“Remember you are paying for location.....”
Review of Volcano House

Volcano House
GreenLeadersBronze level
Medina, Minnesota
“Remember you are paying for location.....”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Before I get into the detailed description, note to all considering booking here that "crater view" may be loosely defined. Technically, the hotel sits on the edge of the main crater, so any room that faces that way would have a "crater view". However, most people are probably hoping for that view that includes the Halemaumumu vent so that they can see it glowing at night or seem the steam rising during the day. Not all of the rooms have a very good view of the vent itself.

We were able to get reservations to stay during the first week they reopened. It appeared that 8 rooms were open (4 on bottom floor, 4 on top floor of 1960's annex building). We were a group of 5 with 3 small children. Some of the rooms have a king bed with a double pull-out sofa. Because of their "regulations" we were not allowed to specifically book that room, nor have 2 adults and 3 small children in that room and were required to book 2 rooms. We were given 2 adjacent top floor rooms with crater views. Ironically, we did receive room with a King bed and a double pull out sofa that would have slept my family just fine despite their "regulations".

One of our rooms faced toward the crater, but due to tree/vegetation growth there was not actually a view of the Halemaumamu vent unless you stood in one corner of the window and angled yourself (bent down) to see under the trees. The other room had the spectacular glowing vent view that you want when booking this property.

The rooms appeared to be cosmetically renovated only. One of our rooms had a non-working toilet. When I complained about this, they said that they could move us. However, the room that had the non-working toilet was our one room that had a spectacular view of the vent and was immediately next door to the other room -- so we chose the inconvenience of staying since we could use the toilet in the other room and we were only there one night. Staff also mentioned that another room that had a non-working shower drain. Since we had two rooms, we still had inconvenient access to a toilet. However, due to the lack of soundproofing in the building, I'm sure that we disturbed those on the floors beneath us when we would have to go back and forth between rooms (the room with the actual crater view was the one with the non-working toilet). Hotel management graciously credited us with half of the cost of the one room for the night.

Note that the bathrooms have openable window "slats" that open into the hallway that seem less than secure and remove any sense of privacy when using the restroom and shower. I didn't try to open them from the hallway side, but it seems as though it would be possible to pry them at least partially open, affording a view of the shower area. You could definitely hear any noise generated in the bathroom when standing in the hallway outside of it.

You are paying for the view/location when staying here, and depending on the room it is worth the price. I would have been disappointed if we only had one room and didn't have an actual view of the vent which is the reason I chose to stay here. When the other non-crater view rooms open up, I don't think that I would choose to stay in one of those as the town of Volcano is extremly close by and it seems that better and less expensive accomodations could be had there.

Room Tip: In the annex building, when looking from the parking lot, the room on the second floor that is the s...
1 Thank cnash99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I have a thing for staying in National Parks in the USA and this one didn't dissapoint!
It has everything we love about other in NP accomodations: location, location, location!
Unfortunately the hotel was not completely open due to renovations but the service and what we were offered was awesome.
We will definately be revisitng and look forward to seeing it open in all its refurbished glory!

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room
1 Thank Alison_cooper
Vancouver
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were really happy to find the Volcano House open for reservations for March, and we visited at the end of the opening first week, under the Pardon Our Dust rates. While making reservations, when I asked for an upper floor, the reservations agent refused my request and insisted that there is only one floor. When I arrived, I found out that she didn't know what she was talking about--there were clearly two floors. I was assigned two rooms on the lower floor. Sigh. Due to "regulations", the agent also said that there is a maximum of three people per room. For my group of six, I booked two rooms, but found that I'd been assigned a King and a room with a King and a pullout sofa, a very small double (for skinny people)! Again, it seems like the right hand (central reservations) doesn't know what the left hand (hotel staff) is doing.

The room is basic and smelled very new, sort of a PVC scent and new carpet smell. But it seems that it received a cosmetic lift only. The tiles and sink are lovely, but the windows and doors appear to be from the 1960s, with the front door very heavy and wanting to slam shut by itself and glass slats to the hallway. This means that the soundproofing is lacking, particularly in the bathroom. I was also woken up at 4 am by the upstairs occupant (which is why I asked for an upper floor). However, it was cool to be able to open up our window/door to walk to the edge of the crater right from our room! The built in desk with mirror was quite dated and 1960s.

When I started a bath for my kids, a plug of blonde hair floated up from the drain and it seemed that the tub drained too slowly. It was pretty disgusting. You should be able to get away with a five minute shower before the water starts accumulating over your ankles. As a result, we wore Crocs in the bathtub. The second room with just a shower had the same problem with slow drainage. The water doesn't get very hot either, sort of a warm shower, which is not what you need when you're soaked to the skin returning from a rainy lava hike... It is quite cold in Volcano, relative to the rest of the island.

I complained about the drainage problem immediately, but it was not fixed by the second night.

The continental breakfast was a very nice touch, with some quality cut fruit (papaya, kiwi, blackberry...), but the pastries were pretty awful, dry, or stale. Nice fruit juices though, and I am just happy to have it provided for free. I ate yogurt with granola and fruit. The garbage cans in the room were so tiny that we could not put our plastic breakfast plates inside.

The view is, of course, to die for, and that is why you're staying here anyway! So convenient to be across from the Visitor Centre and in the park. The sofa bed was incredibly comfy and firm and felt like memory foam. The hotel provides an in room safe, robes (but we didn't need them--there was no pool!), and free local calls and long distance to North America. There are no TVs. Now, I never need a TV in my room when I'm travelling (don't have a TV at home either), but my travelling companions LIVE on TV, and we were sharing a car, so they were bored out of their skulls when they stayed in the room.

Hopefully the problems I mentioned can be fixed but not sure how soundproofing can be improved. It is a lovely and very unique location, and I'm sure guests will pay premium dollars to stay there.

3 Thank TheRollingCanuck
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I spent a night in one of the little cabins at the campground owned by volcano house. It was totally bare bones (no outlets, one light), but the bed was really comfortable and toasty. Having access to the Jagger Museum outlook in the dark was magical. The sound and glow of the crater was an experience I'll never forget. You can drive there in about 5 minutes from the campground. The washrooms were spotless and well-stocked. Some people kept wedging the door open (the washrooms/showers are for cabin guests only) probably for friends in the campground. It was a little annoying but I felt absolutely safe. The showers have plenty of hot water which feels especially great being it's quite chilly in the morning up there!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Agent17Sparkle
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Got a reservation for March 22nd. Still under construction but . . . a room with a view of an erupting volcano!

Management told mle rooms are limited until the June 1 Grand Opening. Hope it's true, but I'm getting in on the "pardon our dust rates"

Room Tip: Right now they only have 8 rooms with a volcano view.
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SPW2011
boston
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed at the Volcano House's cabins in the National Park. It's a 10 min walk from the Jaggar Museum and the at-night-glowing Kilauea caldera. The cabins have 2 white bunkbeds, white walls, a queen/double bed, nice white comforters and sheets and a light bulb in and out. No electricity or heat though. Cheaper wood (for the firepit) available down the road at the military base/military resort, which has a general store, cafe and bowling alley (!) you can use. Other food in Volcano Village (Thai/Lodge). It was fine for us as we are used to camping and the price and location are great. Bathrooms have free heated showers. Just be aware it ain't the 4 seasons - unless you mean the weather.

Room Tip: This is upscale camping (you live in a lovely little cabin), rather than hotelling.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hale Ohia Cottages
Hale Ohia Cottages
#3 of 20 in Volcano

Been to Volcano House? Share your experiences!