked this tour for she and I as a Christmas present. We went on March 2, 2013, and it was one of the most interesting and challenging things we have done recently. I was the oldest person (62) on the tour. 12 of the people were college students from Chicago, who were all part of an outdoor adventure club. They all had goofy nicknames and were gung-ho and fit, so no one had any major problems getting through the tight spots. The guides (Jamie and Chris) were great, with plenty of entertaining stories. Like other reviewers have said, it is a strenuous tour, and not for those with fear of tight spaces or climbing above chasms. My daughter and I are small, and I am very fit, but I was tired and bruised at the end of the tour. Some of the coveralls that are issued are threadbare and torn, so make sure your kneepads are good ones. The snack place in the Snowball Room was closed, but the guides warned us, so we brought a snack with us. The "scenery" and formations are not the main point of this tour, although the gypsum flowers, domes and pits, flowstone, cave crickets and (3) bats were neat. It's a chance to explore areas most of the public won't ever see, and test yourself in the process. You get a sense of what it is like to be a "caver" (not a "spelunker"). Made some memories!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank David S

Urbana, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best caving experience of my life so far, will go back again!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I went on the Wild Cave Tour back in November of 2012 with 5 of my girlfriends and I had the time of my life. After the tour was over, our guides told us that the difficulty level that we experienced was about 8/10. Haha, I was so disappointed because I wanted to experience 10/10! I guess this is why I'm planning a second trip.

This tour is perfect for small people! I'm 5'2'' and about 110 pounds. By most accounts, I'm in pretty bad physical shape. For example, I can't run longer than a few minutes without feeling like my lungs are burning. But I LOVE to crawl and climb. And I had such a good time and really no trouble at all doing any of the challenges. Our tour guides were really awesome, despite the fact that one of them obviously had a huge hangover! Still, they gave great instructions. We did lots of crawling, some rock scrambles, some canyon walking, and had to squeeze through many tight spots... The canyon walking, although not very difficult, was scary for me because I'm so short. It was about 10-14 feet high and the bottom was covered in loose, sharp rocks. I'm sure you can seriously hurt yourself if you accidentally fall during this. But I had such a good time with everything else.

So even if you are out of shape, as long as you are small and enjoy crawling around, which may be a strange hobby, then this is perfect for you! Bring a bunch of small friends, bottled water, and nutella sandwiches (which is delicious no matter what state it's in). Then you're all set.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank Qian_Mulcahy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Tour was canceled after it was supposed to start without any warning.”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We spent money and time to go on the wild cave tour and despite calling the day of and the day prior, they would not say if our tour was cancelled. They gave us no warning to say it was cancelled and instead waited until after the tour was supposed to start, wasting our time and money.

6 Thank lacezk
Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wild Cave Tour - Mammoth Cave in Kentucky”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Wild Cave Tour at Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky was awesome. It was an amazing day full of challenges and excitement. My husband and I had the best time and is a must do if you meet the criteria (42" around the chest - doublecheck that number!) and must wear over-the-ankle deep treaded hiking boots. Now that we did the tour I can see why you need over-the-ankle. Lots of crawling, squeezing, climbing, walking...way fun. Ranger John is a fantastic tour guide so hope you get him or Jackie (sp?). Great guides make the trip too as Ranger John was very informative, fun and just the perfect guide. We were fortunate to have him on a regular tour as well. Make your reservations as there are only 14 on the tour and it sells out!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank 221Julia
Lexington, Ky
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Challenging”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Having experienced the Wild Cave Tour on two previous occasions, once in 1976 and the other in 1992, I used this tour as a personal physical challenge. I am a 54 year old female, my health is very good, but I was out of shape so I spent 7 weeks beforehand, exercising, trying to build my strength and stamina. I felt I came out very well. Even though I knew better, I did not use elbow pads, but really wished I had. Our tour started with 14, but three were taken out due to improper foot wear, safety was cited as the reason. I refused the fanny pack and didn't take a water bottle because I didn't want to be bothered. After the first rough area where we were required to belly crawl, one of a group of seven friends, passed out. He was then taken out of the tour by one of the guides. After reaching the Snowball Room, his other six friends were met by law enforcement and they were removed from the tour. We were told that all seven were sick with an upper respiratory illness. Not exactly sure how this was determined, but we were now down to four along with the two guides, Mary and Tori. We were told at the begining that we would not be helped as they did not want to risk injury by pulling or tugging on anyone. There were two places late in the tour where I could not physcially pull myself up and I was allowed to step on the kneeling knee of the guide, this was just enough to get me up those areas. I think you need a least average physical fittness and a lot determination to get through this tour. It's worth the sore muscles and bruises.

Visited October 2012