“Worth every root, creek, and minute!”
Review of Grotto Falls Trail

Grotto Falls Trail
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Took this hike with my family of five(3 daughters youngest is 6). The path is not paved so the gals pushing a stroller that we passed were not having a good time. This is a moderate hike but not difficult or too long for the kids. Wear good shoes, pack a bit of water and snack and enjoy one of the best spots in the park.

2  Thank dcgoldeneagle
in 12 reviews
"parking area"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed June 7, 2012

I'm a local, and I hike Grotto Falls at least a couple times a year. I recommend it to everybody visiting the park because (1) it's got great views the whole trail, (2) it's long enough and challenging enough that you feel like you've accomplished something but easy enough for almost anyone at any skill level, and (3) at the end of the trail you find the only major waterfall in the park that you can walk behind. The waterfall itself is not very big, but it's a perfect size for photos, and the area around it is relatively safe compared to many of the falls in the park.

1  Thank Jacob S
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We did this hike with our family, ranging from 5 to 63 years old. We had read somewhere that this hike was "easy," and I think it was "moderate" for little kids. The incline on the way to the falls was noticeable throughout and there were a lot of exposed roots, so you spent a fair amount of time looking down for your footing. That said, the falls themselves offered some fun free-form exploration that didn't give the adults heart-attacks to watch.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

We didn't know what we were getting ourselves into when we set out to see the Grotto Falls. We're not hikers, and found ourselves up to our ankles in mud (it had rained the day before), 4 or 5 streams which we had to go through via rocks in the water, huge tree routes to navigate around, all the while going up hill on sometimes narrow paths.We came across a guy leading a pack of a dozen llamas (the only wildlife we saw in the park!) It's about 1-1/2 miles upward. Thought we'd never get there! However, the falls were a sight to behold!!! They were particularly full because of the previous day's rain. You could actually walk behind them. My husband was crawling over all kinds of boulders just to take pictures (that sure made me nervous!) Even though this hiking trip was totally out of my comfort zone, I loved every minute of the experience and will never forget it. Depending on when you go, you're likely to see more wildflowers than we did in May.

2  Thank gma6times