“Awesome history”

Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The hike wasn't too bad at all, and the park did a great job of maintaining the integrity of nature (not clearing things out to make a trail). This was a big spot for me, being into history, but I can see it being a bit of a disappointment for those not as interested in history.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Uneven trail over rocks which is 7/10 mile one way. Petroglyphs are interesting, but not real distinct.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I've enjoyed viewing petroglyphs in the desert southwest & also enjoyed these. I find them transportive, causing me to wonder about those who made them, how they lived & what their purpose was in creating them.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I did this hike as part of our day at Volcanoes National Park. The hike out is a true hike - it's short, but you're really climbing on rocks, there's no real trail. Even though some of the petroglyphs were faded/difficult to see, I really liked knowing on a site that was important to native Hawaiians. There is a wooden path built around the petroglyphs when you get there, so you can walk the path, view the petroglyphs, and read the posted educational information. There was not a ton to see but I found it to be a bit of a spiritual experience, in terms of connecting with older traditions and the importance of the site. I'm not sure everyone would think it worth it (in terms of views, it's no crater), but I did.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

This area was rated highly in several guide books we had consulted. It is a very windy walk about 20 minutes over old pahoehoe lava flow with mounds of rocks marking the way. I have seen much better petroglyphs in Utah, but these were worth the time. Very interesting piece of Hawaiian history. Parents would carve out a small hole to put their child's umbilical cord in. There are hundreds and hundreds of these. The reason that this is a sacred place, so the boardwalk keeps hikers off the rocks themselves at the very end of the trail. There are also images and pictures, some of which are clear, such as a turtle and starfish (or octopus?) I am glad we made the trek.

1  Thank Becky053