“WOW!”

Maui Downhill Bike Ride
$124.95*
Haleakala Zipline Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic hiking and horseback riding trail that features major waterfalls, beautiful pools and an eerie bamboo forest.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was a really fun hike! There were waterfalls all along the hike and an enormous waterfall as a prize at the end! The bamboo forest was really cool, too. I was a doubter after reading other reviews about the bamboo forest (I have seen bamboo before, it can't be that cool), but I was wrong. The sound of the bamboo knocking in the wind was amazing! We were able to take this hike early in the morning and had the waterfall to ourselves. I highly recommend getting there early.

1  Thank tulipchic
There are newer reviews for Pipiwai Trail

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My main purpose is to clarify for the first time visitors exactly how to find this trail and the waterfall, because I sure was confused reading various descriptions. First of all, the only way to get there is via Hana, which means you either join a tour or drive there. The road maybe about 50 miles but will take you at least 2 hours, if no stopping. We did stop at Twins Falls, hiked up and bought some banana bread. We resisted all temptation to stop at all the scenice stops along way. Once in Hana you realize there is absolutely nothing there except a very expensive resort hotel with no guest. We were saved by a sign by the road pointing to Thai food. Excellent lunch. Then it is another 45 minutes or so to the Haleakala national park. You say, wait, this is not the volcano? You would be right, because this the eastern entrance to the park, and the two sides don't connect! Once at the park you have the choice of the 2 mile hike up the Pipiwei trail thru the bamboo forest to Waikamu falls. Absolutely spectacular fun! Wear hiking sandals. You will have to cross a couple streams. Insect repellant also suggested. Be careful it also rains a lot. Or you can first go see the Oheo Gulch/Pools of Oheo/ Seven pools. This is where the fall cascades down to the Pacific Ocean via 7 pools built on lava rocks. Again, spectacular. The brave ones go down and swim at the pools. Some kids were collecting coconuts. When you see the waves pound the rocks at the very end you might, as we did, decide to enjoy this from a bit of distance. The bottom line is you need to start early on this journey. Don't do what we did, which is to begin the drive back at dusk. I grew a few chest hairs when we finally got back to civilization.

11  Thank MtEverest
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The trail to the Waimoku waterfall was only two miles (and then two miles back) and there was not much elevation gain. The trail got quite muddy at times so be prepared to get a little dirty. The waterfall at the end of the trail was spectacular. My husband couldn't get enough of it. I enjoyed the waterfall and thought it was beautiful, but for me, the highlight of the trail was the bamboo forest. A large chunk of the trail is through a bamboo forest. The bamboos looked like they were about 40 ft tall and they seemed endless. It was truly spectacular. I would highly recommend this trail to other travelers.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just 2 miles and 700-ft elevation of well-maintained trail at the Seven Sacred Pool. Beside gorgeous waterfalls, bamboo forest and a giant banyan tree, you will be rewarded with an impressive 200-ft waterfalls at the end of it.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The trail to the waterfall was only two miles (and then two miles back) and there was not much elevation gain. The trail got quite muddy at times so be prepared to get a little dirty. The waterfall at the end of the trail was spectacular. My husband couldn't get enough of it. I enjoyed the waterfall and thought it was beautiful, but for me, the highlight of the trail was the bamboo forest. A large chunk of the trail is through a bamboo forest. The bamboos looked like they were about 40 ft tall and they seemed endless. It was truly spectacular. I would highly recommend this trail to other travelers.

2  Thank Lenore R