“A must hike”
Review of Mount LeConte

Mount LeConte
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the most popular hiking mountains in the park.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I liked everything about this hike. What an adverture. Not an easy hike, so don't try it if you aren't in good shape. Bring food and drink, you will need it. Really liked the cables along the trials to help you. Gives you the extra security.

All reviews
"avid hiker"
"an early start"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and hiked to the top for an anniversay getaway. Took the Trillium Gap Trail. Needless to say it was very challenging. We stayed the night at the cabins. The dinner the first night was outstanding. Others at the table said it was the same thing every year, roast, corn bread, green beans and of course all you can drink wine. The next morning we hiked to Myrtle Point for sunrise. One of the most incredible sights I have ever witnessed. Breakfast was phenomonal. Eggs, Canadian Bacon, Pancakes, Biscuits, Grits and Tang...yes Tang. There was coffee as well. In the end, words nor pictures can fully justify the beauty and peace one experiences when hiking to the top.

1  Thank BossHog0113
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hiked to the top of Mt. LeConte via the Alum Cave Trail. For us, reasonably fit 55+ers, it took 5 hours to reach the LeConte lodge. Youngsters were scampering by us. But it was worth the effort. the views were breathtaking, especially the sunset. The basic acommodations included heated cabins with bunk beds (some double size bunks), but the top bunk got most of the heat. Not much else in the room, but it was a fabulous alternative to schlepping all your overnight gear into the woods.
Food was hearty and basic. But once you've gotten to the top, anything that nourishes the body is good. Served at communal tables - another nice touch if you like community.
You need to reserve a year in advance for the lodging, but we kept calling and got a cancellation within 2 weeks of availability. You need to be flexible and persistent if you don't plan a year ahead. Though you can hike the trail part way up and down in one day, what made this special was the lodge at the top.

1  Thank joy w
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Although the most popular hike to the top is the Alum Cave trail this is by no means the only way to the top. If you have two cars for example, one great option is to start on the AT connect into the Boulevard Trail which crosses along a narrow ridge line to LeConte. You can then go down the Alum Cave Trail, instead of up. The hike is long, nearly twelve miles and also has a lot of elevation gain (2,700 feet) but it is by no means impossible. I would recommend this partial loop for its variety over just going on the Alum Cave Trail.

There is also the possibility of going up from the Rainbow Falls trail but I have not made that hike yet.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We just made the hike up to Mt. LeConte and stayed at the lodge via the Alum Cave Trail. We had 5 adults and 7 children (ages 13, 12,11, 10, 10, 8 and 6). The hike was absolutely gorgeous with many great views along the way. This was a strenuous hike but everyone did very well. Most of our group had never done much in the way of hiking though everyone was in decent shape. Our group arrived at the top in 3 waves. The first to arrive made it in just under 4 hours, second group about 15 minutes later and then the 3rd group made it in 4 1/2hours. I was part of the last group due to my 8 year old daughter who liked frequent breaks due to the incline. We took a lot of breaks, walked very leisurely, took a lot of pictures and enjoyed the hike. We still made very good time in my opinion. Once at the top everyone kicked back and enjoyed the lodge. The kids were thrilled with the endless hot cocoa available and the game room in the office. We all sat outside and relaxed until sunset which was beautiful at Cliff Tops. Only 2 of us got up in the morning for sunrise and it was so well worth it. If you stay you should really get up to see how beautiful it is (if you are lucky enough to have a good morning for it). I was a little nervous about making the hike in the dark to the lookout with just my sister and me but it really was not bad at all and it was the absolute highlight of the time spent there. There were only 6 others out there for the sunrise. So peaceful and soooo beautiful! We hiked down the same trail and made it down in 3 1/2 hours. Going down is certainly not difficult cardiovascularly but it is much harder on the knees as it is all down hill and rocky. All of the adults could feel it in their calves from the walk down. My 6 year old tripped several times going down while he did not at all going up. If questioning whether this is a trail that you would want to take with your children I would say that I would do it again with mine. It is very doable. There was a 3 year old staying at the lodge who had hiked up the entire way. Though I say it is doable, that is assuming that your children understand the importance of not running way up ahead. They must be disciplined enough to follow your rules as there are a lot of areas that could be potentially dangerous if you have a child who is not in tune with their surroundings.

5  Thank ENCgirl