“Wow!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenai Fjords National Park
Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge
Chatham, Massachusetts
“Wow!!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Wonderfully comfortable rooms with instant hot water showers, beautiful views, small private decks and lots of privacy. Friendly, professional staff, remarkable guides. Canoeing, hiking, kayaking. Terrific food. Relaxed, comfortable. Amazing wildlife. Couldn't have been better!

If you want TV and Internet, forget it. If you want personal attention, magnificent views, comfortable accommodations, great food, an eco-friendly approach, and terrific guides, you've got the right spot.

Would go back again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jan C
AlaskaWild_13, General Manager at Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
We're always happy to hear from travelers who enjoyed the peace and solitude of Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge. Sometimes it's nice to unplug from the work-a-day world of cell phones and internet access to appreciate the quiet wonders of the natural world.

Please visit us again!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I started planning a trip to Alaska in July of this year for the last of week of August travel which is really cutting it close for availability. I stumbled across Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge on the internet and my immediate reaction was "Yes. Oh Yes, I HAVE to go there!" I was traveling solo and fortunately they had space, I built my entire trip around this focal point. If you read the website and you read the reviews and like what you read there is no possibility of being disappointed here.

We left Seward harbor on The Viewfinder which is a Major Marine ship that was borrowed due to the Wildlander being down that day. It was like some Hollywood production where someone said, "hey, these people are paying us good money to see scenery and wildlife so; Cue the sea otters, cue the orcas, cue the Stellar sea lions, cue the puffins, cue the dolphins, oh and send in a bald eagle. Oh, and can you have the black bear grazing across the lagoon when we get there? Great." It was just one wildlife delight after another and that was just on the boat trip out. Sandwiches in front of the cracking and calving Holgate Glacier was beautiful and a little sad, I don't like to see the reminders of climate change personally. Everyone started to get to know each other on the boat, after all these are the people you're going to be in the wilderness with for the next several days.

We were met on the beach by staff with a cart to take our bags and we walked in about half a mile to the lodge. I love the eco-friendliness of it and the care they take not to interfere with the wildlife. There are resident otters and harbor seals in the lagoon as well as the bears best viewed from the canoes. One day we were only about 25 yards from a grazing bear in a canoe and he was aware we were there but wasn't too bothered by it. This place is a dream for wildlife watching and the telescope in the lodge window is fun.

The story of how they built the lodge and cabins is incredible, they made a coffee table book out of it and it's a great story. The cabins are not luxurious but they are very sturdy and well crafted as well as comfortable. I found the rain on the tin roof hte one day it did rain to be hugely relaxing but others had issues sleeping with the noise. The family style meals were delicious and fun, the staff goes way out of the way to accommodate allergies and preferences when they're notified in advance. Fresh halibut, salmon, lamb, and prime rib were the entrees while I was there. The heavy appetizers at the bar time before dinner were creative and delicious too. A Glacierita cooled with Pedersen glacier ice chunks is obviously a requirement at least once.

I got to know some really incredible people in my 4 nights there, many from other countries. Meals were times spent comparing photos, comparing daily activities and talking about respective countries and lives (yes, it can get lively because everyone is so excited about their day). The staff and guides, largely female (go girls!), were very competent and knowledgeable and took the time to talk to all the guests and share their knowledge of the flora and fauna. They all had interesting backstories too, a couple are on their way to Antarctica this winter and I envy their adventures! The activities are geared to all different levels. I did a hike to Pedersen upper lagoon to the icebergs, a hike and canoe to Addison lake to see salmon, Slate island half day kayak, and lots and lots of walking around on my own and with new friends down to the beaches and around the nature loops. They were all wonderful in their own way and I have the most amazing pictures!

I have a stressful job and I was looking to totally disconnect from real life and just hike, and kayak, and canoe, and watch wildlife. I brought electronics with me to read books or watch movies and I didn't pick them up once. Why would I? The view from the rocking chairs was better than anything I brought and conversation with the interesting guests and staffs was more fun. If you're the kind of person who needs constant stimulation and activity then you may struggle here with no internet and no phones and no TV. But if you can go with the flow you will fall in love. Every now and then weather kicks up and the boats don't run, we were warned there was a 50/50 chance the boats wouldn't run on the day I was scheduled to go back to Seward and they offered us the chance to leave early. Some people did leave but I decided I would be THRILLED to be 'stuck' for another day. My plans had some flexibility and I'm so glad I stayed for the moody, rainy day that followed since all the earlier week had been sunny and beautiful. It made for great contrast.

So I don't know exactly when I'll be back but I will be back. Sometimes you're lucky in your travels to find lodging that isn't just a place to stay, it's an event and a destination unique unto itself, this lodge is one of those special places.

Room Tip: There are fewer cabins on one side which I preferred. Cabins 11 and higher are on the less traveled...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank SBBanjo
AlaskaWild_13, General Manager at Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
We are so very pleased that you were able to break away from the stresses of work this summer and soak up the serenity of Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge. We are honored to host amazing travelers like yourself who take the time to connect not only with nature, but with other people (be it other travelers or our staff). Your stories and experiences are an important part of what we do - thank you again for sharing!
Columbus, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2013

View was beyond belief. Staff had to be sore from bending over backwards. Staff was completely trained for any possibility, and were super knowledgeable. Activities were well planned and completely awesome. 100% of gear provided, but be sure to pack plenty of warm wool to wear! I want to go back!!!!!!! My advice: Stay more days. We had planned 5, but were cut to 4 due to the weather.

Room Tip: Stay more days than less days. The weather could cut your trip short.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Theresa G
AlaskaWild_13, General Manager at Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
We were so happy to have hosted you this summer! Our staff really appreciates your kind words - we work as hard as possible to make our guests happy.

Take care!
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The total package of outstanding scenery, accommodations and guides, and worth the price. A great place for anyone to dip their toe in the wilderness while staying at a very comfortable lodge. They offer a variety of daily full and half-day excursions, and we took advantage of a half-day kayak trip across the bay, a hike on the ridge overlooking the area, and a canoe/hike to the lagoon at the foot of Pederson Glacier. Icebergs everywhere! The boat ride to and from Seward was great because the captain and crew can vary their stopping points based on what wildlife is in the water that day (humpback whales, a raft of otters, sea birds), and the interests of the passengers (we wanted to see puffins for the first time). We went later in the summer, which risks more rain but hardly any bugs. We were lucky in that the three days we were there hit a nice spot of weather. If i did this again, I would couple this trip with one of their other lodges on the Kenai peninsula.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PCTDayHiker
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences! We're pleased that the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge met your expectations, and yes, please come back to visit our other properties (Kenai Riverside Lodge and Kenai Backcountry Lodge).
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Many folks have commented on all the positive aspects of this experience. I would have to second them in this regard. As a 30 year resident of Alaska who has travelled to most of the visitor destinations and had many fantastic experiences I would put this easily up in the top 5 in the state. The attention to detail, outstanding staff and the ability to overcome weather as needed is an unbeatable combination. I would gladly go back anytime to do more of the adventures offered.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad cabin. Handicap cabin very convienent to lodge
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank steve h
AlaskaWild_13, General Manager at Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback! We are humbled by your comments and are so pleased you were able to visit Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge this summer.
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This review won't be a thousand words but it will be an enthusiastic endorsement of the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, a lengthy boat ride away from Seward Alaska and worlds away from the noise and hustle of our everyday lives. The visual beauty of the sea and mountains from the small boat was jaw dropping, and the crew stopped often so we could watch or photograph the marine mammals we saw throughout the journey. The ride turned out to be an introduction to the magnificent setting of the lodge, built on the edge of a glacial lake and with wide open views to the glacier hanging across and above the way. Each individual cabin had lovely views onto the glacier across the lake . Those cabin accommodations are a bit more than basic but the main lodge building is lovely with places to sit, inside or out on the large deck, to read or to enjoy a generous happy hour before joining others for delicious dinners. This is the only development on the peninsula and its remoteness adds to the sense that you are alone in the world. We had wonderful weather in early August of this year and the glacier and lake sparkled in the sun. Bears, otters, eagles, wild salmon berries and blueberries, challenging or easy hikes and kayaking, friendly staff who remembered your name, all added up to a memorable adventure. I won't need a 1,000 words to remember how pristine and unique were the views, the staff and the experience. Nor will you.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin that is farther along the trail from the Lodge, we had # 16 and it was set a bit of...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KateLosGatos
AlaskaWild_13, General Manager at Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
What a wonderful recap of your experience! Thank you for visiting us, and we're thrilled you were able to enjoy the coastal views, wildlife sightings and fun activities.
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent two nights here as part of a week-long Alaska Wildlands Adventures tour (AWA runs the lodge, which was built on a native corporation in-holding). Wow! Embarking from Seward on the AWA Wildlander catamaran, we spent four hours on the water on a perfect day -- flat water and, except for spotty fog, sunshine all the way. Whales, sea otters, sea lions, seals, sea birds, and lots of glaciers along the way. The boat had an open area at the stern with seating, so one could ride outside if they wished; most stayed inside the protected cabin. The lodge is accessible only from the water. It sits back from the water and, in fact, cannot be seen from Aialik Bay; it is nestled in a spruce grove, on Pedersen Lagoon, with striking views of Pedersen Glacier from the lodge and all of the 16 cabins. It took us about 15-20 minutes to walk along an unimproved road from our beaching area to the lodge. Orientation included a trip around the lagoon with 10 of us in a voyageur canoe, where we saw black bear, sea otter and several species of sea birds. Other options included hikes and kayaking, or just sitting around. Rubber boots and a limited number of umbrellas were available as needed to participate in the activities. The food was excellent, served family style, with the option for bar drinks each afternoon. The staff was fantastic -- friendly, enthusiastic and very capable. The log cabins were nicely furnished, with heating units and private showers. (Be prepared for the power to fail while you're in the shower -- it happened once during our stay. Power was restored within five minutes, but it was a soapy five minutes.) On our final day, the sunshine gave way to rain and a steady breeze. The boat ride back was not quite so pleasant but doable, with three foot swells (at least) in the Gulf of Alaska as we rounded Aialik Cape and a steady rain all the way back to Seward. But... it was an adventure, as advertised. One final note -- not recommended for those who have trouble walking; a general guideline is that visitors should be able to walk three or four hours at a steady pace without difficulty. There are no cars here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank WYbirdwatcher
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! We are very pleased that you enjoyed the boat trips, canoeing, kayaking and hiking options during your stay. Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenai Fjords National Park
Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge
The Breeze Inn
The Breeze Inn
#6 of 14 in Seward

Been to Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge? Share your experiences!