“excellent cave tour”
Review of Lehman Caves

Lehman Caves
More attraction details
Owner description: Caves which feature beautiful stalagmite and stalactite formations.
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The guided tour of Lehman Caves was well worth the stop. We purchased tickets over the phone a few days ahead and picked them up from the rangers the night before, along with a junior ranger book for our son. We stayed in the campground, which was small and somewhat on a slope but well maintained.
The tour was excellent - Ranger Katie was well informed, friendly and taught us a lot about cave features. It was an easy walk and there were people from young to old on our tour. Well worth the value.

1  Thank LeeTimHunter
"cave bacon"
"hidden gem"
"unique formations"

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is a must see if you are visiting the Great Basin National Park. You are not allowed to take anything inside apart from a camera but to preserve the caves it is not difficult to leave everything outside. The caves are very interesting and it is awe inspiring to see the stalagmites of all shapes and sizes adorning the sides of the caves. The ranger made the tour interesting and entertaining and allowed the visitors plenty of time to take photographs and really have a good look around.

2  Thank RedAuckland1
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Lehman Caves was one of the reasons we drove out of our way to Great Basin National Park. The tour was around $10 (discounted if you have a National Park pass) and lasted about an hour.

Due to the white nose fungus decimating the bat population, you are not allowed to take any items you wore or brought into other caves unless they have been cleaned. Wipes were available for cleaning cameras at the time of our visit.

You enter the cave through a long, narrow hallway. At the start of the tour, you stand in this hallway, in pitch dark. The guide suggests that if anyone feels uncomfortable i.e. claustrophobic or afraid of the dark, they should leave now, before entering the cave.

I strongly considered abandoning the tour at that point. My claustrophobia is triggered by crowds of people in small spaces (and knowing I can't leave when I want to). I decided to continue. As it turned out, standing in that hallway was probably the most claustrophobic moment for me. There were a few other narrow passages that made me squirm a bit, but for the most part it was possible to find enough space to remain calm... which was fortunate, since there's no escaping once you start the tour.

Our guide was articulate and interesting. He answered everyone's questions and helpfully kept his flashlight pointed on objects he noticed I was taking photos of. One of the features I remember the most was 'cave bacon', strips of mineral build up that really did look like bacon.

I was happy to have a small flashlight to see where I was walking, but it isn't necessary. This is one of the most interesting caves I've visited in the United States. I'm glad we detoured to Great Basin!

5  Thank Emera65
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a wonderful attraction. The tour leader was very knowledgeable and was able to answer any question. The tour was well worth the cost as it was very interesting and beautiful. They are located in the Great Basin National Park in the Ruby Mountain Range.