“Excellent”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Yorba Linda
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in our cabin. Very roomy! We loved how it was easy access to everything. Great hiking trails close by! Wi-Fi was close in a visitor lounge in the cabin area. Very quiet! Hermitage Point was a great hike! We will stay there again!!!

Room Tip: If you like cabins, a little rustic and private....this is great!!!!
1 Thank Richard N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Westminster, Colorado, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We recently stayed in one of the cabins at Colter Bay to attend a friends wedding. The overall setting is beautiful, unfortunately the cabin accomidation was extremely poor. The cabin was dirty! There were cob webs, dust and dirt balls throughout. I saw a vacuum on one of the housekeeping carts but not sure if it's used. On the second night we returned late from the wedding and didn't realize there were no clean towels or washcloths. I'm not sure if there is any supervision of the housekeeping staff. At a $200 a night price point the cabins at Colter Bay are extremely disappointing due to the filth!

1 Thank Bob K
Molly C, Assistant General Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize that your cabin was not up to our cleanliness standards and that your linens were not replaced. I have addressed these issues with our housekeeping management to ensure that an incident like this does not occur again. I hope the wedding you attended was beautiful and you enjoyed your time in the Park.
oklahoma
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed 7 days at colter bay RV park in the full hook-up section and loved it! All were good size pull through sites that fit our 38ft 5th wheel great, plenty of room in each site. Now it was nothing fancy, no fires in the campground, sites were not perfectly level or the grass was not mowed but you have to realize this is supposed to be camping in a natural environment which is kind of what camping in Yellowstone/ Tetons is about. If you want level concrete pads and no dirt being tracked around this place is not it but I think it is part of the experience! Heck we even had a bear alarm/warning go off about 11 one night which advised of a bear in the area and to stay inside. They had a nice shower house with tons of showers that were nice and hot but did cost I think $3.75 for me and my son but no time limit and the other bad thing was it closed at 9:30 but nothing to complain about. They had a nice grocery store that was VERY well stocked and the prices were actually very reasonable, think a gallon of milk was about $4( paid more than that for a 1/2 gallon in Glacier NP the week before!) Nice marina where me and the kids rented a canoe and went out on Jackson lake( again advised not to beach them to swim because of bears being spotted on the beaches outside the bay). Also a nice ranch house restaurant where we had the breakfast buffet one morning and it was very good. Now there were a few spots on the beaches in the bay that did have fire rings to where you could build a fire and cook out but had to get there early to grab one which was fine because the view of the mountains on the other side of the lake were just awesome, water was even warm enough for the kids to swim while before we built a fire. Definitely would stay here again!

Room Tip: book early, they were always full by night fall.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank keyster72
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Maybe this was just a little too rustic for us, but reading other reviews, we are thankful to have had a private bathroom! The cabin was nice enough. It was a little dark and the bathroom was small and a little outdated. But everything was clean. Walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night was treacherous so I would recommend to management to install some low lighting in the bathroom.
The location was great. There were pathways between the cabins to the restaurants and general store. We visited the Jackson Lake Lodge and while we were a little jealous of the beautiful accommodations there, we paid about half of what that would have cost.

Lansing, KS
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My adult son and I stayed here on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 for one night as one of our stops on a nine day, 6 state Epic Mountain Bike and National Parks Adventure. (That's one of the things we called it, anyway). We saw several state and national park campgrounds. We stayed at the tent portion of Colter Bay Village. We wanted to stay at Jenny Lake and probably would have enjoyed that location more but this was a decent campground. Very friendly check in, adequate campground site, nothing special or remarkable. We were reasonably close to a restroom that was basic-two sinks, a urinal and two toilets. It was not very clean but it was not filthy either. It was camping with open windows, screens and an all night light that attracted some bugs who died and littered the sinks in the morning. Very high water pressure at the outside spigot. Fire ring and bear box come standard with each site which is nice. Sites are close enough to hear others nearby but not stare at each other like at Yellowstone's Grant Village Tent area.
The nearby (not walking distance in my opinion) shower/laundry building was very nice, clean, inexpensive, professionally run and worth the visit. ( we had just returned to the campsite from a thirty mile MTB ride up and down the ski slope mountains in nearby Jackson, Wyoming and were hot, tired and dusty/sweaty. The hot showers felt great.) We took a tour through the camp store and were very impressed. Great selection of cheeses, meats, vegetables a deli type sandwich station, large selection of beers, sodas, other soft drinks and juices. Prices were better than what we paid in an Albertson's Grocery in downtown Jackson earlier. All-in-all a very good place and a good value but not that pretty or clean. No other campgrounds at Grant Tetons National Park had showers to my knowledge.

Room Tip: Not a room, a campsite. They choose it for you.
2 Thank David T
Molly C, Assistant General Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for visiting Colter Bay! I'm glad the campground worked well for you on your epic adventure. It sounds like the showers offered in the launderette were a much needed stop on your trip. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your trip and visit us in Colter Bay again.
Hoeilaart
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The cabins at Colter Bay village are beautifully located in a wooded area and also located in a way that the visitors Center, the general store and the restaurant facilities are within walking distance. The cabins were the only one 'real' cabins that I have met during our two weeks trip through Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. They were made of real logs of trees which we found nice. The interior was adequate, clean and within sufficient space. The only suggestion I would have is that the sanitary conditions could be modernised, they were old fashioned. I think as a consequence of that the cleaning didn't have the effect it would have had in a modern environment. The bathroom was just not clean. Prices were with about $ 175 per night per cabin for two people really over the top,as anywhere in the parks, were there is a monopoly for one company on lodging facilities. Over all still a nice/acceptable but expensive experience and I would go back there if in Grand Teton National Park.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for visiting us at Colter Bay Village. I'm glad you found the cabins to be authentic and unique. Each cabin has a historic significance to the Jackson Hole area, and the histories are displayed in each. We hope you'll visit again!
Frederick, Colorado
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I so want to give this place five stars but to be fair to my fellow travelers I have to be completely honest.

The good. Check in is a breeze with signs showing you where to go, friendly staff. The on site grocery/convenience store is huge like a mini grocery store. If you are cooking at one of the tent city barbecues then you are all set (the cabins have no cooking rule and no outside barbecue). The store is well stocked with single marinated pieces of meat to a nice selection of beer and wine (pricey but nice), cheese, yogurt, bagels you name it.

We at dinner at the on site Ranch House and loved it. Not a huge menu, it is barbecue and you get your choice of chicken, pork, brisket, spicy mac & cheese, and a couple of fish entrees. I had the pork with apples and cabbage and baked beans as my side and loved it all! That's saying alot as I am somewhat of a barbecue snob. Had a single salad from salad bar and it was also delish. We ate in the bar area and our bartender (Alan?? from Florida) was so nice.
Dinner was open until 9 and bar until 10, they also have a more casual cafe but we did not try it.

They do have a small area where you can get wifi and they give you the code at check in.

It is a very short walk from the cabins to views that are to die for, we walked down in the evening and in the morning so I could take a million pictures of it.

Now the bad. We stayed in cabin 412 which is a string of four cabins. Totally cute inside until I realized you can hear every conversation, burp, cough, snort, urination, toilet paper rolling etc.....from the room with the shared wall bath. The other side which is the log wall side did not seem near as bad. I'm telling you be prepared, I had read other reviews about this but did not think it could seriously be that bad. If the people next to you have kids then your doomed! I did write Colter Bay to complain that these cabins need to be converted to one but the only advice I have is ask for a cabin that is not attached to another as there are lots of them, you may be paying more but if you want some sleep then well worth it.

1 Thank westerngal72
Thank you for your review of Colter Bay Village! I'm so glad you enjoyed the wide variety offered at the grocery store and our barbecue cuisine at the Ranch House restaurant. The cabins are certainly charming inside, and we do offer both cabins that are connected to each other and free-standing ones. We hope to see you again soon at Colter Bay!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Teton National Park
Jenny Lake Lodge
Jenny Lake Lodge
#3 of 14 in Grand Teton National Park
Heart Six Guest Ranch

Been to Colter Bay Village? Share your experiences!