Review Highlights
Rained out, but ...

It was pouring rain when we reached the summit, and when we got to the bike staging area, the... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
MaarTech
Toronto
Bike Maui - Bill made the trip!

You can book with other bike companies, but you won’t get Bill! He was extremely informative on the... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
TheKJ13
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Haleakala National Park
from $120.00
from $260.37
from $248.96
2,251 results
All reviews own pace self guided rain gear sunrise tour express tour disc brakes other companies our tour guide great ride summit deluxe deluxe tour downhill ride great company easy ride lavender farm kula lodge down hill
Reviewed January 15, 2019

Everything about this experience was excellent! Our shuttle driver was on time picking us up, fitted for helmet and rain gear - flawless, great orientation at bike shop and on top of the volcano, excellent bikes, staff was more than accommodating! Next trip to Maui we will do it again for sure!!! We did the sunrise and bike down and it was even a perfect weather day!!! Thanks Bike Maui for being AWESOME!!!!!!!!! If we could give you 10 stars we would!

Reviewed January 15, 2019

So, Bike Maui cannot guarantee the weather, but I was fortunate to take the self-guided bike tour on a morning when the skies were beautifully lit with stars, only to shift to a spectacular sunrise. The gear provided (jacket and pants) were greatly appreciated, as we waited for about 90 minutes for the sunrise.

I appreciated the various stories shared along the ride to the top of the volcano. Interesting local information, as well as about the island and culture more generally. Pete was a great guide.

The bike ride down the volcano was also very beautiful -- the fresh, crisp air, the clear views of the valley, the connection to the ground as we wound through the switchbacks and roadways through the countryside.

Last but not least, I had the misfortune of a bad bike wreck about 1/2 mile from the finish. Despite being an experienced cyclist (on my own bike, absent current braking technology), and despite having made the entire trek down the hills, i made only one braking error and, as a result, flipped over the handlebar of the bike, landing first on my head and chin, and then back. I was helped by three locals who immediately stopped and then helped by one of the tour guides and the van that took us up the hill. The helmet issued and required probably saved me from very bad head injury. I walked away with a few abrasions, cuts, and a fairly bruised body. The company was great -- responsive, caring, helpful, and prepared to help me with my medical needs. There was not one bit of frustration or blaming or distancing themselves from my fall.

I'd take this tour and ride again. I'd remember that the brakes are especially sensitive (again, I made the entire drive without an issue -- just one error in degree of braking at the end.The helmets required are appropriate.

Advice: wear lots of layers and warm gloves. Peel layers off as needed. Long pants and long sleeves might be best if you worry about a wreck, or just don't want to worry about a wreck and the impact on your body. Road rash stinks. My knuckles look like I've gone a round or 100 in a boxing ring.

Reviewed January 14, 2019 via mobile

The tour guides were efficient and thorough as well as entertaining. They answered questions and provided information about the island and it’s history. Wonderful experience! Highly recommend !!!

Reviewed January 14, 2019

My husband and I enjoyed taking in the sunrise from the top of the volcano/crater and we got very lucky with the weather as it turned out to be a clear, dry, sunny day. The guides were pretty organized and explained everything in detail before our ride down the mountain. My only critique about the tour would be that it started too early, we had to be there at 3am for a 7am sunrise and we waited in the bus for about an hour once we got to the top of the mountain, I think the pick up time could be adjusted a bit.

Reviewed January 13, 2019

After recovering from the 2am wake up call, my family really enjoyed the excursion.
We planned ahead and brought clothing to help keep us warm in the pre-dawn hours atop the crater, so the cold weather wasn't an issue.
It is a very easy ride (you brake way more than you pedal), but you need to confident on a bike. The road is open to automobiles and you have to maneuver several tight turns.
Stay alert, don't get mesmerized by the views and you will have a great ride.

Date of experience: January 2019
Melinda M, Public Relations Manager at Bike Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience! We're glad the early wake-up call was worth it. Mahalo for riding with us!