“Rustic charm makes these cabins a winner for families”
Review of Colter Bay Village

Colter Bay Village
GreenLeadersBronze level
Andalusia, Alabama
“Rustic charm makes these cabins a winner for families”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Our cabin was situated on the edge of the campground, so we had woods behind us, which added to the rustic charm of this place. The decor was really basic, and the bedding was cozy and warm. We were concerned about our heat in the cabin because temperatures outside were in the 30s-40s at night. Our concerns were unfounded, and we were all warm. There's no TV here, and no wi-fi (much to our children's dismay), so if you hope to unplug, this is the perfect location! With 8 of us in a cabin with one bathroom, it was a bit trying. There's a VERY rustic stand-up shower, and the bathroom is small. But, it's in the cabin (we had a two-bedroom cabin with a bath in between the two rooms). We were really looking for a "camping" feel with a little more protection than a tent would have given us with cool outdoor temps. And, this cabin gave us just that! Also, within about 100 yards of our cabin, there is a really nice bath house, that families could use. The marina is also within walking distance of the cabins, and has canoe and kayak rentals on the lake with an awesome view. We loved this, and even our sometimes hard-to-please kids (ranging in age from 10-20) liked the place. Check it out if you're looking for a rustic value in the Tetons!

5 Thank Momand7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Cabin is an experience which is quite different from regular hotel room.

No Wifi, No internet, no TV, no telephone, poor cell signal which made you back to long time ago.

The cabin is not so big and was a little cold in May.

But I like it. It was natural.. Also the cabin is not far away from the lake. You can always do your walk or boating there.

If...if....you are really addicted to the internet... The lobby has it but need to re-authorize every 30 minutes?

The rate was a little expensive, so it is just for an experience...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Ryan R, Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for your positive words in regards to our historic cabins here at Colter Bay Village. Part of the charm and experience of Colter Bay is the rustic atmosphere here in Grand Teton National Park. Our proximity to Jackson Lake and panoramic views of the Teton range are among some of the draws. Also, our lobby internet has since improved and no longer kicks you off after 20 minutes. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we welcome you back.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

It is very rustic which is nice but bathroom is the worst, the toilet backing up, shortage of hot water, poor towel and holes in the walls make the room a haven for ants, spiders and who-knows what else. It was a little better then a tent. We decided to rent the cabin before we went over because it would be wormer then a tent and a bathroom, we were wrong in both cases the heater made so much noise and barely heated the room. The price was what hurt the worst, for a party of three it was ~167.00 to 175.00 a night. Very poor accommodation and pricing I would not recommend it. The Teton was nice!

Room Tip: No phones or tv in the room you needed to walk to the office to get service and very poor cell servi...
Ryan R, Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am deeply sorry in regards to your less than perfect stay here at Colter Bay Village. Our cabins are indeed rustic, however the experiences you had are not reflective of what we strive to provide here in the Tetons. Our historic cabins are under constant improvements to ensure a positive guest experience. Thank you again for your feedback, as we are always looking to improve the guest experience.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This was the only place I could find near the park for Memorial Day weekend. Actually the location is great because it is in Teton park. I think if we stayed in Jackson, it would have been a bit far to drive back and forth. Our cabin was a side by side cabin and it is rustic. It was really too big for just my father and I. My elderly father wasn't happy because it was a little to outdoors for him. Here are my thoughts...

Good
- Large room (depends on which cabin they give you, some looked really small)
- Comfortable bed
- Nice location inside the park and by the water
- Close to general store, laundry mat, restaurants, visitor center

Other
- Room was really cold even when I found the heater and turned it on
- I could hear the Chinese guests next door talking loudly while I was trying to go to sleep
- I took a shower at 9 pm only to have no hot water
- No wifi in the rooms only in the check in area
- Cold floors bring slippers
- No free breakfast have to use the restaurant or go to the general store
- No hairdryers ( you have to go and ask for one)
- Rather overpriced for what you get

If you want to stay in the park and don't mind not having all the amenities of a regular hotel, then this is the place. It is really dark at night - be aware that there are bears around. We saw a family of bears just outside the entrance in a clearing. I wouldn't walk around there outside at night alone...

1 Thank IntlTrainer
Ryan R, Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for your feedback in regards to our quaint rustic cabins, we always appreciate feedback. Our cabins range in size, as they are part of the original homestead and settlement of Jackson Hole, WY. We strive to give genuine, authentic guest experiences through our piece of history. Thank you for staying with us and I welcome you back soon.

Villa Rica, Georgia
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are in the Grand Teton National Park for the first time, and my sister and her husband booked rooms at Colter Bay. It is a place with about 165 cabins (some half of a duplex) in the middle of the Park and are just special. The cabins were most often built in the 1930s as parts of dude ranches that were purchased to become part of the park, and while rustic, have everything you need (though internet and phone services are limited). Great place to get away with a breathtaking view of the Tetons.

Room Tip: This place is a bit rustic, but the beds are good, the staff and other visitors have been special, a...
1 Thank del w
Ryan R, Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
I greatly appreciate your wonderful feedback of Colter Bay Village. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our wonderful views and closeness to the wildlife of Grand Teton National Park. We look forward to hosting you again.

Grayson
Reviewed May 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed in a cabin in Colter Bay. If I could do it over again, I'd stay in Yellowstone or in Cody. This is a very rustic 100 year old cabin. The bed is very uncomfortable and the bathroom freezes, even with the heat on. But it really is way over priced. It's truly worth about $50-$60. The people are very helpful and friendly and the view you walk to at the water is truly amazing! We stayed in Mammoth Springs in Yellowstone in a cabin for $89 a night and we were much more pleased. I give Colter Bay such a bad rating b/c they charge you about three times what they should. Also, we stayed 2 nights and when we came back to the room the first evening, the room was how we left it. No clean towels for our showers the next morning. : (

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laura W
Ryan R, Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Firstly, thank you for your response in regards to your stay here at Colter Bay Village. I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. We do host our guests in rustic cabins ranging in age up to 118 years old, as they are apart of the original Jackson Hole homesteads. I appreciate your feedback and I hope you enjoyed the view and experience here in Colter Bay. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to assist in the future.

Brisbane,
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Our cabin was basic but comfortable and perhaps a bit overpriced for what was there. A bit disappointing there was no fridge or kitchen facilities, but understandable with the bears foraging problem. On one of the nights there was a power outage, but it was repaired within a few hours after a courier was sent round the cabins updating guests about the problem. The range of food at the restaurants was not the best, but a good meal may be had at the Jackson Lake Lodge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bksimon43
Ryan R, Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for your response. I am very glad you were comfortable during your stay here at Colter Bay Village. Our proximity to wildlife does raise caution when dealing with cabin kitchen facilities, but I greatly appreciate your understanding. We do have a newly revamped menu at our Restaurant here, but I would always recommend a meal at our sister property, Jackson Lake Lodge. I welcome you back in the future and thank you for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Teton National Park
Jenny Lake Lodge
Jenny Lake Lodge
#4 of 14 in Grand Teton National Park
Heart Six Guest Ranch

Been to Colter Bay Village? Share your experiences!