“Great loop hike”

Kilauea Hike and Glow from Kona
$219.00*
Triple Crater Hawaii Volcano Hiking Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: A moderate 4 mile hike into a an old volcanic crater.
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This 4 mile loop took us about 2.5 hours. Beginning part of the trail took us through the lush rain forest at the top of the crater. Then, we descended all the way to the bottom and walked on the floor of the frozen, but still steaming Kilauea Iki crater lava lake. We passed lots of cracks and steams coming from underneath. In one place you felt like you were in the sauna room... that's how steamy it was there. The air was chilly, but once you were crossing the steam, you felt a rush of hot air blowing across your face. Walking on lava in the crater was an experience that you don't come across every day. It was incredible to see how nature struggles to get through anything just to get closer to the sun. Keep in mind that this lava lake was formed after the 1959 eruption. At the end, we had to ascend again from the lava lake into the rain forest. After this trail we walked through the Thurston Lava Tube which was kind of cool but nothing too spectacular. It was a bare tube with no living plants inside.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Great hike. Not very difficult, though it it HOT. So bring plenty of water, and sunscreen. Great views above the crater and within. Lots of switch backs, but it's forested. Takes a couple of hours to hike. I would recommend starting in the early morning before it's too hot and there are too may visitors. When you finish it's a quick walk over to the lava tube, which is very cool inside.

1  Thank Dannygirl5
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect, but this was a fantastic hike and extremely obvious loop/trail. (I was traveling solo and am paranoid that I'll get turned around when out hiking). :-)

The Big Island Revealed guidebook recommended it as the hike to do if you only do one on the Big Island - very true. Going counter-clockwise was great. Unless you're cruising at a too-fast-to-take-in-the-sights-and-pictures pace, splurge for the $2 trail guide at the trail head. It has neat information in a format that's easy to read while you're walking (which maybe isn't the smartest multitasking on a hike), and you can use it later to remember what it was you were taking pictures of!

The trail will come out at the Thurston Lava Tube, which is worth the 15-20 minutes or so before heading back on the trail to your car.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I enjoyed the hiking down. You had good views of the crater for taking pictures as you are going down. Some areas were steep especially as you started to come towards the end which is the bottom of the crater. You had to be in good condition to do this. I didn't have time to walk across the whole crater which is about 2+ miles to the other side so I climbed back up the crater. I don't know if that was the wrong thing to do especially when I wasn't in physical condition for such a difficult climb. With several breaks, I made it up. If doing this, make sure you have plenty of water and bring something to snack on or eat. The trial is well mark so you can't get lost. My next time back is to give myself more time and to walk across the crater. It is amazing to see how tiny you are up against a huge crater.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

While in the Navy, I and 2 other sailor stayed at KMC for R&R in 1956. One day we decided to walk across the volcano, which as I recall was 8 miles across. I don't remember if we followed a trail or not. I do remember seeing the steam arising out of the fissures and the small plants/flowers growing out of the cracks. I wondered how come any vegation grow in this rock formation? Our faces were tanned and burned at the end of our walk. As I recall we looked down into the firepit which of course was dominant at that time. We started the walk at the Volcano house so maybe it was a trail. Of course I was a young man at that time (I'm 79 now) so it was a rigerous hike even then, but we made it. I took a lot of 35mm slides which I still have somewhere. I still have an ash tray with the Lava House logo on it. I would love to go back but will have to put that on my "bucket list". Aloha...Edward Tazelaar, Vancouver, WA.

3  Thank Ed T