“Great Experience”

Mammoth Cave National Park
More attraction details
Owner description: A mysterious limestone cave that has fascinated people for 4,000 years.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been in many caves over the years, including this one as a kid, but wanted to take our kids for their first experience in a cavern. As we were travelling back home from our Smoky Mountain trip we stopped off at Mammoth Cave to give them their first exprience in a cave. We took the "New Entrance Tour" with rangers Kevin and Corey. The kids really took to the rangers (even took photos) and found the cave very fascinating. There is 300 stair steps to take, so it's not for those who don't like a stepping challenge, but what less could you expect in order to discover the depths below ground. The rangers were great at teaching the way the caves formed and pointing out little details as you go. There are a few places during the tour when they stop and you can catch your breathe on a seat if need be. We found the tour to be well worth the money.

There are newer reviews for Mammoth Cave National Park

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Really interesting and amazing to see. A little challenging at times for this grandmother, but my son and grandson loved both of their tours.

1  Thank rodgersp2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Loved the historic and other tours! Hotel has great gift shops! Stay at the hotel there for convenience and DO eat at the hotel's restaurant! The cherry jam and butter are great. Have the caveman breakfast and you'll be fueled up for the whole day!

1  Thank laura22204
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had wanted to take the historic tour, but they won't sell tickets over the phone for the same day, and by the time we arrived it had sold out. So we took the New Entrance tour instead. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour despite a few complaints. First of all, they crammed too many people into one tour, so by the time that those in the back make it to the open auditorium section of the cave, our guide was already halfway through her speech. My wife wasn't able to fully enjoy herself because of our 7 year old daughters hyper active cave-inappropriate behavior. I really loved seeing all the rock formations. My wife had knee issues for several says after this tour due to all the stairs and uneven walking. We saw many folks older and larger than us having an even more difficult time. Overall I would do it again (a different tour though), but my wife probably would not.

1  Thank MMandS
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I have been on many cave tours, and had been looking forward to taking the historic tour for several months. The tour was pretty much ruined from the get-go by screaming babies. I don't understand what would possess a parent to bring infants or toddlers into a what could be a dangerous cave area, with small passages, steep stairs and inclines, low ceilings, and then be surprised when their small children become frightened and upset. There were a hundred other people with you who paid good money to have what for most is a once in a lifetime experience, who couldn't hear anything the tour guide said over your child screaming and crying.
They say many times before the tour starts that people with certain conditions should not take the tour. Having small children with you should be at the top of that list.

5  Thank ThriftyBuckeye