“Beautiful Beyond Words”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenai Fjords National Park
Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful Beyond Words”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We toured Alaska (4 Nat'l Parks) in 2 weeks. We are very adventurous and like to hike, kayak, etc... Our travel agent told us about this lodge so we opted to start our trip in Kenai (2 nights).

Three nights might haven been better, but we opted to spend 3 nights at Kennicott Glacier Lodge in McCarthy, AK (see other review) where there are more strenuous/variety of activities. My boyfriend thought 2 nights was perfect.

This is a light - moderate activities lodge. If you are looking for more strenuous activities, this is not the place for you.

This was the nicest (and newest) of all our accommodations throughout the trip and the Kenai National Park scenery is amazing.

We tend to like 5-star properties but in Alaska, this is unrealistic. This lodge is as close to 5-star as you'll get in Alaska.

The cabins are quant and comfortable. Pull out the REI down comforter under your bed for that extra cozy feel. Most cabins have an obstructed view of Pedersen Glacer, which was the intent in building it. They were very eco-friendly and wanted to make sure the buildings blend with nature. We were in Cabin # 5 which seemed to have the least obstructed view!

It rains A LOT in Alaska and the 2 hour boat ride to the lodge was rough on the stomach due to bad weather. The second day the skies opened up to beautiful sunshine and beautiful scenery. And, we saw whales on our boat ride back to Seward, AK. Awesome!

We took the full-day kayak trip to the Aialik Glacier which was one of the highlights of the entire trip. We also did the 1/2 day Pedersen Glacier hike which was nice.

Overall, the food and staff are excellent and the rooms are charming. This lodge is worth the money and the location is unmatched. And, the mama bear with cubs we saw outside the dining hall added that extra special touch!

Turn your blackberry's and cell phones off. There is NO SERVICE in this part of the world.

We LOVE this place!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CathrynG

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed August 6, 2010

This place is AMAZING! The service, the activities, the relaxation or partying, the accommodation: everything deserves an A+. My boyfriend and I (both about 25 years old at the time) were traveling within Seward looking for something to do for a few days with no limitations besides that we wanted to kayak. So when juggling between kayaking trips, we didn't find anything within our price range that would let us get close enough to the glaciers. So we when we found what this lodge had to offer, we jumped at the opportunity.

Honestly, this place was developed for all ages, all styles of travels: from adventurous to people that just like quiet and a nice place to stay. My bf and I really ENJOYED the stay, we were able to see tons of black bear from a safe distance (or close enough if we wanted), were able to do activities which were made for people that just want to have a great time, hang out with the lodge workers at night which were extremely nice and entertaining, and eat some really great food. I have a food allergy were I can not have any dairy and they were very accommodating to that by not only making separate meals for me, but deserts as well! No additional cost. Wow, just talking about it makes me want to go back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vandehe9
denver
Reviewed July 18, 2010

If you like outdoor activities, wildlife viewing in a beautiful scenic place, gourmet food, and hot shower, make sure you visit this place. The previous reviewer did a great job describing this place I don't need to say anymore. We stayed 3 days/2 nights and had a grand time. I'll definitely come to this lodge again (or try others run by Alaska Wildland Adventure).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tabby592
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We stayed there for 2 nts/2 days. Our experience at the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge was worth every penny we spent on it. Nestled amidst the temperate rain forest in the Kenai Fjords National Park is this hidden gem of a place with absolutely stunning views of the Pederson Glacier from every one of its 16 cabins. The cabins themselves take eco tourism to a whole new level with charming wooden construction made from local trees and thoughtful sewage disposal systems. The cabins are very clean and make an attempt to provide every urban comfort even in the wilderness.
Not that anyone would want to spend too much time inside their cabins: the place offers a lot for the active and adventurous kind through beautiful kayaking excursions in the calm waters of Aialik Bay and hiking through the temperate forest. The aim of both is to take in the surreal views of the surrounding snow covered mountains and waters on all sides. There were always multiple members of the staff on each excursion, who were all extremely knowledgeable and patient. This made the trip fun and safe even for first timers like us. Some of the longer kayaking trips are quite strenuous when paddling against the current and therefore do demand good physical fitness. Since there seem to be more staff than guests at any time in the lodge, the attentive staff arrange so each person is engaged and taken care of.
One last word, this place is truly away from civilization with no telephone service or internet. Both are available for emergencies only. This turned out to be a real boon for us as it finally gave us a space where we could leave our wallets, keys, phones and worries behind. Also, since this is accessible by boat only bad weather in the open seas could have you stranded there for at least a couple of days. I would advise keeping the itinerary flexible to allow such changes. As it happened, we ended up staying there an extra night due to weather at the management's expense but we were really glad to stay!
All in all, beautiful environs, attentive staff, scrumptious food, comfortable beds - would go back there in a second! Do not give it a pass at any cost!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank gypsygirl6
Alaska
Reviewed June 29, 2010

This is the second trip I have made to the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge and once again it was a truly amazing experience. I live in Seward so it is in my backyard. I have done about ever tourist type trip the state has to offer and I have to say this one is hands down the best. The staff the amazing trips and the unique scenery, flora, fauna, etc....I agree with one of the reviewers that did not want to let the secret out and while I would love to keep this place all to myself there is no way to keep a place this spectacular a secret. Get there before it gets booked up months in advance.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank AlaskaDeb
Chicago
Reviewed January 12, 2010

This is an amazing lodge, literally in the middle of the Kenai Fjords Glacier Park, accessible only by boat or helicopter. The adventure begins with the 2 hour boatride from Seward during which we saw eagles, whales, otters, and sea lions. The lodge itself is amazing. It literally blends into the scenery. The cabins are quaint and well appointed with amazing views and tons of privacy.

Food: The food at the lodge is phenomenal. Breakfast every day, a "bag" lunch for the day's adventures, a "cocktail, appetizer" hour and then communal dinner. Each morning after breakfast, we all prepared our own bag lunch -- from a wonderful selection of fresh bread, cheese, meats, veggies, cookies, etc. And did I mention there is a pastry chef?

Activities: Not a boring moment. The kayaking is incredible - and not for the weak or out of shape. You are literally kayaking up to calving glaciers. The access to the outdoors is unparalleled. There are plans to work on some hiking trails around the lodge, which would be great. We saw so much wildlife -- bears literally walked past our cabin daily.

We stayed three nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff is professional, polite - and very up to speed with the ecological concerns of the area. The guides were all excellent - very knowledgeable about safety, wildlife and the environment.

Seriously, go there now. This is how Alaska is meant to be seen.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank WPS-76
Hilton Head Island, SC
Reviewed October 22, 2009

I was the last guest to get in to the lodge this season. Another group was supposed to arrive the day after I did, but a gale out in the Gulf of Alaska generated 14 foot seas, making the 50 mile trip from Seward by boat impossible. Even though the Gulf was blowing hard, you would never know it at KFGL. The weather was a mix of sun and rain and gentle breezes--pretty typical of maritime Alaska. The lodge and its sixteen cabins are a wonder to behold. Extremely comfortable, yet built to the strictest environmental standards. When Alaska Wildland Adventures built this place, they went to great pains to preserve the pristine nature of the site. For example, if they had to remove moss to build a cabin, they transplanted it elsewhere. While every cabin and the main lodge have fabulous glacier views, they are sited in such a way as to be completely invisible from Aialik Bay and virtually invisible from the outer lagoon as well. When I returned from my paddle to the glacier, I couldn't see the buildings until I was less than a quarter of a mile away.

As good as the hotel/lodge side of this place is, the real gem is the experienced staff AWA hired to expose their guests to a true wilderness experience. These young people were extremely knowledgeable and worked very hard to make sure each and every guest had the experience of a lifetime. If you go, read the comments in the Guest Book that is kept in the living room--you will see what I mean. I won't go into detail about the wildlife and natural beauty that surrounds this place--the other reviewers have done a great job describing what I personally experienced.

I have had a +20 year in the travel business and have traveled all over the world. I can unequivocally say that I have never had a more pleasing stay anywhere. Bring your family, travel with friends, or come by yourself as I did. I am pretty sure you will find it the experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge
The Breeze Inn
The Breeze Inn
#5 of 14 in Seward

Been to Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge? Share your experiences!