“Are substitutions a Hawaiian thing?”

Uncle George's Lounge
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Denver, Colorado
“Are substitutions a Hawaiian thing?”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Uncle George's Lounge is a very nice place with great views of the volcano crater. During eight days on the Big Island, servers have twice taken my order and substituted something different. I sat at the bar at Uncle George's waiting for my dinner reservation at the Rim, and ordered a "BIG WAVE". For six days I had been drinking the locally brewed beer and got used to it. Unfortunately, the bartender at Uncle George's substituted a "BIG SWELL", another island brew which was a dramatically different beer. After a sip I gave it back to the bartender and reordered and instructed the bartender to pay more attention and ASK their customer if they can substitute something different. Other than this minor adjustment, it is a great place to have a drink.

• Visited October 2013

Naalehu
“Nice ambiance”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We visited on a Saturday night. The lounge serves the pupus (appetizers), salads and desserts from the full service restaurant also in the Volcano Lodge Hotel. We ordered three appetizers and wanted to sample a dessert as well but were too full. We were surprised at the generous size portions of the sliders (accompanied by sweet potato fries) and the avocado/mango dip with ulu (breadfruit), taro and purple sweet potato in house made chips. The pizza would have been better if there was a more generous amount of pineapple and shredded pork topping and a more tasteful tomato sauce. There was a guitar player and of course the orange glow of the volcano. The dip and chips were the best! Never had breadfruit chips before. The service was good. I'll definitely go back. I need to try the banana coconut pie!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Carol P
Orange Park, Florida
“Surprisingly, a very good experience”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is the restaurant within Volcano Lodge. The park literature says there are "to go sandwiches" and this is not the case; I believe they recently completed a renovation and I guess the park materials need to be updated. This restaurant has a beautiful location with outstanding views of the crater, very few tables, and pretty swanky food with a steep price tag. We were nervous (especially as I read the reviews listed under the hotel) but hungry, so we stuck it out and were pleasantly surprised at how delicious the offerings turned out. We tried the sliders (little mini cheeseburgers) and the asian prawns with sticky rice. both were delicious. The staff was kind and attentive, especially the hostess. I noticed she really went out of her way to stay on top of things.

• Visited June 2013