“Amazing - except for the skeeters!”
Review of Pipiwai Trail

Maui Downhill Bike Ride
$124.95*
Haleakala Zipline Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic hiking and horseback riding trail that features major waterfalls, beautiful pools and an eerie bamboo forest.
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Did this trip first on my road to hana adventure. I was really glad we got there early (around 9:30 am) as the place was PACKED when we left (12:30/1:00). I put on bug spray but was still eaten alive, so maybe pack it so you can reapply it. The hike wasn't too strenuous overall, but it does start out pretty steep. I found the beginning the most challenging, being that it was steep and it was HOT! Once you get into the shadier/higher areas it cools down nicely. There had been a storm the night before and a large tree had broken in the bamboo portion of the hike and blocked the trail. We bush whacked around it, but as we were leaving there was a park ranger type guy with a chain saw, I assume going to clear it up for other hikers.

The stream crossings weren't too difficult either, but it is really just easier to take your shoes off or to walk through it. Trying to jump from rock to rock is just plain dangerous, and I saw a few people fall.

The falls at the end were incredible, and I am so glad it wasn't busy when we arrived, only when we leaving. I would definitely recommend this hike along the RTH. I wore some beat up, worn out pumas that were already leaking water, and ended up throwing them out after the hike lol. My boyfriends nicer looking shoes required a bit of TLC to get them back looking nice again.

2  Thank karaf9
There are newer reviews for Pipiwai Trail

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was the inland/waterfall hike of choice on my 3-island visit. It had rained steadily the night before so Ohe’o Gulch was closed. And this also meant this was a wet, W-E-T, muddy trail up and down. It rained again on the way up. That needs to be considered in terms of footwear. I can’t tolerate the cold at all, but it was never cold. It is a bit of a challenging hike in terms of being uphill for those like me with health problems. My major problem came in the stream crossing because of not having waterproof shoeing. With the stream flowing and the slippery rocks, I slipped a bit myself and got a bruise. Something to consider for those not in shape. The water is cold. Expect Trail Hogs who refuse to share the trail. Expect noisy, rude people who think nature is something that needs to be drowned out with incessant prattle. But the Falls are worth it. Spend time in the National Park at the end. Protect the “aina”- pack *everything* out and leave *nothing*

Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

What a beautiful movie-like waterfall it is. A great hike to me is a great prize at the end, and this is a very very good prize. Walking through the bamboo was also very pretty. Go early before the crowds set in, find a good spot to sit down and just enjoy the moment for a while.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

This attraction is about 40-45 minutes past Hana. This park was my personal favorite on the island of Maui. Wear sturdy shoes and clothes that can get wet/dirty. You will be walking on some slippery areas during the hike.

1  Thank Kathy P
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Part of a Hana Highway tour. This was the best part hands down. The trail is easy for all ages, and has some of the most amazing sights you will EVER see!
Most breathtaking sights:
Waterfall at the end of the trail (don't get too close! falling rocks came crashing down while we were up there!)
Bamboo trail that you walk through - 30-40 meter high bamboo on both sides of the trail too dense to see through, amazing.