All reviews fly fishing great fishing trout fishing experience great variety world class the river wonderful hosts alaskan wilderness look no further fishermen women owners chris anyone who wants various locations early season remote location a great experience
Reviewed August 28, 2017

Every part of the experience of staying at Royal Wolf Lodge was delightfully amazingl. This is my second trip to Royal Wolf Lodge and I highly recommend it. The guides, pilots and staff are outstanding, the meals were delicious and beautifully presented, the opportunities for breath taking photographs were constant, flying to different river systems each day was a highlight and the fly fishing is simply unbelievable. Each comfortable cabin is within close proximity of the lodge and each has it's own spectacular view. If you are wondering about treating yourself and booking at Royal Wolf Lodge for the ultimate Alaskan fly fishing adventure... just do it!

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
KatmaiKate, Owner at Royal Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2017

Thank you Ray, it was a pleasure having you and your son at the lodge.

Reviewed August 12, 2017 via mobile

Fished for 6 days with my father and had the best time of any of our trips to Alaska. The pilots are excellent, food is great and staff is like a family. Fishing and knowledge of the rivers is second to none with one giant rainbow after another. I have been to other lodges in this area before but non compare....awesome would be an understate!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
KatmaiKate, Owner at Royal Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2017

Thank you so much for your kind review, we loved you and your father as well and hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2017

August of 2016 was my 11th trip to Royal Wolf Lodge and every one was the trip of a lifetime. The food is always excellent even when they have to find a new chef, it seems Chris and Linda have a natural ability to hire great people for their staff.
I am a pilot and am always in awe of how well all of the pilots at the lodge fly, it has been a highlight all it's own just riding with them. The guides are highly skilled and very patient. Their desire for the guests to catch fish and have a great time is refreshing. The rooms are always clean with attention to detail.
The fishing has been world class even when conditions were not always the best. We moved from one stream to another on rare occasions when conditions dictated, once because there were too many salmon in a stream to fish for the trout and char. The guides are sure to point out plants and animals I might have missed because the fishing was too attention consuming. Having the bears so close while we were on the streams is an added bonus. I have always respected the bears but the guides make sure we are safe and I've never felt threatened. I have been lucky enough to see wolves on a couple of occasions and count myself lucky for the experience.
If you are planning on going to a special place I think Royal Wolf fits the bill and I will be returning for year number 12 with all the excitement every other year has generated.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
KatmaiKate, Owner at Royal Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words, we enjoy having you be a part of Royal Wolf Lodge and look forward to the next trip.

Reviewed March 16, 2017

We visited as a party of six and our main aim was to watch the bears catching salmon. We did lots of research beforehand to try to find the best place in Alaska for bear watching. I think we hit the jackpot!! Linda was very helpful, promptly replied to my numerous emails and our trip to Royal Wolf was the highlight of our three week holiday! The accommodation was lovely, great food, wonderful staff and our many encounters with bears were out of this world! It brought a whole new meaning to up close and personal! Each evening you chat with the staff about what you want to do the next day and they also offer suggestions - it's your holiday you decide! The next day you fly off with a very tasty packed lunch and very knowledgeable guides. We got some fantastic photos and brought back wonderful memories. We did try fishing while we were there and that was fun, but walking down the river with bears all around us was the best experience for us! The views from the lodge are amazing. The set-up is a bit like a ski chalet where you eat meals on one long table with the other guests so that was fun swapping stories. Royal Wolf is very expensive, but I think all lodges in that area are pricey and Royal Wolf is certainly more luxurious than other lodges we saw. All transport is by plane so that obviously makes everything costly. Being the USA you need to factor in that tips are extra - something we stupidly hadn't thought about and which pushed us over our budget. We stayed for five days and so had to charter our own plane one way. It worked out cheaper to book our own flight through a local agent rather than pay for a Royal Wolf private charter (if you stay for one week your flights are included so no independent flights required). Staying at Royal Wolf should be on everyone's 100 things to do before you die bucket list! Get saving now!

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed September 22, 2016

Lots of the reviews comment on how Royal Wolf Lodge is a great place for serious fly fisherman. I think it is a great place for novices too.

I have never done any fly fishing before, so when the opportunity for this trip came up I was quite apprehensive. I thought I would hang out at the Lodge most of the time while my husband fished. Royal Wolf is the perfect spot to hang out if you aren't fishing. Everyone is welcoming and friendly and the Lodge is a great place to hang out. It turns out though the fishing is irresistible! All the Guides were very patient and helped me catch A LOT of fish! Linda and Chris are wonderful hosts, the meals were awesome, and the staff was kind and helpful. This trip is on my top 10 best things I have done in my life!

Room tip: The cabins are all great and have beautiful views
Date of stay: September 2016