“What a wonderful place”
Review of Colter Bay Village

Colter Bay Village
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are in the Grand Teton National Park for the first time, and my sister and her husband booked rooms at Colter Bay. It is a place with about 165 cabins (some half of a duplex) in the middle of the Park and are just special. The cabins were most often built in the 1930s as parts of dude ranches that were purchased to become part of the park, and while rustic, have everything you need (though internet and phone services are limited). Great place to get away with a breathtaking view of the Tetons.

Room Tip: This place is a bit rustic, but the beds are good, the staff and other visitors have been special, a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank del w
Ryan R, Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

I greatly appreciate your wonderful feedback of Colter Bay Village. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our wonderful views and closeness to the wildlife of Grand Teton National Park. We look forward to hosting you again.

There are newer reviews for Colter Bay Village

Reviewed May 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed in a cabin in Colter Bay. If I could do it over again, I'd stay in Yellowstone or in Cody. This is a very rustic 100 year old cabin. The bed is very uncomfortable and the bathroom freezes, even with the heat on. But it really is way over priced. It's truly worth about $50-$60. The people are very helpful and friendly and the view you walk to at the water is truly amazing! We stayed in Mammoth Springs in Yellowstone in a cabin for $89 a night and we were much more pleased. I give Colter Bay such a bad rating b/c they charge you about three times what they should. Also, we stayed 2 nights and when we came back to the room the first evening, the room was how we left it. No clean towels for our showers the next morning. : (

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura W

Firstly, thank you for your response in regards to your stay here at Colter Bay Village. I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. We do host our guests in rustic cabins ranging in age up to 118 years old, as they are apart of the original Jackson Hole homesteads. I appreciate your feedback and I hope you enjoyed the view and experience here in Colter Bay. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to assist in the future.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Our cabin was basic but comfortable and perhaps a bit overpriced for what was there. A bit disappointing there was no fridge or kitchen facilities, but understandable with the bears foraging problem. On one of the nights there was a power outage, but it was repaired within a few hours after a courier was sent round the cabins updating guests about the problem. The range of food at the restaurants was not the best, but a good meal may be had at the Jackson Lake Lodge.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bksimon43

Thank you for your response. I am very glad you were comfortable during your stay here at Colter Bay Village. Our proximity to wildlife does raise caution when dealing with cabin kitchen facilities, but I greatly appreciate your understanding. We do have a newly revamped menu at our Restaurant here, but I would always recommend a meal at our sister property, Jackson Lake Lodge. I welcome you back in the future and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We were looking for a rustic cabin with little amenities, so we had low expectations going in. The cabin was cute, private and had our essentials (i.e., bed and bathroom). We only stayed three nights and were only there to sleep, so it worked for us. But if you're looking for luxury and lots of comfort, this may not be right for you.

Pros:
Great price for the area
Two restaurants on site
Very friendly staff
Gas station/convenient store on site
Close to Jackson, String Lake, Grand Teton Lodge and Yellowstone

Cons:
Very uncomfortable bed
A little on the dirty side
No tv
No fridge or microwave

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank casehann

I greatly appreciate your response and I am glad you had an enjoyable time in Grand Teton National Park. Our rustic cabins are quite simple, but as you mentioned cute and a true piece of Jackson Hole, WY history. What we lack in amenities we certainly make up for in location, view and guest service. We hope to see you in the park again soon. Let us know how we can help accommodate.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We opted for one of the canvas cabins. This was Day 2 of a 7,600 mile driving trip. We arrived as the sun set behind the Grand Tetons - a simply awe-inspiring sight. After finding our way to the office, we navigated up to our tent-cabin and unloaded. There is electricity to each tent, but flashlights are extremely helpful.

The beds were fold-down iron cots with a thin mattress - we brought sleeping bags and were quite comfortable. Be prepared for chilly nights; it was 36 degrees F. when we awoke early the next morning. The bathroom building was not far from us, either.

It is important to note that showers are down at the main campground area; not a short walk. We hopped in the SUV, drove down, showered and headed out. While I have stayed several times before at Grand Teton National Park, this was just an overnight stop. It was comfortable, inexpensive and we were able to get out and on our way easily.

Room Tip: There's not a bad campsite...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank deep_in_Dallas

Thank you for your response of Tent Village, one of our other lodging accommodations. Being more rustic than our cabins, there are fold down cots opposed to true beds. Like you explained, a truly awe inspiring view. I am glad you had a wonderful and comfortable stay with us and I welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed here in August 2013 in the two bedroom cabin, which was great since my husband and I were traveling with his parents, my soon-to-be in-laws at the time.

We weren't in the room much, but it was pretty modern for a cabin. While we were there we went on a 10 hour, 20 mile hike to the top of Static Peak. I'd highly recommend it for the fellow outdoorsmen and women.

I'd recommend carrying bear spray as we did hear some bears. I'm not sure how well it would work, but it's better than having nothing at all.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Angela D

Thank you for your response and I am glad you enjoyed what is one of my favorite hikes, Static Peak. I am glad you were pleased with our accommodations while staying here and were able to take advantage of the park. As a side note, bear spray is said to be 92% effective and is highly recommended to all of our guests. We look forward to hosting you again in the future and thank you for your review of Colter Bay Village.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I'm not sure why there isn't a specific campground portion as there is with Jenny Lake but oh well.

I initially wanted Jenny Lake but I'm glad I was placed here. It is a large campground at a popular national park so it will be crowded at times however you have all of the conveniences you need. Wooded sites, wifi at the laundry if you need it, a decently priced store, bear boxes at the sites which makes life so much easier, and many other things.
Overall it was rather clean and the staff that I saw were always cleaning.
I also visited Yellowstone and I must say Tetons is more of an adventure park as opposed to Yellowstone which was just lots of driving. I'll stay here the entire time next trip.

I did sunset at Signal Mountain (not the top but there is a small trail around the main S curve) and sunrise at the lake you pass as you go to Signal Mountain from the campground. GO to the lake prior to sunrise and wait for the sun to hit the peaks and WOW! I didn't have the best camera for it but I attached a photo. It is a must. (and if you go with your kids or loud family keep them QUIET!)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
#4 of 14 in Grand Teton National Park
Jenny Lake Lodge
Jenny Lake Lodge
#3 of 14 in Grand Teton National Park

Been to Colter Bay Village? Share your experiences!