“Chilly Hike Up The Alum Cave Trail”
Review of Alum Cave Trail

Alum Cave Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the most popular hikes in the park, it is the quick route to Mt. LeConte Lodge.
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I decided to hike up to the Alum Cave on December 26, 2012. Temp. that morning was around 29 degrees at the beginning of the hike. The trail and trees were covered with a light blanket of snow. The trees looked like they had been dipped in powdered sugar, The trail up to the cave is very negotiable and scenic. Due to the cold, there was a lot of ice on the rocks making walking a challenge but very do-able. Look out for the 4 foot ice cycles hanging off the bluff, that were periodically falling off due to higher temps in the afternoon. We are looking forward to making the trip up to the summit in the near future.

2  Thank Gary M

Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and son and I hiked the alum cave trail. The weather was pretty cooperative esp for January. The trail is actually one of the neater trails I have been on with lots of different things to see and experience. It has gentle sloping areas to stairs and rocks and the beautiful "cave bluff" area. Would highly recommend. We didn't follow it all the way up to mt Leconte but , plan on doing it soon as it is 2.7 miles on to Leconte The trail can be somewhat challenging in certain areas but, definitely doable and worth the time and effort.

3  Thank merry03
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I've done this trail twice - once when I was a teenager and then again last year when I was 27 and both time were fantastic. It's fairly quiet on the trail, but there are enough hikers to not get worried if you experience an emergency (I always worry about that). The trail has beautiful vistas and quiet wooded areas with a river running through it. I will warn you, it can be quite strenuous at times, but the payoff when you reach the bluff is more than rewarding. I can't recommend this trail enough!

2  Thank Wanderer3247
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We decided to go hiking on the 31st of December 2012. We went to the travel center and asked about good trails to hike. We found this trail and there were tons of cars in the parking lot. It took us about three hours to hike the trail. There was snow, ice and slush on the trail but pretty manageable. It was easy to tell where the trail was leading you. It was difficult at times because of how slippery it was. But the views were amazing the entire time. It was quicker on the way back, but we did have a few slip and falls.

Overall it was worth the distance and danger :)

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Beautiful trail with lots of good photo opps. Starts out along a stream until you reach a stone arch, then it becomes a steeper climb with the occasional view. We only hiked to the bluff, which was about 4.6 miles. It took us about 3.5 hours.

We went in the winter and there was packed slush on the trail. Make sure to wear good shoes and walking sticks would be helpful.