“Sunrise at volcano, Bike down!”
Review of Bike Maui

Bike Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike down Haleakala, Maui's largest Volcano. Enjoy a tour of Haleakala National Park and a trip up to the summit at 10,000feet above sea level. Admire views of the Crater, and bicoastal views of Maui. Experience a 23 mile bike ride downhill at your own pace. No guided convoy to rush you down, no big group to hold you back. You are free to come down at your own comfortable rate.
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Great fun and fascinating. Strenuous on many levels however. Requires VERY early rendezvous in Haiku to get there for sunrise. Also VERY cold at summit. Don't think Hawaii, think January in Chicago and dress accordingly. If bike down, not for everyone. Biking, gliding downhill, but about 20 miles and some stress with traffic. Be in pretty good shape or take van back

1  Thank Jnjtiger
Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Bob told us it was likely the only bike ride we would more likely gain weight than lose it .. called it right! About the only time I moved the pedals was to make sure my legs didn't cramp in one position! Brakes got a good workout though. Bikes have no gears and none are needed! It was foggy, raining and cold when we got to the summit at 6 am on January 2. Bob, our driver, told us not to despair that it might clear up .. called it right again. Took refuge in the gift shop until the crack of dawn .. which was amazing. Apparently clouds make it more spectacular than if it is a clear sky. We did miss seeing stars but given Maui is so dark anyway, we saw lots from our condo other nights. So glad we didn't have to travel in a group; I felt sorry for the cyclists who had to follow the leader. Even with stops along the way in the cowboy town for coffee, we still were back in Haiku by mid-morning. Only complaint would be that the jackets are quite long and when you try to get off your bike, they get stuck on the seats. We were glad for the wind coverage though as it was cold to begin with. Our family of four, mom, dad and 2 teenagers all loved it and it was a highlight of our week ... even if we had to wake up at 2:30 am to start the day. Glad to still have the time change in our favour at that point!

1  Thank mountforest
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

This is not an easy ride. Although downhill it was raining and freezing and we were unprepared. Should have dressed warmer. We left at 9 am for the Summit Deluxe tour which takes you up to 10,000 feet to the lookout and then back down to 6500 feet to bike. We didn't start biking til 12:30. Guide was an arrogant jerk! Bikes were in decent condition. Plan all day to be gone. Beautiful views but won't ever do again. We were left at 6500 feet with a map to get back to the bike shop. It was confusing and although it was nice scenery- prepare to freeze and get a decent workout.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I would give the check in process a one star but the rest was amazing.

They give you nice gear (wind pants, jackets, some gloves, backpacks and helmets), good reliable bikes, great safety info and top notch island info.

I think generally if you have ridden a bike in the last year you will be fine, it goes a little fast but I am afraid of heights and was fine!!

Finally the sunrise is freezing and I come from Wisconsin so that is saying A LOT. Bring great gloves and a hat... Hand Warmers would be great. Bundle up! It's worth it! It was something I don't think I will ever be able to top in my lifetime.

1  Thank sorrmar
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is my second time with Haleakala Bike Company and again they were awesome. We did the Express tour this time and skipped the sunrise. The guys here are excellent and knowledgeable. Earl drove us up the mountain and knew his stuff. The ride is exhilirating...riding down a volcano on a bike is something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime. We will do it again (for the third time) on our next trip. Other companies do an organized ride where as Haleakala takes you up the mountain, they give you a map and then let you go at your own pace. It's fantastic, seriously!

2  Thank SPTravelFool