“very interesting”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Pete Edisen Fishery
More attraction details
Owner description: Old fishery now a living history museum maintained by the National Park Service.
Bridgman, Michigan
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“very interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

took the boat tour over to the Edisen Fishery which included a visit to the Wolf/Moose research station run by the Petersons (known globally for their research which spans 50 or so years now). really worthwhile!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank amy f

Glencoe, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Enchanted Isle Royale and the Edisen Fishery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2003

First of all I should note that I first went to Isle Royale in 1972, and visited regularly until 1983. During the early years I knew Pete Edisen quite well. He was then in his 70's and lived in the fishery in the summer with his wife. Subsequently, she passed away-I was on the island when she became ill and had to be evacuated to their winter home in Minnesota. Pete did not come back that summer, but in subsequent years he continued to stay at the fishery in the summer until his death several years later. I think he looked on the personnel of the National Park Service and the tourists as his family. I'm not sure if he ever had children of his own. He was really a piece of living history. He had commercially fished around Isle Royale for 40 years and spent several winters there. In the early years he still fished, and I had to be careful of his nets when using a fishing boat. He was always friendly, talkative and eager to share his stories, which were many and marvellous. My son was a preteen when we first visited and they became good friends. The highlight one summer is when we arrived on a large wooden schooner, courtesy of a sailing friend of mine who was touring Lake Superior. Pete claimed he hadn't seen a vessel like that since leaving Norway as a young man. Following his death, the fishery became the property of the National Park Service, and it was undergoing extensive restoration using traditional building methods when I last visited. The lighthouse had also undergone extensive restoration, even though it is no longer a navigation marker and the optical equipment had been removed. Isle Royale is a special place, magical for the right people. It's one of my favorite places on earth, with wildlife viewing that is often better than Alaska, though less varied. It lacks many creature comforts, but at least in the lodge is hardly primitive. Camping is of course the best way for getting the feeling of the place, but don't avoid it even if you are not up to camping. The lack of bears on the island makes camping easier, though foxes and racoons can be mischevious. The wolves are heard occasionally but rarely seen. The trails are rocky and rough with many hills. Backpackers with more experience than me have found the trails to be quite tough. In recent years Scuba diving has become quite popular on the many island shipwrecks, but it is tough cold water diving, which I haven't tried, even though open water certified. Getting there is somewhat difficult, but an adventure in itself, whether you go by float plane (in my opinion the best way), or by boat. It is worth the effort. I hope to visit again soon.

27 Thank maconmac