“mismanaged, but sucessful because it's the only game in town”

Pioneer Grill at Jackson Lake Lodge
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: For a less formal setting, the Pioneer Grill offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a classic 1950’s-style service. The Pioneer Grill at Jackson Lake Lodge is one of the oldest and rumored to be the longest continual counters at 200 ft. One counter snakes through the room, creating a friendly atmosphere where guests interact with travelers and employees from around the world. Be sure to enjoy one of our famous huckleberry milkshakes before you leave!
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We ate here twice during our stay at Jackson Lake Lodge; once for dinner, once for breakfast. At dinner, service was slow and unattentive (the guy refilled the water jug right in front of me and failed to notice my empty glass sitting right in front of him! He left the full jug with a plate over it (I guess so I wouldn't sneeze in it) on the wait counter in front of me. Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink unless I reached over into their "territory" and helped myself) and items came out of order (my salad came when I was half done with my dinner, after I reminded the waiter that it was part of my meal, drinks came after the food). Food was expensive and I would rate it a little lower than average quality. I figured perhaps it was that shift, or my bad luck in waiter, but breakfast was the same deal; food not coming unless we asked for it repeatedly, coming out of order, tasting mediocre at best.

The place is packed because it's really the only place to take a kid to eat at Jackson Lake. Adult choices are limited to finger-food type snacks at the bar, or an incredibly expensive dinner with cloth table-clothes and black-clothed wait-staff, or this "grill". It has a pleasant old-fashioned diner vibe, and there were neat old photos of the area on the wall (with captions), and it has great hot chocolate. Other than that, if there'd been somewhere else close by, we'd have given it a miss. Plan your meals and times better than we did, and you should be able to find something better elsewhere in the park.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

Strange seating arrangements as a series of bars with stools fill the room. The serving staff operate in the middle and the customers sit around the edge. The food is fairly typical grill food, sandwiches, soups, burgers, fries and some larger meals.

Food all good quality, the serving staff are friendly and it makes for an enjoyable casual dining experience.

Reviewed January 28, 2010

Pull up to the bar and order. Wait staff very friendly and great to visit with while you eat. Wait staff are kids from different parts of U. S. and foreign countries, and very interesting. Food is great. Sandwiches, snack type, but tasty. Desserts are out of this world, and always leave room for one. Huckleberry ice cream and mildshakes are special. We were there every night, met friends and had a great experience.

Reviewed August 29, 2009

The view from the lobby of the Jackson Lodge is magnificent. I felt like I was in a dream! The food, however, is something else. We got takeout from the Pioneer Grill and ate it on one of the comfy couches in the lobby. My kids got chicken tenders which were pretty good. My husband got a bison or elk burger(can't remember). It was just ok. My regular hamburger was tasteless and cold. Fries were ok. I wouldn't eat there again. However, I would definitely go to the Jackson Lodge for a snack or coffee,beer. You can also hike around this area or go for horseback rides(they only do rides 2x per day, so you have to book well in advance-we didn't which was our mistake).

Reviewed July 15, 2009

We had lunch here during September 2008. I had the catfish and my husband had a smoked trout wrap. The portions sizes were very generous and the food was good. We were not quite able to finish our meals because of the amount. The atmosphere was that of an old diner with patrons sitting at the soda fountain counter on bar stools.

The second floor of the Lodge provided a magnificent view of the Grand Teton Mountains.