“Pretty and worth the drive”
Review of Ohe'o Gulch

Ohe'o Gulch
Book In Advance
More Info
$457.99*
and up
Maui Day Trip: Hana Adventure from Oahu
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Wish the pools where still open for swimming but worth the drive past Hana

Reviewed January 2, 2012

If you've driven the road from Hana you are going to be disappointed when you get here. The sacred pools are sort-of Ok but the rest of the trail is over-rated. If you really want to do this I would take the road that your rental car map says that you are not allowed to take and approach from the south-west. They are busy surfacing this road and the unpaved section is very short and very easy except after or during heavy rain when the ford will not be dry and the road will be muddy. Our Jeep barely noticed the road and we were followed easily by a Dodge Challenger which has very little ground clearance.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

The pools were flooded from the December rains when we stopped, so there was no swimming allowed. The water was really roaring and the surf was high. The views are pretty.

My daughter did the junior ranger program at the park station, and the exhibits there are nice and informative. Husband hiked to the waterfall through the bamboo forest, and came back happy and muddy.

If you have already visited Haleakala Crater int he past 3 days, or plan to visit, save the receipts so you won't have to pay admission again. There is lots of tour bus traffic here, it's the last stop for the mini-buses that run the road to Hana.

2  Thank karen1monger
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I giving this spot 5 stars because I know it's got it. Unfortunately we weren't having a 5 star day but I can't blame this attraction. First off the water levels were very high which made for some roaring waterfalls which was cool. But this made it dangerous to swim so that part was closed. It was the end of the day too so all were tired and a few had motion sickness on top of that. We had left early on the Hana drive but were still kind of rushed to see all we could, which was maybe half. We only did the lower falls hike here. Oh well, guess we'll just have to come back next year to see the rest.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Very beautiful. Although my favorite part about being in this areas was to hike in a bamboo forest to a very high waterfall. Haleakala National Park, south entrance, is well worth visiting. I recommend staying at least a night in Hana. In my opinion, eastern Maui is the prettiest place on the island.