Whole place is much better. Brighter, lots of windows, nice floor coverings, etc.
Restaurants and food MUCH improved. (They actually were selling sandwiches in plastic containers the last time we were there.) Really nice atmosphere, but wait help just a bit rookie.
Rooms nicely redecorated and bathrooms with new fixtures, tile, etc. Here comes the BUT. Really, really noisy. Noisy! No TVs because if there was one turned on within 35 feet you'd hear it. The place is old. Built with wood. Not much they can do about that. Just pray you don't have neighbors. Next door or below or above.
Another BUT is stairs. The least number of stairs one has to carry ones bag is four. If you're on the top of the second wing it's 10. If you're on the second floor of the section nearest the lobby it's about 20. No elevators. There is a chair lift up the 4 stairs, so I guess that's what gets them past the ADA code?
Be prepared to be cool (in the 50's) Rain comes and goes all day long. There were two umbrellas in our room, and two terrycloth robes, so they are thinking ahead for the unsuspecting traveler.
Last BUT is price. Okay, the view of the crater is great. You can eat and watch the glow at night. BUT, $315 a night? Really, really, must want to get those pictures, or you could stay in Volcano for less than $100/night.
It's a unique place to visit and stay. But next time we'll stay at one of the places the nearby town of Volcan.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Volcano House is the only hotel located within Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and is perched on the rim of Kilauea's Halemaumau crater. The historic Volcano House Hotel has long captured the imagination of visitors from all over the world with its iconic location, rich cultural legacy, and warm Hawaiian hospitality. Drawing upon a storied history dating back to 1846, Volcano House Hotel is now re-imagined for a new era with updated rooms, a restaurant and lounge serving Pacific Rim fare, and retail shops. Come experience the best Hawaii Island has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and Ctrip TA so you can book your Volcano House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Volcano House Hotel Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Volcano Hotel
- Volcano House Hawaii/Hawaii Volcanoes National Park