“LeConte Lodge and Staff - AMAZING AS THE VIEW!”
Review of LeConte Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
LeConte Lodge
Bloomington, Indiana
“LeConte Lodge and Staff - AMAZING AS THE VIEW!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

What an amazing trip! I was extremely lucky to get reservations back to back with my friends so we were able to spend two nights on top of the mountain. We took Alum Cave trail. It took us almost five hours on the way up with a long lunch stop and only 3 hours down. Plan for cool weather. We went June 21st - the high was 64 and the low was 47. If you layer your clothing you will be fine.

The staff was amazing! We purchased the unending wine with dinner and our glasses were kept full. I have never had a better cup of hot chocolate. We visited with Ranger Mark Pitt - who gave presentations about the culture of the mountain and animals.

All in all - GREAT TRIP! A must do!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank JHTobin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
bluegrass state
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Hiked up alum cave with two girlfirends of mine. started on the trail around 8:20 am. Parking lot trail head gets full quickly so start early. Be sure to use the porta potties before you start as there are no restrooms along the way, except the woods. Wildlife is frolific snakes, bears. etc. We did not see a bear, just poop. Thank goodness. Took us 4 hours at a pretty good pace to hike up to the Lodge. The trail is very very rocky with rocks sticking up out of the ground @ a 90 deg angle. Several areas of the trail had only a 2 ft passing area up rocks and there are cables to help up maneuver around it. Still is was very unnerving and slick.
The lodge itself is what you would expect. Rustic but quaint. We had the last cabin closest to the myrtle point trail. A little distance from the Restrooms, after a very long day hiking. The lodge is stuck on the side of the mountain so the paths to each structure is paved with rocks. There are keys to the restrooms on a stick in your cabin. They do this so the flushing toilets are reserved for the lodge guests, not the day hikers. The office has merchandise ( get your i hiked it tshirt or hoodie), a heater, games, magazines and rocking chairs to sit around for a change of scenery. We did have to store our snacks in the office in steel garbage cans because of the bear activity near the lodge. We arrived around 12:30 and laid out in the grass in the warm sun till dinner time @ 6:00. They do ring a dinner bell. Dinner was tasty after a long hike. My favorite was the mashed potatoes. The soup was ok. They should get that from the Dixie Stampede, they do sell the soup mix. Breakfast was average. I am allergic to wheat so i could not eat the pancakes or biscuits. @ dinner i could not eat the cornbread or chocolate chip cookie. I let them know before hand, and they brought me roast beef without gravy. Another girl @ my table was allergic to eggs and dairy and they accomodated her request as well. The bunks beds in the cabin are full size. They were suprisingly warm. The heater in it was set on low by us and did not kick on all night. Top bunk was warmer. We did the reservation form online back in october, but you still need to call. It took me over 300 times to finally get through for reservations.

tip: mail a postcard $1 up at the lodge to your family. It was packed up and down by llamas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank phislamajama
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My brother and I actually stayed at the shelter, but we were invited by a guy staying at the lodge to listen to live music at a get together in the lodge's office. It was really nice of the people there to allow us to come participate. It was a room full of people, lit by two oil lamps, with a couple guys with guitars and everyone singing along. We also appreciated enjoying the warmth while we were there, as it was a pretty chilly night. It was a once in a lifetime unique experience to enjoy live music on the top of the mountain by the oil lamp light, and I will not forget it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike_Wx
North Carolina
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is worth the effort to get a reservation. My wife and I are 70 so I called a number of times to make sure I understood the situation and we wouldn't get ourselves in trouble. Everyone I talked to, before the hike and during out stay, was helpful and enthusiastic about LeConte. The people who work there like the place. It's not the Holiday Inn. It's everything you could want at the end of a pretty tough hike. As usually for us mature hikers it feels hard climbing up because it takes your breath, particularly at the higher elevations, but the hard is coming down, six miles down without a break, pounding on your joints. Most of the folks there were a little younger and seemed to find the harder trails up very enjoyable. No reservations about the experience at all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank jdaniels1
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I really enjoyed my visit here. It's obviously rustic, but clean and comfortable. Nathan, the assistant manager, was very cordial. The food was great, especially considering the logistics involved. I liked the "bottomless cup" for hot chocolate, coffee and lemonade.

The Alum Cave trail was strenuous but nothing that a person in reasonable shape should fear; just take your time and enjoy the scenery.

I tried to pack light but still found that I took more than needed. For example, you can leave your soap and alarm clock home; they furnish soap and give a wakeup shout to each cabin before breakfast. However, I was glad that I had brought a rain jacket & warm layer, small flashlight, Motrin, Moleskin, water bottle and trekking poles. Although I did not need them, traction devices like "Yaktrax" are advisable if it's icy. Their website has a weather link that helps decide if they are needed.

The reservation process is difficult because they have many more requests than space available. The previous policy that allowed regular customers to reserve the same date each year is being phased out. Over time, that should open up reservations for newcomers.

Room Tip: If you value privacy, I would recommend a single cabin. In the multi-bedroom cabins, sounds carry e...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Going_from_Jackson
NC
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had planned to hike up on the first full opening weekend which coincided with spring break and Easter. That should be pleasant, we thought. As the date grew closer, we studied the weather and the blog, distressed to learn just a few days before our hike, the mountain continued to receive new snowfall and some were hiking up in a virtual blizzard. The sequester had the road to Trillium closed and snow drifts and downed trees had people avoiding both Boulevard and Bullhead. We did not want to take Alum in icy weather because of the icicles and frozen cables with a child afraid of heights, so Rainbow Falls seemed the only option.
We set out Sat morning March 30 and hiked up that cold mountain where we ended up hiking into camp 9 hours later in deep snow, exhausted but triumphant. We should have made much better time, but we had two small children who were exhausted and fell down frequently and stopped for breaks- hoping there might be some other way up this mountain. Thank heaven for the Snow trackers/Yak Tracks. We arrived at supper to a steaming hot and delicious meal served in the rustic lodge lit by kerosene lamps. The other hikers and staff were all friendly and positive, and we could not wait to fall into bed that night.
We stayed in one of the small cabins, which are bare, basic accommodations with a window, heater, table, mirror, tin pail for washing, and a chair. The beds were fairly comfortable and the blankets were soft and warm. We had a porch with a bench and rockers and we were close to the toilets. We had to use the pit toilets since the flush ones were frozen up. The staff kept them as clean as possible and always stocked with toilet paper and sanitizer.
The most important thing for this trip is to be prepared. We were most likely overpacked with first aid kits and extra clothing, but we dressed for the weather in layers and that turned out to be very important. I appreciated my walking poles and toe warmers and multiple layers of dry socks. I also liked having a battery pack to charge my phone. My peanut butter and jelly Bonker bar tasted so good on the way up.
Easter Sunday we were socked in by ice fog and misting cold rain, but we had an egg hunt in the snow and played games and read by the fire in the lodge. We enjoyed all the meals, especially those delectable biscuits and apple butter and that wonderful hot chocolate. The staff were all helpful and kind. Be aware that the weather changes quickly and in unexpected ways. I tramped to the toilets in the night on Sunday in deep puddles and rain only to wake to crisp, clear skies and a frozen solid wonderland the next morning. The only criticism we could make is that shoveling some of the snow on the main steps and walkways would have gone a long way to alleviating some of the slips and falls the next morning on that ice, but I think the staff had their hands full that first weekend with all of the problems with freezing water, toilets, and cooking.
I cannot wait to come in the summer so that we can enjoy some more of the sights and views at the top since we did not get to see a sunset with the poor weather and the snow and rain kept us inside a lot on Easter Day. The bottomless glass of wine was wonderful! Choose the Pinot :) I will never forget this wonderful trip. Do it!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kimmstree
Minnesota
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Leconte Lodge! A couple of days before our reservation they received 18 inches of snow, so the hike was an adventure. We hiked up the Rainbow Falls trail as this was the only one accessible at the time. We made the hike with our three kids and all went well. Just be sure to check the weather, have enough time, and have the right gear! The blog on their website gave daily updates which were very helpful. When we arrived at the lodge, the staff was very welcoming and had everything ready for us! They even had hot chocolate ready and waiting. A nice touch on a cold day. We stayed in a lodge room, but there are also individual cabins. The dinner and breakfast were very good and hearty, and the staff was really friendly. Be sure to take the short hike after dinner to watch the sunset if it is a clear night. The lodge store even had Yak Tracks available for purchase for the hike down. These made a huge difference on the icy areas. This is a rustic, historic lodge. It's all about the experience, the adventure, and the setting. Thanks for a great experience!

Room Tip: I would try to get in an individual cabin if available. Be sure to book early. We have tried sever...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank backcountrytraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Courtyard Gatlinburg
Glenstone Lodge
#44 of 78 in Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg Town Square Resort By Exploria Resorts
Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg

Been to LeConte Lodge? Share your experiences!