“Difficult to Review”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Volcano House

Volcano House
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Difficult to Review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

We had two breakfasts and two dinners at the Volcano House restaurant and two lunches in the bar with varying results. We received excellent service at both breakfasts, but the food quality was very inconsistent. The omelets the first day were quite good, but not great the second day. Service and food at our first lunch at the bar were superb. The server was extremely friendly and helpful. The food at our second lunch was again superb, but the server seemed overwhelmed. I went to the bar several times to get refills of my wife's diet coke and the server was unaware that we had not gotten our food. Dinner at the restaurant was the most consistent meal. Again, superb service and really good food. Plus, the view of the volcano is spectacular. Based on our experiences we would more inclined to return to the restaurant for dinner than breakfast. We would go back to the bar for lunch but only if we were not in a hurry.

• Visited August 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tenafly, NJ
“A big disappointment.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We went for dinner. The idea was to have a nice meal and see the volcano during their periodic dimming of the lights. Neither occurred. The food was mediocre at best. My wife had lamb, and I must say that it is hard to ruin that but they came close. I had a fish which was covered in some sort of terrible sauce.

They said they would dim the lights but they never did. So, we ended up,with no good reason to be eating this lousy food.

And it was expensive too.

My advice is to get a drink at the bar there and walk outside to see the volcano by night. Then go eat dinner elsewhere.

• Visited July 2014
Honolulu
“The view is great but the food not so much”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

We ate at Volcano House recently with four adults and two children. The waitress was very nice, but the food was over priced and very very slow to be delivered. I ordered a medium rare lamb and got two double chops. One was rare, the other was well done. My daughter had the same experience. My potatoes were cold, and the beans were so crunchy I couldn't cut them. My husband ordered a steak and it was so tough, he couldn't cut it. The crab topping was cold. When he informed the waitress she offered to bring another steal. He ordered it medium rare, as he did for the first one. We had all finished our meal by the time his steak arrived. It was raw (actually cold) in the center and again, too tough to cut. The desserts were very nice and the waitress was kind enough to cut the shared children's dessert into two separate portions prior to delivery to the table. It took two hours for dinner, which is a long time when you are dining with a seven year old.

Visited July 2014
chicago
“Very mediocre food/ good view/flies everywhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

We came for lunch june 2014 and were seated promptly. We thought the view was great and were seated close by the window. We ordered the caeser salad and kalua pork pizza. Both were so mediocre....I can do better at home!! My diet coke was flat and watered down. The salad had dressing globbed on that had no taste......the pizza was a joke. It looked like a crummy frozen crust with some tasteless pizza sauce, oily pork and a few pieces of pineapple on it here and there. There really isn't any excuse for such lousy food in such a special place!! It's not hard to use fresh ingredients to make good, simple food that people will come back for!! If there is a "chef" here, he/she should be embarrassed. I also feel like the value stinks because the food quality was so low!!

• Visited June 2014
“Get a drink & appetizer to go and sit in the middle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Volcano House has a very nice seating area with floor to ceiling windows between the two restaurants and bar - we ordered a drink and a couple appetizers to go (taro-type chips w/ guacamole and chicken sate) and enjoyed them in the late afternoon while we watched the steam from the crater. I can't speak for the restaurant but what we ordered was good, the bartender was friendly and accommodating and seemed like the best way to enjoy the ambience.

• Visited July 2014