Review Highlights
Rained out, but ...

It was pouring rain when we reached the summit, and when we got to the bike staging area, the... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
MaarTech
Toronto
Bike Maui - Bill made the trip!

You can book with other bike companies, but you won’t get Bill! He was extremely informative on the... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
TheKJ13
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Haleakala National Park
from $120.00
from $260.37
from $248.96
2,251 results
All reviews own pace self guided rain gear sunrise tour express tour disc brakes other companies our tour guide great ride summit deluxe deluxe tour downhill ride great company easy ride lavender farm kula lodge down hill
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend and I loved our sunrise experience at the volcano and the information shared by our guide. The biking was super fun and exciting! It did not feel dangerous at all.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We live on the US east coast so we booked this tour for our first full day in Maui before we had adjusted to the 5 hour time difference, this really helped with the very early wake up (we woke at 1am, as the tour meeting time was 3am and it took us about 45 mins to drive to the meeting point from our hotel in South Maui; the meet up time is so early because they need time for orientation and from the base of the volcano it's about 1.5-2 hours bus drive to the summit).

The meeting point has ample parking and a restroom to get changed; we changed into thermals and wore plenty of layers as it's very cold at the summit (hat, scarf, gloves are highly recommended). There were heavy duty jackets available at the meeting place which you could borrow if you needed an extra layer. There was an opportunity to change again (i.e. remove the layers) before the bike portion of the tour started, and we were able to leave our extra clothes on the bus and pick them up at the end, so I would recommend taking a spare tote bag to leave on the bus as well as a backpack for supplies while on the bikes. I would also recommend taking something to eat/drink if you don't have breakfast beforehand - I'm glad I packed granola bars as the tour didn't include snacks and we didn't end up eating breakfast until around 8am (so 7 hours after we first woke up).

The guides kept us entertained on the drive up to the summit. Pay attention to what they say if you are on the unguided tour as they point out landmarks along the route to help navigate on the way back down, as well as recommendations for places to grab some breakfast (they also give you a detailed map).

The bus got us to the summit just early enough to claim a prime viewing spot for the sunrise. The payoff was waiting in the cold for a good hour for the sunrise, but after seeing the crowd that accumulated behind us I'm really glad we did. It is very dark up there before the sunrise and there is a short uneven walk from the parking lot to the viewing platform, so good to have the flashlight on your phone handy to light the way.

The sunrise was spectacular! We got some great photos. After the main event there was a strict schedule for getting back on the bus so not much time for the visitor center unfortunately.

Having witnessed how steep the road was on the way up, and how far the drive was, I was a little nervous about getting on the bikes and thought it was going to take me all day to get back down again. I had nothing to worry about though - the ride was such a thrill (not scary at all), the views were incredible, there was very little traffic on the roads to bother us (may have just been lucky with this, not sure), we didn't get lost, and we were back at our car by 10:30! We stopped at a little restaurant called Sandalwoods for breakfast on the way down, which was nice.

The guides were very professional and safety was a top priority (one lady in our group started riding without her helmet and was quickly pulled over by the guide). The bikes themselves were top notch and had good quality disc brakes.

All in all, this was an absolutely fantastic tour, and made the trip to Haleakala so much more memorable than if we just drove ourselves (and saved the bother of having to get a permit). We really liked that we could go at our own pace on the bikes and stop whenever we wanted, which you can only really do on an unguided tour and this option wasn't offered by every other bike tour company I looked at. And since we effectively got a guided tour on the drive up in the bus, it really is the best of both worlds!

Date of experience: November 2018
1  Thank JKB274
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Kimo was our driver. He was careful on the drive up the mountain while talking about the sites. He kept our attention with colorful information and details, and a witty humor. The weather was good on the way up, but not good the last 5 miles on the way down. It rained and we stopped biking for safety. Good call. Julio lead the biking tour, he was also excellent. The 2 guys were a good team.
I would recommend the tour and hope for better weather.

1  Thank GaryS4358
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Wife and I did this today. We opted to go with an unguided ride down Haleakala so we could go at a pace we chose and stop at all the stops we chose. I’m sure guided tours are nice but: (a) we wanted to stop and go at our whim; (b) we wanted to go our own pace, not the pace the guides set; and, (c) the road down is not that treacherous. Given those parameters, it made sense to book with Bike Maui direct and choose the unguided option. We also had a rental so we didn’t need picked up at a hotel. We just drove to Haiku and signed in. They people there were entertaining and helpful. We drove in a bus up to the top of the crater, getting instruction and being told stories about Maui’s history along the way. We were one of the first groups at the top so it was easy to get a spot and wait. We read plenty of reviews and knew to wear several layers because it’s cold up top and gets warmer as you ride down and the day goes along. It was in the 20s (Fahrenheit) and we were at the crater for over an hour but never really cold. Next, they took us back down to 6500 feet elevation where all the bike tours launch from. We got our bikes and we’re on our way. Took our time, stopped at several places, got some fruit from a local stand, had coffee & donuts at the lavender farm, and more donuts (on a stick!) in a little town in the way back. I had already stripped down to shorts and a t-shirt by then. It started raining so I put the rain gear they gave us at the start back on and we finished the ride. We were back in our car and on our way back to the hotel (and still mostly dry) before noon. We could’ve taken longer but I’d say we took almost 4 hours and stopped a ton. The whole experience was great and I’m sure I’ll do it again if I ever come back to Maui.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This is one of the coolest things we did while in Maui! SO worth waking up early to see the sunrise from 10,000 feet. Most beautiful scene ever and the bike ride down was completely exhilarating...BUT it’s freezing up there so wear pants, layer up and take a blanket lol. Props to Haleakala Tours for equipping us with all gear necessary to endure the cold and stay safe on our way down the mountain! While you might be tempted, don’t refuse anything they give you as they very clearly know what they are doing :)