“Why must nature be controlled by others?”
Review of Ohe'o Gulch

Ohe'o Gulch
Book In Advance
More Info
$457.99*
and up
Maui Day Trip: Hana Adventure from Oahu
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We did the hike up to the falls first only to return to see that the seven sacred pools had been closed. I find it terribly upsetting that others must tell me where I can or cannot go. There was no rain and no real sign of it coming. Even though I wasn't able to go for a much needed swim - I could appreciate the magic of this place from the sidelines. A must see on your way to Hana. For those reviewers that gave it a bad review based on poor clarity conditions, shame on you. I am so sorry that nature isn't always compliant and servile to your every whim.

1  Thank vyakal

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Not real easy to get around on the rocks. Despite signs all over that jumping is not allowed, there were people jumping, flipping, etc. lots of families with little kids in pools. Water was not flowing much when we were there. Easy walk to see gulch from parking lot. Parking fills fast, fee. Bring snacks n water, no store or vending in park.

1  Thank whitefish
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Many people waist time on their way to Hana, visiting waterfalls that cannot be reached.
If you have only a day, it is better to leave the west coast as early as possible so you can reach the sacred pools. For us, this place represents what the Hana area is all about -- paradise. Don't forget to pack lunch.

1  Thank oren m
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Yes the water is a bit dark and it's basically the one large pool you will want to swim in, but it's really scenic and nice to take pictures of. The water was fine when I jumped in and it was a bit creepy not seeing the bottom, but I survived :)p

I would suggest water shoes when walking in and be careful of your step. Just enjoy the scenery and be aware of the weather when you go. If it's raining or there may be a flash flood, stay the hell out because it can be dangerous.

Otherwise, if you drove to Hana and didn't at least see the pools....well that was a waste of gas. :) enjoy!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The water was so dirty in every pool when we went as it gets that way by the time it makes it down to the pools. Also there are solid rocks in the bottom which you cannot see so walking in the lower pools hurts and is a bit dangerous. The higher pools that are higher and deeper are quite hard to get to. There are so many better places with fresh clean ocean water to swim around Maui why go in this dirty water? I say walk down to see the pools to see them, but don't bother getting in. Do the hike to the waterfall instead. I was not impressed at all. So many better places in Maui and especially this side of the island.