“Must See”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lehman Caves

Lehman Caves
More attraction details
Owner description: Caves which feature beautiful stalagmite and stalactite formations.
Los Angeles, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Must See”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Great Basin NP and Lehman Caves was what I was looking forward to the most. Sometimes when I do this, a place falls short of my expectations. Lehman Caves exceeded mine.

The cost of the 90 min Grand Palace Tour was only $10 per adult. There is a discount for seniors and Golden Pass members. Anyhow, it's well worth the cost of a couple cups of "fancy" coffee. They also limit the number of people in the group.

Our guide, Debbie, was fantastic. She made the tour interesting, funny and educational. Photos are allowed, which is great, but they honestly do not do justice to the beauty of nature's artwork.

We didn't see any bats :( I hope they are ok.

They recommend you bring a jacket, as it's colder in the caves. I believe they said temperatures are around 50 degrees F. I was worried my light coat wouldn't be enough, but with a t-shirt underneath, I was fine. Many people had shorts on and light coats, and seemed fine. If you do tend to be a colder person, bring something heavier just in case. Flashlights are allowed, but if you forget yours, don't worry, there's enough lighting in the caves and the guide brings a couple.

I highly recommend this tour. You've got to be a pretty grumpy person to not be impressed by the wonders nature and time can create.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank dianadepp

Salt Lake City, Utah
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Don't miss the cave”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

If you're visiting Great Basin National Park don't miss out on the cave tour. This 90 minute walking tour was amazing. The natural beauty of this cave has been preserved over the past 100 years and is well worth the 10 dollar admission fee. It gets a little chilly inside the cave so dress accordingly.

Visited August 2014
Orange, California, United States
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Walk around the caves”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

We took the Grand Tour, which was 90 minutes long, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The tour starts in a somewhat narrow hallway but most of it is in underground cave 'rooms' that open up, some of which are quite large, so even people who feel somewhat claustrophobic wouldn't feel too closed-in. The caves are lighted, although during our tour we did have a minute or two with total darkness to get a feel for what the earliest explorers experienced and then we got to see what it looked like with only candles lighting it, as the first 'paid visitors' saw it.

The caves are amazing and one of the few caves where you can explore while standing up the entire time. There are some stairs and a couple of narrow places but even the largest people on our tour had no trouble getting around and through the openings - our ranger told us stories about the caves from a natural history and also cultural viewpoint so it was informative and exciting to see the caves in person.

The cost for the tour is ridiculously reasonable - I think it's $10 for adults and $5 for seniors and children. There were 20 people in our group, which is the maximum allowed, and it was about the right number for a cut-off as it would have been too crowded in some areas if it was a bigger group - reservations are recommended but a lot of people were able to get the times they wanted on a walk-up basis so if you're willing to chance it or to be flexible about when you see the caves, you can see what times are available when you arrive. I did find it a little challenging to make reservations as I called and left a message, then we played 'phone tag' until we finally were able to connect on the phone - I would have preferred to use an online reservation system but they didn't have one setup so all reservations had to be by phone or in person.

I enjoyed the tour so much, I would have been happy to go again if we had stayed one more day. If we get back to this park, I will definitely go on the cave tour again simply because there was so much information, I think it would be beneficial to hear it again and also because the caves were beautiful and interesting so worth taking another look.

Visited July 2014
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“A must see in nevada!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

You are taken underground to explore the caves. Never had an experience like this before, it is a must see if you are in the area, it is a rare experience for all.

2 Thank Vegasguy30
DF
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Go for the caves, stay for the ice-cream cookies!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

We visted the caves with a 6 yr old and 4 yr old so were only able to go on the short tour, which turned out okay because the 4 yr old was afraid then had to be escorted out. The tour was interesting but short, the story of the cave was probably more interesting than the rock formations.
At the end of the tour, we went to the small cafe next to the visitor's center and on the recommendation of the girls at the cafe bought their home-made chocolate chip cookie ice-cream sandwhich - best ever!

Visited July 2014