“Maui Crater Day Hike - November 2013”
Review of Haleakala Crater

and up
Haleakala Maui Sunrise Tour with Breakfast
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A dormant volcano measuring 10,000 feet above sea level, it is Maui's highest point.
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Although I haven't been jogging much lately, I'm in reasonable shape for hiking. This is a great hike and great way to spend a day on Maui as the views can be spectacular at times. Unless you have a National Parks pass, you'll pay $10 for a single day entry. You can search the web for hiking maps or pick up a good one (free) at the visitor center. I did the 12 mile hike as suggested parking at the Halemau'u Trailhead and hitching a ride to the top. In my light backpack, I carried a light jacket and some sports drink. The temperature was perfect for hiking and I never put my jacket on. Hiking this trail in this suggested direction, is mostly downhill or flat except for the last couple miles. When possible, I mildly jogged. But be warned, the trail has lots of small lava rocks 1 to 2 inches in diameter that have been "rounded" from hikers and what ever else has trekked up/down the trail. I turned my ankles several times just walking on them and dreaded the thought that it could happen deep into the trail where I only encountered a couple other hikers. Luckily that never happened. The steep hike portion back up the parking lot was nice and challenging...meaning that some of the step-ups are over 14-16 inches each. You're also on a shear cliff at times in this section...but again, the view is awesome. Just take your time and definitely don't trip/fall on this section of hike as it could be fatal. I was hoping to finish under 4 hours, but it ending up taking me just over 4 as I had a leg muscle start cramping a little bit...guess I didn't hydrate enough. I would think that if you wanted an even more challenging hike, you go the opposite direction...which means parking lower in altitude than your finish. But be warned, the last trail section going in the opposite direction is called the Keoneheehee trail which means "sliding sand". In other words, for every step forward, you're going to slide backwards a bit.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,790)
All reviews
in 69 reviews
"mid morning"
in 62 reviews

Reviewed December 15, 2013

My hubby and I chose to get up at 2:30am and head to Haleakala Crater to see the sunrise. We got there at 4ish and there were a few cars there already, The parking lot quickly got full fast by 5:30am. It you want to take pics, come early and stake your spot!

Dress warm! It was very very cold at 10,000 feet high. Some people brought blankets and chairs to sit on! Definitely worth the time and drive to see the sunrise! It was beautiful! My hubby took some amazing pictures of the moon ands stars, and the sunrise and clouds!

After the sunrise we took the short hike into the crater. Make sure you wear shoes you don't care about. You will definitely have sand in your shoes and socks!

1  Thank ForevaThy
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stunning views of the dormant volcano. It truly is spectacular. At 10,000 feet up in the air, it truly is amazing how large the crater is. Lots of exciting views. I highly recommend doing a bike ride down the crater after visiting the Visitor's Center.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

If you're on Maui, you really should take the time to go up to the top of Haleakala Crater. Note: this is barely over 10,000 feet (not the 9,000 another reviewer posted) - the air will be thin, and it will be colder than down below. Really nice views. Unfortunately, our little one did NOT like the trip at all, so we didn't spend much time at the top. Bring food. There is a water fountain at the first visitor center (~7,000 feet) and some overpriced snacks - not sure about the one almost at the top, as we only went to the very top, and ran out of time with unhappy child.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Watching the sun rise with my wife at the Haleakala Crater was the highlight of our visit to Maui. We stayed in the Paia/Haiku area and it took us just over an hour to drive up to the top of the crater. The drive at 4-5am is dark but the reflectors on the road make the curvy uphill drive easy.

It's freezing up there, so bring your full winter gear (down jacket, toque, scarf, gloves, and even a blanket to snuggle with your loved ones). We saw many people under-dressed for the occasion (I'm talking t-shirts, shorts, and sandals).

After the sunrise, we did the hike into the crater as well, which was a neat experience. One thing to keep in mind - going downhill into the crater isn't that difficult, but walking back uphill on the sandy path will take you twice as long. Bring water and you won't need that down jacket anymore.

Most people don't do the hike into the crater, so by the time you're done (after an hour or so) and ready to drive back down the mountain, there won't be many cars and people. This made the drive much nicer and you had the scenic lookouts all to yourself!

1  Thank kix24