“Deluxe Summit Trip”

Haleakala Bike Company
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike down Haleakala, Maui's largest Volcano. Enjoy a tour of Haleakala National Park and a trip up to the summit at 10,000feet above sea level. Admire views of the Crater, and bicoastal views of Maui. Experience a 23 mile bike ride downhill at your own pace. No guided convoy to rush you down, no big group to hold you back. You are free to come down at your own comfortable rate.
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had an incredible day! Tim was an exceptional guide - very knowledgeable and very funny! I would highly recommend doing this unguided tour; it is so nice to be able to go at your own pace and stop where you want.

There are newer reviews for Haleakala Bike Company

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Not wanting to wake up about the time I normally go to bed on vacation to see a sunrise, I opted for a later morning trip with Haleakala Bike Company. While I missed the sunrise, I did get to enjoy the volcano, along with amazing views and a ride down from the top. The guide was first-rate, and I am glad I took this trip. Before you go, here are a few points to ponder....

1. Both trips (the Express and the more expensive trip) leave from the same spot at 6,500 feet elevation. The difference is that the more expensive trip includes a longer van ride up into the National Park where you can see for miles and view the crater. This added section required about 1 and 1/2 to 2 extra hours, but was well worth it. (There is no actual biking in the crater.)
2. All the biking is on paved roads. There are no exotic trail rides, just a winding descent through the clouds back down toward the bike shop.
3. It is easy to stay out of the way of cars, but note that there will be several that pass you as you descend.
4. They will say that anyone can do this trip. I think that is basically right. However, if you have young children or if you have a larger group that wants to stay together, it might be tough. Descending through the clouds, visibility is low and numerous hairpin turns will cause you to have moments of separation from others in a group.
5. Once you set off on the bike, it is easy to go at your own pace. There are ample places to pull off to the side of the road to take pictures or take a break.
6. Meal options are limited on the way down, but there are a couple of restaurants. IF YOU GET HUNGRY EASILY, take some granola bars/snacks for the ride up. If you do the deluxe tour with the trip up to the crater, it will be about three hours or a bit more from the time you leave the shop until you are on your bike and down to the first restaurant option.

Everything about the bike trip (from the bikes to the tour guides) was enjoyable. They really do a great job taking care of you and have really good equipment as well. I do not bike often, and I found the experience to be a lot of fun.

1  Thank mbc421
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The 5 of us got up at 2am to be at the Bike shop by 3:30, Cory our driver pulls up and right out of the gate is hillarious and full of energy! This was the first time for 3 of us and i'm glad I did it and would do it again in a heart beat. It was awesome!!

1  Thank Moans2013
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This was our first activity on Maui and we had a great time! Kimo our guide was very knowledgeable and funny he made the trip up the mountain interesting. He also made sure to take pictures of the persons on the tour and made sure everyone was done sightseeing and taking pictures before moving on. We would recommend the Haleakala Bike Company to anyone interested.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Our party of six did the self-guided, Express Tour that starts below the top (at 6500 feet). The staff was friendly and helpful. Fred took us up the hill. He was a great guide. He was very thorough showing us our turn points we would follow as we came down by ourselves. During the drive he kept a running commentary on sights as we drove up the mountain. After dropping us off, he stayed there for awhile, giving us a head start down the mountain. When he caught up to us (about 1/4 of the way down), he checked to make sure everyone was doing okay. I thought that was a great gesture. He had told us if anyone was uncomfortable, he would simply load the bike back in the trailer and bring the rider down the hill.
Everyone (including our least experienced bike riders) had a great time. We departed the office at 9:30 am, started the ride about 10:30, and were done by 12:30. If anything, we went too fast during the first 30 minutes (when the views were best). We should have stopped more often to enjoy the sights.
I would highly recommend the Haleakala Bike Company!