“Schwabacher Landing - Road closed but still worth hiking”

Schwabacher Landing
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Before our trip August 19th, I looked over several reviews of GTNP and decided that Schwabacher Landing was on our list of stops. It was disappointing to see the road closed, additionally there are not any signs or remarks describing the area. To our best - the GTNP map was the only location guide we had other than asking park staff of the actual location. You can park near the main road at the closed gate and still hike it down to the landing/river. If you are into photos the stop is still very worth your time. We very much enjoyed the stop, even with the mile plus hike.

There are newer reviews for Schwabacher Landing

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The road to the landing is closed this year due to the sequester. However, you can still park on the highway and walk there, about 3 miles RT. I found it actually better because there was almost no one else once I made it to the landing itself. This is a great place to see moose, beaver, and waterfowl.

1  Thank trinjboro
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I've always found early mornings the best time for pics there; however, I did get a gorgeous shot about 4 one afternoon out by the log benches (trail to the right). No one around...sat there for about an hour, reading and taking some pics. So peaceful!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've taken many pictures at Schwabacher Landing over the years, but to my dismay, the road is closed this year! Sequestration strikes again! I noticed that several dirt roads were closed this year, and the Ranger said that it was the result of Sequestration. So if you want to see Schwabacher this year, you'll have a decent hike along the dirt road and I'm pretty sure the restrooms are closed at the parking area when you get there. Best time for pictures is definitely the morning.

1  Thank Apljavaman
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is an amazing spot to visit. You get amazing photographs of the tress and mountains reflecting in the water. Also see lots of different ducks. Great place to see ducks flying and to get some cool panning shots of the ducks flying very close to the water. You can usually spot a beaver there also. Very quiet and secluded place to visit. Very beautiful.

Big disappointment this year that Schwabacher Landing was closed to cars this year due to budget cuts from the government. You can still go visit there if you park your car on the main road and walk down. It is about a mile walk to get to the Landing, which is fine unless you are carrying a lot of photography equipment. Hopefully it will reopen to cars next year.

1  Thank tnt03