Review Highlights

via mobile
Not Hidden Anymore

CavemanHHH
Placitas, New Mexico

All reviews national park visitor center bumpass hell manzanita lake mud pots beautiful park active volcano snowball fight sulphur works lake helen auto tour takes about hours road trip red bluff the main road hiking trails strenuous hike
Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

I have wanted to go to lassen since I received my first big piece of rainbow obsidian from the lassen volcano area. As a geologist, I have longed to make the trip here and it did not disappoint. Beautiful drive, so many different geological format in in one area. Well worth the visit for anyone.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ranger told us this is becoming a very popular park. Get here before it becomes over crowded. October was a perfect time for us, very little people. This place is like a mini Yellow Stone. The volcanic mud, steam, & sulfur was amazing.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There is a lot packed into this less well known of the National Parks. There are active thermals, history of a volcano eruption that was only 100 years ago, and it is beautiful. We took a short hike around Manzanita lake in its fall colors. Unfortunately we didn't stay long enough to view more, but wish we had.

Reviewed October 6, 2018

Very scenic park . the view is magnificent . very good park for hikers that like to walk into the mountains and enjoy the places

1  Thank Zvika R
Reviewed October 1, 2018

I’d never heard of Lassen until I was researching our road trip, but so glad we came. We drove in at Lake Manganita and drive through the park - the expected one hour drive actually took the best part of the day. There’s so much to see and it’s very different from other parks because of its volcanic nature. Not to be missed

Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

This is an extraordinary place to explore with many waterfalls a lot of hiking trails! There are ample camping sites as well as kayak and cabin rentals near Manzanita Lake. Great fun for the entire family,

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

Despite the neighboring fires all across California, the lassen park was refreshingly clear of smoke. I live that it is not nearly as crowded as Yosemite. The dark sky festival was amazing, a must see. Lassen park has some of the darkest sky in the country, ideal for sky viewing. It gets cold at night, but camping is super fun. Campgrounds are well maintained. Overall, I LOVE Lassen National park. I’ve been here more than a dozen times in the past 4 years and will keep coming back. Also, one of the few active geothermal areas in california, it is the southernmost of the Cascade volcano complexes.

2  Thank grewalanoop
Reviewed August 1, 2018

It is totally out of the world. I was skeptical to go alone there and after having hardtime finding a group tour, I somehow found a 3 day tour. It is an amazing place to visit and I would highly recommend it as a family destination. However, hiking is not recommended if you are out of shape.

1  Thank Chandra K
Reviewed July 27, 2018

Honestly, I know Mount Lassen has a lot to offer. It is beautiful. I remember going as a teen and hiking the mountain, visiting the devastated area, etc. For some reason, though, on this trip it felt like we were only able to drive to a couple of spots before we had to stop and there wasn't a lot to do. Getting help wasn't easy, either. I was disappointed in how little info was available to help me find my way around.

Reviewed July 25, 2018

Out of the way, but the drive alone is a quintessential summer road trip. Take your time, slow down and connect.

1  Thank Rsfjim