“Haleakala sunset STUNNING and no 2am wake up call”
Review of Haleakala Crater

Haleakala Crater
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A dormant volcano measuring 10,000 feet above sea level, it is Maui's highest point.
Reviewed July 6, 2014

It was almost 40 years ago when I went to the top the crater for sunrise. I had recently moved to Maui and it was THE thing to do. Don't ask me why, with all of the visitors I've had over the years, no one can get me to go up for sunrise. However, once I discovered sunsets from the top of Haleakala (and another secret area I just can't tell you about because so few people know about it), I go up semi regularly with no less than 3 camera's attached to my body. With any of the 3 cameras ( one is my iPhone) at any moment, you can capture a completely different 'feel' that only moments before. On the odd chance that I bring a friend up with me, no one can understand WHY so many pictures. I'm not trying to capture 'the moment', I'm trying to capture ALL the moments and a photo in 5 minutes might be the BEST picture I've taken in months! Anyway, bring an extra battery (or charger) and storage disc and be ready. And do NOT forget, that often the best colors of the day are minutes AFTER the sun has 'set', or what we think is setting. It's the afterglow that is the WOW! Like many of life's experiences.

4  Thank MelissaMcCoy
Write a ReviewReviews (6,969)
All reviews
in 69 reviews
"long pants"
in 79 reviews

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I almost didn't go because I wanted to just relax on the beach. I was SO glad I went. Views are truly unique and worth the time / drive. We went at sunset (I wasn't interested in waking up so early) and it was still fabulous without many people around.

Don't be discouraged by clouds. We thought about turning around several times as we drove through very dense fog and some rain. Up at the top it was clear. Sometimes the clouds rolled in at top, but they move in and out... I wasn't bothered by that because we were actually above those clouds which was a neat experience.

We didn't bike it and I'm not disappointed. We actually did it on the way to the airport. Was a perfect activity for the last day!

Tip: We bought and loved the app - Gypsy Guide. It gave great commentary on the way up / down.

2  Thank JAKHouston
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The weather can sometimes be unpredictable, especially between 5,000 to 7,000 feet but the top of mountain is almost always clear and sunny as clouds generally can't get that high. The view from the top is spectacular! Even if you are clouded in and can't see the lower island or the other islands, you are on top of the world. The view of the crater and it's colors are fantastic.

1  Thank West K
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We drove up about 8,000 feet to hike the Halemau'u Trail. The first three miles are downhill with lots of rocks and hundreds (?) of switchbacks; but they also made for a great hike. Around the corner was another beautiful site. Once at the bottom we hiked another mile across the crater for another great experience. Nene birds, lava tubes and the flora and fauna of a crater. Obviously what goes down must come back up - and while really glad to see the car, it was truly a great hike. One recommendation - hiking boots and poles are really good to have. After the hike, we drove up to the summit for more gorgeous views. The clouds were very helpful by parting for us so our sites were terrific! The crater is a must do! The road is as full of switchbacks as the trail but well maintained - a little hairy at moments but worth it.

1  Thank Deb G