“Haleakala Trip 131027”

$150.00*
Maui Haleakala Sunrise Bike Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A dormant volcano measuring 10,000 feet above sea level, it is Maui's highest point.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Can never find a good day to get up to the summit. Originally I would like to wait for a day with a clear sky, but it never happens. It got more and more foggy and hazy and I went up there on the worst day. I will give a 5 star if the summit is not covered with clouds most of the time I stayed in Maui.

The summit was incredible, but better than looking at pictures. The colors of the smaller crators varied from red to yellow to brown, very remarkable. Temperature was certainly quite cool, in the lower fifties. The visitor center at the summit was the most interesting with a model of the crator. The other visitor center at 7,000FT was a waste of time.

The road up there was fine with lots of turns. At the 3rd mile marker on 377 there was a fruit stand with very good maya lemon and other citris. In general the drive was much better than the Hana drive and much shorter.

Missed a family photo with the 10,000FT mark, and that's the only regret.

1  Thank kylebuy

Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hour or so drive up the dormant volcano is well worth it. The views from Haleakala are incredible. But, here are some helpful tips.

1. Bring a jacket, sweater or sweatshirt. It does get chilly.
2. Go in the morning. The clouds tend to come in later during the day obscuring your view. If you're staying in the Kihei or valley area, look to the top of the volcano first thing in the morning. If it's cloudy, don't go. Plan something else for the day.
3. Bring a snack. There's no food available on top, but there are restroom facilities.
4. Be patient. The drive up is filled with switchbacks and narrow roads. You'll spend most of your time driving less than 30 mph. Also, be careful for the many bike riders.

Many people drive up for the sunrise. Don't forget about sunsets, if it's clear on top.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We were given a free ticket for a tour bus since it was our honeymoon. We spent 100 dollars for the other ticket through Polynesian tours. Totally worth it! We learned so much about the entire island and the volcano! The view was amazing. Doesn't matter what time you're up there! Never seen anything like it. Probably the best part of the trip!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is the first volcanic crater I've visited and it was well worth it. My wife and son did not want to do the sunrise visit due to the time we would need to get up, so we opted for the day trip. The bus tour guide was brilliant - very funny and knowledgeable, he certainly made the journey enjoyable.
We were advised by the hotel concierge to wear warm clothes as it is cold at the summit. Being from Scotland, we thought that this may be the case for people from slightly warmer climes but decided to heed the advice anyway. However, once at the top we realised we should have gone with our gut instincts. The sun was shining and it was warm enough for shorts and t-shirts.
The views on the way up were nice but it was the view from the top that really caught me - first time on top of a crater and it was such a clear day we could see just the outline of Hawai'i, the Big Island.
There is a small shop at the entrance to the park and one at the summit. They were not the cheapest shops but not too expensive for a nice souvenir. One thing that we realised was that the shops had very little in the way of snacks and drinks so it is a good idea to buy these beforehand and take them with you.
Well worth a visit and I certainly think I would go again, if I had the opportunity.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

At over 10,000 ft above sea level, it's a view most people will never see again in their lives (unless they come back!). It is something that everyone should do, even if just to say you've done it.

Just a note that we stayed just north of Ka'anapali. We left at 3:15am and arrived by 5am. (Note that we didn't exactly follow the speed limit the whole way, but seemed to be moving at the same speed as everyone else.) Also, be prepared for windy curves in the pitch black.

I'm sure MANY other people have posted about this, but it is shockingly cold up here (even though common sense would tell you that it's cold). Most people probably don't think about bringing winter gear when they come to Maui, but if you are planning to visit Haleakala for sunrise, pack that gear! When my boyfriend and I went, it was about 45 degrees out, not factoring in the wind chill, which made it feel close to freezing (and I know what 32 degrees feels like!). You will be standing outside for easily 45 minutes (longer if you want to see everything!), and you WILL freeze if you are not dressed warmly.

I would suggest a winter coat, extra layers underneath, gloves, hat, and warm pants (again, with layers). And don't forget a fully charged camera! Once that sun starts to come up over the clouds, you will be shocked at its speed!

(P.S. You can pay with cash or card to enter the park. $10 fee.)