“Can't Beat the View, But People Could Dampen Your Stay”
Review of Jackson Lake Lodge

Jackson Lake Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My mom and I have stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge for the last three years trips to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. My parents stayed here for the first time in the late 1960's, and I love the sentimental aspect of being here along with the other great aspects of being here.
We love Jackson Lake Lodge overall. We always stay in a Teton View Cottage. This year, that ran us about $300.00 a night. The lobby is wonderful with it's spectacular view of the meadows and the Teton range. The cafeteria is very nostalgic in a good way. It is clean and generally serves good food for the price. The decorations and room itself hasn't changed much over the years, which makes it really lovely. Dining in the Mural Room offers pretty good food and an outstanding view of the Tetons.
What really dampened this trip for us was the horribly inconsiderate parents that allowed their children to yell and scream out on their cottage balconies and on the grassy areas in front of the cottages. Children woke us up at 6:30 one morning and later that afteroon, while we were trying to enjoy the beauty, peace and quiet that our balcony and view should have offered, we again had to put up with listening to two separate groups of children screaming, yelling, and batting rocks. I talked to the front desk, to no avail. They did not address our concern at all. I guess in the pc world today, the rights of inconsiderate parents and their unruly children take priority over behaving properly for the environment . I was very angry with the situation and asked to be moved to a view lodge room. Of course, they did not have any available. So I wrote a note and put it on the door of the inconsiderate parents - that made me feel a little better. We stayed one more night and left the following morning, cutting our stay short by one night, and decided that in the future, if we were to stay at Jackson Lake Lodge, it would only be in a view Lodge room. At least there are no balconies for unruly children to annoy adults.
The second floor View Cottage rooms have a high ceiling, comfortable beds and pillows, a sitting area, and plenty of storage. They were refurbished several years ago with new carpeting and bedding. A sink, coffee pot and refrigerator are off the bathroom. The bathrooms could use some updating.
We travel the first week of June or after Labor Day to this area, avoiding families the best we can, but it didn't work this year. The lack of staff to address our problem forced me to leave an overall average. Had it not been for the rude parents and children and staff not addressing the problem, I would have given Jackson Lake Lodge a 4 star rating.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Love-Wyoming
Write a ReviewReviews (2,040)

Reviewed June 17, 2011

My husband, granddaughter, and I just got back from the Grand Tetons where we had a great stay at The Jackson Lake Lodge. The Lodge is made up of several rows of motel units. There are also some rooms inside the main lodge. Be aware that some rooms are smaller than others. Also, some have meadow veiws, some have fabulous views of the Tetons, some have views of trees, and most have no views. We stayed in room 216, a patio cottage which we loved. (I also liked the locations of rooms 516 through 544, even numbers only, and the two story buildings.) Our room, which looked recently refurbished, was spacious and attractive. It had a big window which faced a hill of trees and bushes. We parked our car right in front of the room. The room had two great queen beds, two comfortable chairs and a table, lots of closet space, and a dresser with several drawers. It had two sinks, one of which was outside the small bathroom. We appreciated the quiet heater. All the rooms are located within a short walk to the main lodge where there is lots of comfortable seating with windows facing the Grand Tetons. several gift shops, and two restaurants. We ate at the Pioneer Grill which had a good menu, good food, and great service. We did not get a chance to eat in the Mural Room, but the restaurant looked very appealing with large picture windows facing spectacular views. The rooms, the main lodge, the pool, the playground, the stables, and the walking trails are all reasons that make this lodge a great choice. On our prior two visits to the Tetons, we stayed at the Colter Bay cabins, which are different, but wonderful too. You may contact me, if you have any questions about either of the two lodges. We thoroughly enjoyed our entire experience at the Jackson Lake Lodge. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank VacationingChris
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Next to Many Glacier Lodge and Jenny Lake Lodge this is our favorite National Park lodge. Excellent location in the northern section of Grand Teton away from tourist trap:Jackson Hole. Comfortable rooms. Beautiful main lodge. Friendly, well-trained staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank martinibill7777
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in one of the cottages and were somewhat underwhelmed. The low lights: The carpet was worn and torn. The walls were thin enough that someone snoring in the adjacent room kept us awake. It was unseasonably cold and the heater could not counteract the visible cracks in the wall beneath the windows.
If you stay here remember that you are paying for the location, not for great lodging.

Room Tip: The lodge rooms may be better than the cottages?
Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Cottages were no value in my opinion. We had just stayed at Canyon Lodge in the Western cabins but we decided to book an official Teton stay at the Jackson Lake Lodge. I wish we had stayed at Yellowstone and just drove down for the Tetons. The couple we were traveling with had to change cottages twice due to a musty odor. Our young son became sick and vomited after drinking some water from the faucet in our room. When the immediate illness subsided he rested and then I recommended a shower. When he was in the shower clean water from the toilet began to overflow in the bathroom! What a mess. All was explained at checkout and we were told maintenance would deal with the plumming issue. We speculate that our cabin was not the first with plumming issues since our traveling compainions had such troubles with odor. Also the grill in the lodge had disappointing customer service. Our waitress was short and unfriendly making our stay even more disappointing. I cannot recommend this establishment for lodging or the lodge grill for dining.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 7, 2011

My family of four stayed for three nights. We were originally booked for a cabin but opted for a lodge room with a view when offered at check in. The staff wad very friendly and helpful. The view is magnificent. Being a lodge, the key is to use the open public spaces. The rooms are not spacious, but clean and well done. We ordered breakfast from the Pioneer Grill and ate in the great hall one morning. We had one special meal in the Mural Room. For our first time in a national park lodge, we had a great experience (be prepared to pay for it though).

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I couldn't have been more awestruck by the view that greeted me as I came up the stairs into the lobby. The wall of windows framed the most perfect picture of the Grand Tetons! It is the perfect location to enjoy the area. We stayed in a standard room in the Lodge itself. The room was a tad cramped, but, it was very clean and tidy, as was all the rest of the Lodge. There were housekeeping staff always buzzing around the common areas at all hours of the day. We also ate in the Mural Room the two nights we stayed here and the food was wonderful as well. I would definately return here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Teton Teepee Lodge
Colter Bay Village
Colter Bay Village
#5 of 16 in Grand Teton National Park

Been to Jackson Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!