All reviews fly fishing great fishing trout fishing experience great variety world class the river wonderful hosts alaskan wilderness look no further fishermen women owners chris anyone who wants various locations early season remote location a great experience
Reviewed March 16, 2017

We visited as a party of six and our main aim was to watch the bears catching salmon. We did lots of research beforehand to try to find the best place in Alaska for bear watching. I think we hit the jackpot!! Linda was very helpful, promptly replied to my numerous emails and our trip to Royal Wolf was the highlight of our three week holiday! The accommodation was lovely, great food, wonderful staff and our many encounters with bears were out of this world! It brought a whole new meaning to up close and personal! Each evening you chat with the staff about what you want to do the next day and they also offer suggestions - it's your holiday you decide! The next day you fly off with a very tasty packed lunch and very knowledgeable guides. We got some fantastic photos and brought back wonderful memories. We did try fishing while we were there and that was fun, but walking down the river with bears all around us was the best experience for us! The views from the lodge are amazing. The set-up is a bit like a ski chalet where you eat meals on one long table with the other guests so that was fun swapping stories. Royal Wolf is very expensive, but I think all lodges in that area are pricey and Royal Wolf is certainly more luxurious than other lodges we saw. All transport is by plane so that obviously makes everything costly. Being the USA you need to factor in that tips are extra - something we stupidly hadn't thought about and which pushed us over our budget. We stayed for five days and so had to charter our own plane one way. It worked out cheaper to book our own flight through a local agent rather than pay for a Royal Wolf private charter (if you stay for one week your flights are included so no independent flights required). Staying at Royal Wolf should be on everyone's 100 things to do before you die bucket list! Get saving now!

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed September 22, 2016

Lots of the reviews comment on how Royal Wolf Lodge is a great place for serious fly fisherman. I think it is a great place for novices too.

I have never done any fly fishing before, so when the opportunity for this trip came up I was quite apprehensive. I thought I would hang out at the Lodge most of the time while my husband fished. Royal Wolf is the perfect spot to hang out if you aren't fishing. Everyone is welcoming and friendly and the Lodge is a great place to hang out. It turns out though the fishing is irresistible! All the Guides were very patient and helped me catch A LOT of fish! Linda and Chris are wonderful hosts, the meals were awesome, and the staff was kind and helpful. This trip is on my top 10 best things I have done in my life!

Room tip: The cabins are all great and have beautiful views
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank AKBeeBalm
Reviewed August 29, 2016

My fishing friend and I were in Kamchatka last year but I believe our trip to the Royal Wolf Lodge exceed even that adventure for the variety and quality of the fishing. I was also surprised with the quality of the nationally known guides and their world wide experience. Their patience and coaching created a tremendous atmosphere for a fishing experience that would be difficult to beat anywhere in the world. The sign of a well run lodge is the fact that for the most part these guides have all been at Royal Wolf for multiple years. They wouldn't keep coming back if the fishing wasn't the best and the lodge run well.

The capability of the pilots was also obvious from the outset. There was no pushing the envelope in the always changing Alaska weather and their willingness to try the conditions and good decision process when things turned bad put us in the best available fishing spots, safely and dependably. The geography of the Katmai area helps because of the almost endless selection of rivers and lakes and these pilots know them all and can easily divert to another location when conditions become unfavorable at the planned spot. The pilots local knowledge and flexibility allowed us to extend one trip and divert another from a good river to a better river when the first became doubtful. A pilot with a lot of destination options is always safer.

The size of the fish, the variety of the fishing and the quality of the guides make this a unbeatable destination and yes, the food was amazing too.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2016

Royal Wolf Lodge has the best owners, at the best location for rainbow trout, and is clearly the best fly fishing lodge in Alaska. I have traveled the world, including Brand X down the river from Royal Wolf Lodge, and nobody is as good.

The fishing guides are world class (with very impressive resumes). They really are famous; one is in a book called River Gods, another in a TV show called Fly Fishing America, another filmed Trout Bum Diaries and started the Fly Fishing Film Festival, etc.

The food was over the top good, even for this "foodie", and the staff are wonderful.

A real treat is the sauna and they even have an excellent masseuse on site to help you relax after catching 20+ rainbow trout a day, all over 15 inches, always some over 20 inches. Their real secret is how to get you to a spot no other lodge can visit with the use of special aircraft. Oh, and the pilots, with a huge number of hours in this specific aircraft called a Helio are very safe and don't take chances like I have seen other lodges do with float planes. They even have a very nice Caravan to fly you from Anchorage right to the door of this beautiful lodge in the middle of the National Park.

The bear viewing is unbelievable, truly a lifetime memory.

I normally don't go on this long in a review, but I just have to tell you the reader...book it now. You don't need to look anywhere else, this is the lodge you dream of when you visit Alaska to go fly fishing.

Room tip: They have single cabins for solo and couples, and duplex cabins if you are in a group.
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
KatmaiKate, Owner at Royal Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2016

Your review is very kind, and we appreciate you writing such a warm and glowing review. Of course we enjoyed your company as well, you are a great part of what makes us try hard to be the best. Thank you, from the entire staff!

Reviewed August 9, 2016

We went to Royal Wolf Lodge in June, we were so excited to fly fish for Rainbows and our fishing experience was beyond our dreams. When you read all the information about the lodge and the fishing on their Web pages, it is all TRUE.
We loved flying out every morning to fish a different stream with a new guide. The guides were so knowledgeable and personable, they helped us with our fishing techniques and made us feel special.
The accommodations were excellent , the food incredible and the staff made you feel like part of a their family.
We highly recommend Royal Wolf Lodge for anyone who wants a unique fishing adventure. We can't wait to go back to fish and make more memories in a place where we felt welcomed and appreciated.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
KatmaiKate, Owner at Royal Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2016

Thank you, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We welcome you back anytime!