“Absolutely Amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenai Fjords National Park
Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge
Arizona
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

The lodge is located in one of the most beautiful places I've ever been! The staff and accommodations were incredible, especially for being in such a remote location. We had an amazing time kayaking, hiking, and viewing wildlife. We were lucky enough to see Humpbacks, Orcas, Otters, Stellar Sea Lions, Puffins, Black bears and more! You probably won't have to book any additional boat tours from Seward, there was plenty of time on the lodge's boat and the captain's know where to look for wildlife! My husband and I will definitely take another trip out the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge as soon as we can!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Verdin137

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Decatur, Ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

Of Alaska Wildlands three lodges in the Kenai, the Glacier Lodge near Pederson lagoon is by the far the best. The staff are all very proud of what they built from Spring 2008 to Spring 2009. All staff are very talented and knowledgable. The trip there on the "Orca Point" was a great trip with lots of sights and animals along the way. The lodge and cabins are pristine. Plenty of hiking and kayaking acitivities to not only Pederson Glacier, but to the glacier up the bay. Plenty of wild animals all around including bears, bald eagles, seals and Sea Otters. This is a definite must for those who need to "get away from it all"

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank deltaflot
arlington, va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

This lodge is wonderful, especially if you like kayaking.

And perhaps a description of my experience would be helpful.

The lodge is deep in Kenai Fjords National Park, set on the lower Pedersen Lagoon anda short walk from Aialik Bay. Accomodations are 15 lagoonfront cabins, each with a small proch with rockers. There is also a lodge with a small dining room, sitting areas and a small bar.

I was there in late July, and it pretty much rained all of the time. The lodge provides high quality rain gear, which strongly mitigates what could otherwise be misery. Indeed, I went on a multi hour paddle to Aialik Glacier in a steady rain and upon my return did not feel I needed to change clothers afterwards.

But here is the itinerary they provided for my 1 night trip.

On day one, I reported to their office in Seward's Holiday Inn Express. They directed me to their put in, where I parked my rental car for $5 per day. The system for payment is a bit unfamiliar, but their staff makes it all easy. Alternatively, guests may park across the street in downtown Seward. On my departure date, the boat left for the lodge at 8:00, although I understand it sometimes leaves at noon or so. The early departure was a bonus, as it provided additional time at the lodge. They provided coffee, fruit and pastries on the boat ride, which was shared with a group of day paddlers who returned to the lodge later that day. The seas were pretty rough, which slowed the boat at bit, and we got to the lodge around 11:30. The exit from the boar involves the boat moving up to the shore, opening its front gate and walking along a plank to the shore. From the shore, the lodge was a 15 minute walk, but they had a golf cart with trailer carry our luggage.

On the walk to the lodge, I saw my the first of many black bears I saw during my trip. Upon arrival at the lodge, I was breathtaken. It was a picture perfect Alaska maritime lodge and the back windows overlook Lower Pedersen Lagoon and Pedersen Glacier. They provided a light lunch, and sent us off to our cabins, where our luggage was waiting for us. My cabin had two full beds, a bathroom, and a back porch with rockers overlooking the lower lagoon. Decor was spot on for the location.

In the early afternoon, we went on a "lazy" paddle around the lower lagoon, seeing bears, birds, waterfalls, mountains, etc.

On account of the timing of the evening paddle (discussed below), dinner was early (5:00, I believe). The food was hearty. There was, however, only one choice of entree, which might be troublesome to picky eaters. And the one choice was "Caribbean Pork Loin" (pork loin with a curry sauce). I found this choice rather bizarre given the setting. But I did not come for the food.

In the early evening, we paddled to the upper lagoon. Please note that the upper lagoon is perhaps 3 to 4 feet above sea level, and the timing of access depends on the timing of the high tide. Hence, others might do this trip in the morning, afternoon or some other time. The upper lagoon, despite a steady drizzle/rain was otherworldly, with huge icebergs and waterfalls. The upper lagoon is sufficently ice choked that you never really get to the face of Pederson glacier.

Upon our return, desert and cheeses were available, and the bar opened up (drink prices were indeed quite reasonable).

In the morning, coffee was available at 6:30, with a buffet breakfast served at 8:00. Think juices, coffee, cereals, baked goods, eggs, oatmeal - no bacon/sausage however. At the end of breakfast, the lodge set out breads, meats, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. for guests to make their own sandwiches to eat on their day activities. Cookies, chips, sodas, kashi bars, etc. were also available.

My day activity was the Aialik paddle and the highlight of my week in Alaska. The paddle was about 3 miles each way, and despite the rain, Aialik Bay was like a lake. Aialik glacier calves pretty prodigiously, and the paddle was fantastic.

After the paddle, we returned to the lodge, warmed up with hot chocolate and coffee and, regretable, left. The return boat trip was a bit more calm, and we returned to Seward by 5:30.

I was very impressed with the lodge, and more so with the staff. I think there were 18 guests when I was there, and there were 13 staff to keep me comfortable. I was able to get a very nice deal on account of the lodge being in its first year of operation. But even at full price, given that meals and activities are included, the lodge provides a good value.

Enjoy!

Seward Windsong Lodge
#2 of 14 in Seward
Alaska Creekside Cabins
Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge

Been to Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge? Share your experiences!