“New Name for this Lake”
Review of Amphitheater Lake

Amphitheater Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic lake popular with hikers.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Before you reach Amphitheater Lake you see Surprise Lake, which should be named "Thank God There are No More Switchbacks Lake". And now that I think about it, I could rename Amphitheater Lake, "I'm So Glad I Didn't Listen to My Body and Turn Around After Seeing Surprise Lake Lake". Seriously, it was a challenging upward climb, over 3000ft gain in elevation, but well worth the effort. I liked Amphitheater better--plan on spending at least an hour here eating your lunch or taking a nap and enjoying the peaceful scenery.

3  Thank DaveManhattanBeach
in 23 reviews
"lake"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Trail is a little rigorous, but the reward is worth it. The lake is spectacular and the views of the tetons can't be beat.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Probably to many people read the previous reviews, but when I did this hike, there was a lot of people and no privacy, also no animals. It was hard, fun, but there are betters in Gran Teton. We did it at 11AM, may be different time will have different luck. Took us 2h 45min to go up and almost 2h to go down (we are in decent shape though).

1  Thank regular-traveller25
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was a fat guy walking up a hill - how good could it be? 3000' of elevation gain. Kept thinking, wow, I am high up.

Reward is at the top, 2 lakes, both beautiful. Well worth the hike.
Great Pix and one of my favorite hikes ever. Goosebumps.

2  Thank liketwobike
See more reviews
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We started out early, early....within the first hour we had seen more bears and elk than people. 18 switches and 3 hours later we were at the top; what an awesome view. If you want to similiar hike with out all the people check out Homes Caves; pack a lunch and plenty of water. We loved them both.

1  Thank pan513