“Lassen Peak Trail”
Review of Mount Lassen

Mount Lassen
More attraction details
Owner description: This mountain is a beautifully rewarding hike for the novice.
Reviewed March 13, 2009

This is a strenuous hike -- about 5 miles round trip, but so worth the effort! This peak erupted on May 15, 1922, and this southernmost active volcano in the Cascade Range devastated nearby areas and rained volcanic ash as far away as 200 miles to the east. This was the most powerful explosion in the 1914-17 series of eruptions that were the last to occur in the Cascades before the 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens. There are so many fantastic vistas of the park and surrounding areas from the trail. The summit provides one of the most spectacular views of the Devastated Area. I would recommend beginning this hike earlier in the day (before 12 noon), as afternoon thunderstorms are common, as are lightening strikes on the mountain.

9  Thank Deborah M
in 11 reviews
"parking lot"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed September 1, 2007

I went on a 9 day camping trip which consisted of a 50 mile hike with Troop 315 of Middletown, Ca. I had such a great time camping out there. My troop and I went swimming at the lakes saw a baby black bear and climbed to the top of the old volcano and into the center. I miss those times dearly and I hope that I will get another opportunity to visit the Caribou Wilderness again.

Jason Lewis
Troop 315
Middletown, Ca

3  Thank EagleScout1
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Took a drive from Reno to Mt. Lassen. Fortunately the weather has been good and the roads in the park were open. Tried to see most major areas:

Sulpher Works--Short walk just off the road. Two steaming vents the first time, 5 or 6 on our way back. Boardwalk closed. I guess some of it has been destroyed and it didn't sound like it was going to be replaced.

Trail to the peak-10 feet of snow at the start of the trail. I tried to navigate the trail, but couldn't get past the snow, btw the shop and snack bar in the parking are was very good.

Bumpass Hell-It looked like it would be great to walk down there, but it was closed due to snow.

Devastated Area-Amazing how those large rocks traveled that far from the mountain. Nice little informative trail.

Summit Lake-Picturesque lake. Nice picnic area. Several photo opportunities.

Mill Creek Falls-We were probably the last ones on the trail before they closed it due to the visitor center construction. Had trouble finding the trail head due to snow. Slid down the mountain until we found it. It took about an hour to walk to the falls. We crossed two creeks on the way (one by bridge and one over rocks). The trail a little steep in places, but it was still a fairly easy walk. The falls are real nice and it empties into a creek that flows through a gorge. It was worth the walk. We didn't see too much wildlife, 3 deers and that was about it.

The park road-A nice drive with some great views.

My only complaint was the lack of information on the roads. Had to double back several times after we passed an attraction we were looking for.

I would like to go again when there is less snow and to hike a few trails we didn't have time to hike the first time.

9  Thank WxProphet
Reviewed January 1, 2006

Visited Lassen National Park in early August, 2005. We climbed to the top of Lassen Peak, which is over 10,000 feet up. The hike is fairly strenuous, 2,000 feet of elevation gain, although we saw kids doing it. There was lots of snow around still. The view from the top was worth it, you could see for many miles. It is also the highest point in the region so the view is unobstructed.

16  Thank Wander11452
See more reviews
Reviewed August 11, 2005

My kids and I hiked Lassen Peak one afternoon in August 2005. This is a very steep and challenging hike but can be accomplished by anyone in decent shape. All you need to do is take your time and enjoy the fabulous views along the way. It took us about 4 hours round trip with a stay at the top of about 30 minutes. The views from the peak are amazing. Most of the hike is well above the tree line so you can see forever. we encountered many small animals, birds, numerous butterflies and several varieties of wildflowers. All with the presence of deep snow in summer. The kids had a nice little snowball fight but tired quickly due to the hike and altitude. I have a small "quicktime" video of the hike on my site for anyone who is interested.

This was a great hike!