“Mammoth Cave Historic Tour”

Mammoth Cave National Park
More attraction details
Owner description: A mysterious limestone cave that has fascinated people for 4,000 years.
Indianapolis, Indiana
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Mammoth Cave Historic Tour”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We arrived to Mammoth Cave an hour early due to the time change (I did not realize it was Central time there). So we decided to take a walk around some of the trails they offered. We went down to the dome sink which wasn't really anything special and we also walked around the cemetery that they have there which also offers a beautiful view overlooking the trees.

I had pre-booked the historical tour which was easy online. We got in line which was non-existent and picked the tickets up and then headed to the shelter where our tour was starting. Our tour guide was good and the tour was about two hours. I had hoped to see some bats or something, but you really won't see any there. There was a lot of people on the tour, but this did not really make it hard to hear or anything. It was a very easy walk and stair climb (not that bad at all) and it is recommended. I would like to try another one in the summer months (River Styx). For the price it was pretty affordable to take this tour.

2 Thank allyouneedistara

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Take a jumper it's cold down there”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Wow what an attraction this is. Well worth taking the Historic Tour to learn more about the longest underground caves in the world. Well presented by a ranger who knew her stuff and was able to transfer her information easily. Good value for money and worth a visit.

1 Thank adrianandlois
247 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 231 helpful votes
“Late September, got a tour without a reservation”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We knew we might not arrive on time from Lexington, KY, but we made it in time for the 3pm Historic Tour. In late September on a Friday afternoon, we did not need a reservation. We were lucky. The tour guide was great, and the cave experience is one of the best in the country. We have seen plenty of cave formations in other caves, so we preferred the historic tour which concentrates on the hugeness of the cavern. The narrow passages and low-ceiling in some places made for a fun hike through the cave. I also recommend the trails connecting to the visitor center and historic cave entrance area.

Thonotosassa, Florida
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Underground wonderment”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I wanted to show my grandaughter one of Americas wonders during a trip to the midwest. On the way was Mammoth Cave Park. I have been going to this park from the time I was pre teen and that was in the 1950s. I have seen a lot change as time passed. But the main item, the cave still remains the best part. We took a light tour of four hours and viewed some of the History of the cave and heard stories and History from a very special guide. Our Guide was a direct decendent of the three original guides from over a hundred years ago. On our tour we viewed the large passages and areas where products used to make gun powder were mined. We also did some twisty cruves and climbing that was hard at times. But we survived and had a great time. Staying at the Park has many levels. In the past I have stayed in cabins that were very low end in price, and once in the big lodge that was high end on price. My favarite was the old Hotel now torn down. Food options are good with a reasonable priced full service resturant to a modern snak bar service. The full sevice resturant has a good but basic menu and is based on country family type foods. All very good and filling. Little stores abound to see any type of Tenn or cave rememberance there is. This is a more than one day and less than two day for a quick visit but my recomedation is to stay for three nights. That was one can enjoy a day under and a day over on a trail or river visit. They have a web site for information and it can be helpful but if you travel like me, it will serve only as a guide. If your going to stay in park you MUST secure the room, if not you will pay $$. The entire staff down to the kitchen staff have a very friendly attitude and seem to be sure to make the visit a good one. In my youth i used to do "wild" caving or spelunking as it is called. You can do some wilder caving here but need to be in much better shape than I am now. Go, enjoy, and experence wild America.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank FloridaGreenFlash
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband had never been to the park. Since we are in off season, the variety of tours offered during the week are limited. Took the Historic Tour which is 2 hours and 2 miles. There are over 400 stairs on this tour and some very tight spaces so it is rated moderately difficult. The group was small so we were treated to a lot of extra stories. The tour guide was very cheerful and very thorough in answering everyone's questions.
Everything is very well kept and clean. Saw many deer and wild turkeys in the park.

1 Thank kaileypeteTN