“Hiking & Camping Kipahulu-Haleakala National Park”
Review of Pipiwai Trail

Haleakala Zipline Adventure
$147.00*
Maui Downhill Bike Ride
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic hiking and horseback riding trail that features major waterfalls, beautiful pools and an eerie bamboo forest.
Hana, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hiking & Camping Kipahulu-Haleakala National Park”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

One of the most glorious hikes in Kipahulu (Hana side of Maui) is the up through the valley on Pipiwai Trail, to spectacular Waimoku Falls. The bamboo forest is absolutely photogenic and you feel like all of your creative energy juices are flowing because everywhere you look there is more beauty to capture. There is sort of a Disney-esk feeling about the twisted forest that at times I longed for my canvas and paints. Camping was just the perfect venue which enabled us to sleep with nature and absorb the spectacular beauty, including the star-filled sky. We did need to get a permit and Hana Camp Gear set up our tent at the Haleakala park camp site - so when we got back all we had to do was watch the sunset. I only wish we had planned a couple of nights longer because there is so much to see.

2 Thank mvp51

• Czech first
Vegreville Alberta
156 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 183 helpful votes
“Fantastic hike, to a truly amazing waterfall.”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I decided to give this hiking trail a try and boy are we glad we did. Its about 4 mles long (round trip) with a variety of structure to walk over. There are places that have roots sticking out, slippery sections, boardwalks, some rocks to endure, so I suggest you wear running or hiking shoes. We were fortunate to find two bamboo walking sticks which helped us out on our walk. The scenery, smells, sounds of the bamboo clanking together are worth the walk itself, but the amazing part is the waterfall at the end. This 400 foot waterfall is a sight to see. It took us about 21/2 hours round trip and we weren't rushing. If you have the time and energy you wont be dissapointed.

2 Thank firechief-JL
Solon, Iowa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful, amazing trail”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My hsband and I on a whim stopped while on the Road to Hana. This trail was amazing, and beautiful. I would consider it a difficult climb, as the ground is wet, and slippery going over dirt, rocks, and plenty of tree routes. Take the Upper picnic trail if you can, it's the best part!

1 Thank Kelly M
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Amazing sights”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My friend and I camped at kipahulu camp site where this trail starts. The hike was well worth it. Not a strenuous hike, but we went after rain. So it was somewhat slippery. Which no one then told us that you have to cross water to get to the beautiful waterfall at the end. I would have tennis shoes on or hiking boots and then bring water shoes if you don't want to get your feet wet. The waterfall was well worth every bit of it though. Truly amazing....as well as the banyan tree and bamboo fields along the way.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Tiffany S
Seattle
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Beautiful Waimoka Falls but please be careful!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We always like to do the Pipiwai trail hike (4 miles RT) and to see Waimoka Falls when we are in Hana. The trail can start near the Ranger station but basically you will need to cross the road where you connect to the trail. Sometimes if you get lucky (like we did) you may find some bamboo walking sticks that someone has left behind near the start of the trail. It makes it so much easier when you are going through muddy spots and crossing two small streams near the end of the trail. This time, the rocks in the streams were too slippery for us to walk across on them. It was just easier to walk through the stream and have wet shoes than risk an injury. It is advisable to dress appropriately and wear walking shoes. On the trail, I saw a woman wearing a long white skirt and flip flops.

Part of the trail is through a bamboo forest that has a boarded path in the shade. If there is wind, then the bamboo chimes and plays music while you walk. Very cool.

We visit Hawaii every year and sometimes we witness some foolish things that tourists do so I wanted to mention it here. While we were having a little lunch and enjoying the majestic view, a guy decided to walk underneath the waterfall. This is not like taking a shower! It’s a 400 ft waterfall and it rained a lot this season so he got pummeled to the rocks by the force of the water. He was very lucky that he just had red hands from the fall. In 2011, there was an 8 year-old girl who tragically died from fallen rocks from swimming in this spot. We saw a few other tourists wading through the water to have their pictures taken. This is a beautiful place but it also can be dangerous with fallen rocks or flash floods so be careful!

Visited January 2013