“Highly recommendable- better climber now.”

Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I can only recommend Joshua Tree Rock Climbing school!

After the Intermediate Rock Weekend with Mark Bowling, I am definitely a better climber; not only because I was able to climb many technically different routes but also because of the knowledge I gained (anchoring,, climbing techniques, proper choice of equipment and its use/ application and about safety).
Mark is an extremely experienced climber who leaves nothing to chances. He quickly gained the trust of the group. I felt absolutely safe to try new moves and methods and feel confident to use them in the future.
Mark is understanding and empathic which enabled him to help the attendees to overcome fears and struggles.

If you are new to outdoor climbing, you could not possibly find a better adviser.
I will be back to work with Mark on my leading skills!

There are newer reviews for Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We had a 4 year old and an 8 year old with us and someone I never thought Id see get to the top of a mountain. Mark had pre-set up the ropes and was ready to go when we arrived at Hidden Valley to meet him. The kids tried on rock climbing shoes, belts and helmets. We ended up using their skateboard helmets - which were fine for the job. Mark sent me up first - told me how to get to the top, ring the bell and come back down. Next it was my 8 year old, she got half way up. Then the 4 year old. After a few stops he made it to the top. Mark said he was the youngest he had seen do it. Of course my 8 year old now HAD to do it - and she did.
Then Mark took us to another rock area where he had ropes set up and off we went!
It seems completely safe. Mark has a ton of experience and knows how to set the ropes. Once he has the harness in place and the belay on - he is able to control the descent of the climber. He had me hold the other rope - at the back of the kids. The kids climbed freely but you knew that you could hold them on the rope at any point if something went wrong.
We will be back.
We had the kids in pants - which Id recommend. I had shorts on and was fine - but think pants are probably a better idea. We also had lots of sunscreen, water and sunglasses

2  Thank Kelvinlily
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Our family has intermediate to advanced indoor-heavy climbing experience, but less outdoor. Our private half-day guiding session could only have been better if it had been a full day. Steve provided EXACTLY the experience we were looking for - additional instruction on setting safe anchors, climbing tips and got us to places that we never could have gotten ourselves. JT has great climbing, but is a little hard to reach if you aren't a trad climber (for rope climbing) armed with a guidebook (for ropes or boulders). Go for the full day!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I almost never write reviews but I was moved to write this one after spending two days with Scott Cole from the Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School. My friend and I flew out from Tennessee for a two-day course. This was to be the "intermediate level" class, but it was tailored perfectly to our different needs. After calling several other area services I was a little worried but after I interviewed Mark Bowling on the phone, I felt pretty good that we'd have a good time and learn a lot. The website was easy to use and we received prompt confirmations of our reservations.

Scott is such a fantastic, fascinating guy and what a wonderful instructor! His credibility is built from a lifetime of experience and that made such a difference to us. I've been climbing for about 23 years, with an 8 year hiatus, and sometimes receiving instruction from young guys who might have a certificate or have been climbing hard for 5-6 years is a little difficult for me. They often cannot explain why something is done, just that "that's how it is" or "I learned that in a class last year". This is why I was pretty excited when I interviewed the business owner (Mark) on the phone, and he said the instructors were typically over 50. Since resuming climbing, I've sought out instruction from a variety of people and though some younger folks are good climbers, their instruction does not resonate with me in the same way as learning from Scott. In addition to having credibility, he is incredibly technically sound and had excellent reasons behind all of his "preaching" (his term). Scott was also a ton of fun to be around, professional and punctual. We truly enjoyed meeting and climbing with him, and will be employing much of what we learned very soon. The rock was superb too. I hope to come back another time.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I learned to climb here many moons ago, I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn the
basics. instructors are some of the best climbers in the country.

1  Thank crossroads2013