“What a great ride!”

Haleakala Bike Company
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike down Haleakala, Maui's largest Volcano. Enjoy a tour of Haleakala National Park and a trip up to the summit at 10,000feet above sea level. Admire views of the Crater, and bicoastal views of Maui. Experience a 23 mile bike ride downhill at your own pace. No guided convoy to rush you down, no big group to hold you back. You are free to come down at your own comfortable rate.
Reviewed December 14, 2013

The early morning pick up at the resort was a killer, but Alika/Alex made it tolerable. He was very pleasant and knowledgeable and shared some great information. Picking up gear was easy and then another ride to the top of the mountain. Alika/Alex made the route very clear with lots of pointers - stressing the $20 turn! At the top, it was cold but we were prepared. It would have been nice to have had some coffee or hot chocolate - wish I had thought of that at the bottom. Once the sun was up ( a stunning event to watch) we warmed up in the van while riding to the staging area to get our bikes. The bike I was given and 'sized' to fit was still a bit too short for me, but I was able to adjust the seat myself on our first stop. The ride down was a blast - so easy to go down hill! We had expert, intermediate and non riders (rode as a child, not adult) and everyone did fine. Stopped at the Kula Lodge for an amazing breakfast and then back on the road. The trip down went really fast, would have liked to do some more downhill riding like that! The only concerns I have were that some of the bike lane wasn't really enough - so riding in the middle of the road was necessary (we were OK with that, but some cars might not have been). Also the bike fitting - I tried to tell the guy (not Alika/Alex) that it was too short, my knees were too bent, but he 'knew' more than me. I would have had some great knee pain if I'd kept the seat where he had it but I knew how to adjust it myself. A beginner might not have. If we come back to Maui, this trip is first on our list! We loved that it was unguided and we could go at our own speed!

1  Thank Jacquie C

Reviewed December 13, 2013

An amazing site that is unlike any other. Join the comedian like team to the top of the mountain at 3am in the morning to make the 1.5 hour winding road to the top. Bring warm clothes to wear under the rain gear they provide and a back pack to put your heavier clothes in further down the mountain on the bike ride. It gets super cold being so high above the clouds. You can see the Big Island and if lucky a double sunrise over the water and a second above the clouds. Have fun!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I did a bike ride on a guided tour back in 2007 with a different company. The guided tour was nice, but we had a slow person that really kept us from going downhill at the speeds I wanted. Haleakala Bike Company gives you the best of both worlds. You get a guided tour in the Van as you make the trip up to the top, you learn interesting information and history about the Volcano and Island, and then you bike ride down (mostly downhill, like 98%, although there are a few little hills that require just a little bit of energy). You can go at a snail's pace, or you can go crazy fast, it's up to you and your breaks. I went fast at times, since my spouse wanted to take it a little slower, and then waited a minute or two in order to catch up. We also went at similar paces towards the end, but thats the excitement, you are in control. You see absolutely stunning views as you come down the mountain, such an exciting and thrilling trip. I love Bike Riding, but love it even more since 98^ of it is all downhill. Thanks to my tour guide Kimo, who tried to make jokes on our way up, and shared with us some good history.

2  Thank Kyle R
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We had a great time on the trip. Tim was our guide and kept us interested and engaged as we made the drive up to the volcano. Loved it that we were on our own down the mountain.
Read what Mbc421 wrote on Dec 9. Her review is excellent. I would have to say ditto to what she wrote!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

In visiting Maui we just had to do the sunrise tour with the bike ride down the Haleakala volcano. Getting up at 2 AM to drive to the bike shop wasn't much fun but we did this the first morning of our Hawaiian vacation while our bodies were still on Eastern US time. We met Cory at the bike shop. He's a great guy (funny, knowledgeable, and passionate) that helped us wake up and got us outfitted for the ride. Cory piloted the shuttle bus ("Mr. Turbo") up the mountain pointing out landmarks we'd recognize on the way down so we wouldn't get lost. "Watch out for the cattle grates and aggressive motorists", Cory said. We reached the top of the volcano (nearly 10,000 feet altitude) around 5 AM and sheltered from the 35 degree wind awaiting the spectacular sunrise. Then back in the shuttle to the staging area at 6,500 feet (still above the clouds) for the long bike ride down hill. We were well equipped thanks to the Bike Company. There are some places to get food (check out Kula Lodge!) and photo ops along the way. Using maps provided by Cory and his tips on the way up the mountain, we made it back down to the bike shop in fine shape. This was a great adventure that we enjoyed talking about the rest of the day while relaxing on the beach.