“Overcrowded, but amazing pools/waterfalls”
Review of Ohe'o Gulch

Maui Day Trip: Hana Adventure from Oahu
Nevada City, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Overcrowded, but amazing pools/waterfalls”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Truly beautiful natural terrain; allow yourself time to hike to some upper pools for a less crowded experience. Part of the Haleakala Nat'l Park, so keep your receipt from the summit to get in here free.

Visited June 2014

• Finnish first
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Impressive, Yet Uneventful”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We went to the Ohe'o Gulch on a day when the park rangers had deemed it too dangerous to be swum in. I'm no nature expert myself, but I was a lifeguard for about 4 years and the water flow did not seem dangerous to me. Suffice it to say if the park rangers think the pools are safe to swim in the day you are there, they are most certainly safe.

If you can't swim, the 1/2 mile loop that goes past the pools is a little boring. Especially if you've just been on the Pipiwai Trail. They do have some signs you can read about the formation of the pools and the wildlife that lives in and around them.

Parking fee for the park is $10. If you've already paid that to park in another area of the Haleakala National Park, you will not have to pay anything.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kristen R
California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Perspective”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Of all the things I have done in life, my experience wading through the water and staring up at the sky from the middle of the pools at the Ohe'o Gulch has to be the one that put into perspective for me how small we are in the grand scheme of things, and how spiritual moments can be.

My husband and I arrived and walked across the street and up toward the hike, it was a nice little hike but we really wanted to get back down and go to the "Seven sacred pools". We got back to the other side and walked over and down and absolutely fell in love with the area. The pools are a great place to lay out, talk to people, and to take a dip. At one point I walked up to one of the pools where the waterfall was coming down into, and I waded out to the middle. As I got out there I realized at that moment I was the only one out there. I layed on my back and looked up and the sides of the mountain had little caves carved into it, I looked at the sky and instantaneously had a sense of where I was, laying in a waterfall pool on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in the most isolated place on earth. I felt calm, I felt at peace, and then when I began wading back toward where my husband was standing I noticed people walking around the waterfall and my husband jumped in and swam to the waterfall. This was such a miraculous thing to experience and a must do for anyone in the area, appreciate where you are.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank RdTrip47
Peace River, Canada
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“It's a nice hike.”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

It's a good little workout, especially after a bunch of beach bumming. The road in is long and windy - took us about four hours from Lahaina - so it's an idea to make it an overnight trip. There are also plenty of cool little towns to stop into along the way. As with other reviewers, we found it closed due to risk of flooding, but the hike was still enjoyable. Might be an idea to call ahead to see if it's open if you're set on swimming.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank JBOtski
Toronto
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Must visit on Road to Hana. Some useful tips.”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Make sure to visit the sacred pools and hike the Pipiwai trail. The scenic 4 mile roundtrip trail takes you through fragrant guava plants, a bamboo forest, and two waterfalls.

Follow up your hike with a swim in the sacred pools. If you visit the pools late in the day (just before sunset), you will likely have the entire pools to yourselves as my wife and I did. Made for a very memorable and romantic experience. Bring water shoes or waterproof sandals as walking to the larger inner pools requires walking through some slippery rocks. The drive back is actually easier at night as there are hardly any cars and approaching cars are more visible due to headlights.

The $10 per vehicle fee is valid for 3 days and can be used if visiting Haleakala.
Highly recommend the GyPSy Maui apps for a simple to use GPS audio tour for the Road to Hana (and also Haleakala).

Visited June 2013