“Awesome vacation - We're planning next years' trip!”
Review of Jackson Lake Lodge

Jackson Lake Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed in the RV campground at ColterBay - part of GTL-Jackson Lake Lodge Resort. The first time in this area for our family. The Tetons, scenery and forest are breathtaking. We did more in seven days then planned but enjoyed it all. We saw over 24 different animals and birds in just one week. The "Bear Jams" was the only drawback which can stop traffic completely but the Rangers handle it very well.
Our activites included kayaking, fishing, white water rafting, horseback riding, hiking. Trips into Jackson, WY (45 min away) where we tried the Alpine Slide and tram ride as well as a few of the local restaurants, rodeo (Wed - Sat nights) and shopping. The area has something for everyone and just taking pictures became a full time event as there was something at almost every turn. A day trip to Yellowstone is well worth it to see all of the waterfalls and geysers.
The RV campground is very nice. The Lodge staff in all locations were very nice and helpful. Colter is alittle more laid back (then Jackson Lake) and has small general store for picking up groceries. The cabins and lodge rooms do not offer kitchenettes so we're glad we had a rental RV to do several of our meals but the restaurants we tried thru out the resort at different times were very good. They even have a heated pool at Jackson Lake which was great one day to relax.
DON'T FORGET to try Huckleberry ice cream, pie or jelly!!! Excellent!!!!!!!!!

There are newer reviews for Jackson Lake Lodge

Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed five nights in a Patio - King cottage in mid-June. The lodge itself is amazing with 60 foot tall windows in the lobby and the Mural dinning room - the Tetons are right in front of you! Hard to take your eyes off of the mountains and the lake. The Mural Room is as good as any 4 star restaurant we have eaten in - last year their quality seemed to fall off a bit, but we had 4 dinners and 4 breakfasts there this year and each one was wonderful. The breakfast buffet for $14 per person is excellent and the view is worth the price; the sun is on the mountains at that time of day - what a great way to start each morning. The more casual Grill also served excellent breakfast and a very good dinner, but the view in the Mural Room was just so unreal. One evening everyone in the dinner room stood up to the windows and watched a Grizzly Bear chase a herd of elk just below the lodge. We saw dozens of elk, Moose with calves, bears, fox, and coyotes just below the lodge while sipping great milkshakes after dinner each night. It was like being in a different world.
The rooms are in small attached cottages, not real fancy, but very comfortable, with ceiling fans, modern bathrooms, lots of storage, and a nice covered patio with comfortable chairs and table. We have always requested the one-level cottages and found them to be very clean, with very comfortable beds and good quality linens. There is no TV, but the rooms do have telephones, hairdryers, and coffee makers. Cell phone service is good in the area; may people were using the internet within the lodge lobby, but we go on vacation to get away from all that and we didn't miss it at all. We saw every form of American wildlife imaginable within a mile of the lodge. We did not use the outdoor heated pool, but were told by others that it was nice. The staff were helpful and very friendly. I would highly recommend the Jackson Lake Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Babycat1955
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stop by the activities desk and ask for Charlie Ammirati when you pick up your room key.
Charlie, quite the personality, is a show unto himself, but he can also advise you as to how to make this "the best vacation in your life!" He knows the park and all the activities. He spontaneously composed a two-day itinerary for us to see as many animals as possible.
We saw antelope, bison, moose, fox, elk, beaver, and a fox! Great advice.
And a nice place to stay too!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We had a "cabin" with a view, because that was all they had available. The price was well above what we paid for any other room during the rest of our vacation. I hoped the view would make up for it. Well, our view was spectacular. The "cabin" (which is a building that is detached from the main hotel and looks sort of like a 2 story apartment building, with about 10 "cabins" per building) had a HUGE picture window facing the Tetons, so immediately on walking in, you get this amazing view. Our room was on the first floor, so we had a patio (2d floor had decks with no ground access). Each patio has privacy screens, 2 lounge chairs, and a table. Since we were still on eastern time, we were able to go sit on our patio and watch the sun rise onto the Tetons. Beautiful and peaceful. I wandered out into the field a little to watch, and when I turned back I saw that there were other people on their deck/patio enjoying the view, and I immediately felt a little guilty for being in the way of their view, and disturbing the illusion that you are the only person up. It was a great way to start the day.

I guess you want to know about the room, though. It was equipped with 2 double beds with good mattresses (but pilly sheets for some reason), 2 small chairs and a small round table, numerous lamps (really probably too many; there was one on every surface!), a highboy dresser, and a built-in bookcase. There was a mini kitchen with sink and small fridge, and 2 large cabinets there (enhancing the fantasy that we could actually afford to stay there long enough to have enough things to fill the cabinets!). The bathroom was standard hotel fare. The beds were kind of smooshed into the room; I had the side closest to the picture window, and there wasn't enough room to walk to my side; I could either shuffle sideways or crawl over the bed. Same with the other bed furthest from the window. There was a door to the outside, and then what looked like another door up by the head of our bed. The first day, I couldn't figure out how to open it; the handle seemed to just flop around. After inspecting it from the outside, I figured out that it was a full length screened door with a built-in shutter. I was able to open the shutters after some fiddling, but by then it was very cold, so I shut them back up again! Given that the bugs were out, I wish I had figured it out when we first arrived, because the room had been too warm, and we'd left the doors open to cool it off, which invited some mosquitoes in for dinner.

I had 2 major disappointments with this room. First was that there was an outlet near the front door which had a cracked faceplate. Half the faceplate was missing, so any kid could stick their finger in there and get zapped. Very unsafe, and very obvious, so I was shocked (no pun intended) that they hadn't fixed it before they filled the room. Second, you pay for these rooms based on the number of people you put in them. No "kids stay free" here. So, we paid for the 5 of us, but the room was equipped with 4 glasses, 4 washclothes, 4 towels. If I'm paying $30 each night for my 3d kid to stay in my room, I want him to have his own glass and towel, know what I'm saying? So why didn't I just call and get these taken care of? Well, I did. We arrived late at night, but I called the front desk to report the issues at 7am. They offered to send someone right over to repair things, but I said go ahead and do it during the day while we were out. Got back around 7pm, nothing had been done. Called the front desk again, they said they'd send maintenance out to do the outlet repair, but my youngest was trying to get to sleep, so I declined that, but asked if they would send over a towel so he could shower in the morning. 20 minutes later, this guy shows up with about 5 bath towels. Overkill! I wondered if it was some comment on how petty we were being, but again, we were paying for it, and did need it!! At checkout, a manager overheard me telling the clerk about the issues, and she apologized and discounted our stay. That, I did appreciate, given the price of the room, but overall I wish the room had just wowed me as much as the view did, and it didn't.

The hotel, what we saw of it, was gorgeous. I think I'd try to stay in the main hotel next time (but book early!!).

Reviewed June 29, 2010

After camping for three nights, we were thrilled to clean up and lounge at the hotel. The lobby view was spectular. The restaurant is worth the splurge. Only disappointment -- they said the hotel pool was heated but the heater was broken. Kids still enjoyed their swim. The lodge retains its 1950s charm - but the rooms are all renovated.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

Our room, View Cottage 569, was spacious, clean and virtually irrelevant. What was relevant was the spectacular view of the Tetons from the door, the bed, and the balcony. The majesty of the mountains can not be described. But back to the room: amenities included a fridge, mini wet-bar sink and coffee maker; hairdryer; eco-friendly shampoo/conditioner/body wash dispensers built into the wall of the full-size tub/shower combo in the self-contained bathroom; iron and ironing board; 2 massive closets; a dresser, telephone and two chairs and a small table on the balcony. Everything was clean and comfortable.

The walk from the room to the lodge is pretty, clearly marked and well landscaped. The Lodge building itself is inspiring and breathtaking. The arrival at the top of the stairs from the lobby just can not be described in words. The staff was superb from check-in to check-out, we had a great light lounge-type meal at the Blue Heron where we watched opening night of NFL football, and we were met with smiles at every turn. We arranged for a Snake River raft trip through the GTLC that was the highlight of our 10 day trip: educational, informative, beautiful and just fun.

We loved Jackson Lake Lodge and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2010

The room at Jackson Lake Lodge looked OK, but it had a funny, unpleasant smell in it that never did go away. The telephone did not work properly, one of the number keys had a lot of static to it and didn't "tone" correctly, so it took forever to place a calling card call. At least the room had a phone. JLL seemed to provide less coffee/tea with the room than other lodgings during this trip. I suppose I could have asked for more. I never did complain about the smell in the room (afraid I would be moved to a worse room!) There were dispensers for soap, lotion, conditioner, etc. in the bathroom area (next to sink and in the shower). While economical, this seemed cheesy to me, especially when JLL was the most expensive room of the entire trip! ($239 per night plus tax, etc.) I also prefer to know the ingredients of the products I am using, and no information was provided for the shampoo, gel, etc. On the bright side, the lotion really smoothed out my rough hands, so maybe it was quality stuff. The room had three windows that all opened and had screens - but only two of them could be locked! I guess I just expected a little more for the money. This was supposed to be the "classy" accommodation of my entire vacation! Did enjoy the high ceiling and the ceiling fan. The comforter on the bed - at least I think it was a comforter - was awful heavy, it was like being buried under a quilt filled with sand! I used my own blankets. The beds did have good mattresses, and the high ceiling made the room seem much bigger than it was. Parking was right in front of the cottage, very convenient. Interestingly, Jackson Lake Lodge was the only place the entire trip where staff did NOT ask at check-out whether I had enjoyed my stay...

Take-out dinner from the cafeteria was disappointing. The gal at the counter wrote my name down wrong, so my meal sat for at least 15 minutes and got soggy inside the container while I waited to be called. The fork and knife provided were of the cheapest, flimsiest plastic available. I ate my meal using the plastic utensils provided by the deli at Canyon Village the day before, instead. (In comparison, they were nearly hard as Lexan. The plastic fork JLL provided with a steak dinner would not even pierce the meat without the tines snapping off.) The steak was good and cooked to order, but the garlic fries limp & slimy garlic fries and the "seasonal vegetables" (peas and carrots!) reminded me of TV dinners. Dining choices at JLL were limited to the "cafeteria" (eating in crowded, noisy surroundings, or take out) and the Mural Room (too haughty and expensive - nearly $40 for a steak). The Blue Heron bar has a tasty huckleberry margarita, but their menu was limited to appetizers.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
JacksonLakeLodgeMgr, Manager at Jackson Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2010

I wanted to take a moment to personally thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Jackson Lake Lodge. I’m sorry that the room’s smell didn’t meet your expectations, and that your phone made it challenging to make outbound calls. We also used your feedback during some of our preshift meetings regarding the take-out process in the Pioneer Grill. We feel confident that the items that you have mentioned have been corrected so future guests do not struggle with the same things.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Teton National Park
#4 of 7 in Teton Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
Hotel Terra Jackson Hole, A Noble House Resort
Grand Targhee Resort

Been to Jackson Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!