“Wonderful”
Review of Colter Bay Village

Colter Bay Village
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We've just returned to England after spending time in Wyoming and this was our 2nd stay in the cabins at Coulter Bay. Just love the peace, quiet and the wildlife and all the wonderful trails. Friends staying with us saw a bear on the last morning returning from the store with their 1st coffees of the day. Maybe it is because we come from a small crowded island but we just love this area and the rustic cabins. If you want all mod cons stay in a motel but you will be missing out. We had one of the cabins built in the 1930's for a John Wayne filmset so some history as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Becky160851

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Your view of the Colter Bay cabins depends on how you think of them. If you think of them as camping, you are in great accommodations (beds! linens! private bathroom! hot shower! Windows with curtains! A real roof! Cute log cabin! Ice machine nearby!) If you think of them as a motel you might think of it as the worst motel you have ever stayed in (No heat in the bathroom or entry! You can hear your neighbors in the bathroom! 40+ year old sink and fixtures! One towel rack! No blow dryer! No clock! No phone! No coffee maker! No fridge! No air conditioning! Curtains let the light in!)

Once I got my mind into “we are camping in the woods” mode, I liked it. For camping it was deluxe. Colter Bay is a great location. From the cabins it was an easy walk to the lake (and marina), the general store and the laundry (which was still open in September, unlike most laundry places in Yellowstone). It was an easy drive to Jenny Lake or the Jackson Lake Lodge where we went for hikes and lunch. There are also hiking trails at Colter Bay. It was expensive for what we got ($180 plus tax) for a cabin with unheated bathroom, but it was fun for a few nights, and I assume the high price goes to upkeep of the park and maintaining the wilderness (I hope). I was happy while I was there, but I was also happy to get to the next place so I could wash and blow dry my hair! Would I stay again? Sure, for a few nights. The lake and mountain were beautiful and the location was great. But I would go into it knowing what to expect.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DesignCat
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Expensive for RV hookup at around fifty bucks. But it had great amenities and was very quiet. Lovely proximity to lake and good walks. Would strongly recommend. Much better than the grant village noisy rv park.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The cabin I rented should be put out of service permanently! I just wanted some peace and quiet in the mountains and of all the places I stayed on my 7,000 mile road trip, this was the worst and the most expensive. I had a 1 room cabin located on the back side of the restaurant. If I opened the windows all I heard was the loud motor of the AC unit for the restaurant, plus the emptying of the glass, all the typical goings on of a restaurant loading dock area. This end-to-end duplex style cabin was the worst!! I could hear every word from my neighbors room. "Harold, there's a mouse that just ran behind the toilet!" I probably could've heard them pass gas in the bathroom. The hot water heater for the entire unit was in my room in it's full visible glory. Wahoo. Great decor - a loudly rumbling hot water heater. Bathroom activity from the next room was so loud that when I got up before daybreak and decided to leave, I didn't shower because I didn't want to wake my neighbors up. Luckily all of the other (cheaper) cabins and cottages on my trip were so amazingly wonderful, I don't ever have to think about this one again. What a total waste of almost $200/night. For a cabin. The only positive was the staff at the restaurant - good buffet breakfast, great staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We have stayed here for 8 years, every Sept. We love the cabins, although I have to agree with some of the other folks, I think the price is somewhat high for what they are.
We love the surroundings and the ranch house to eat. The views are wonderful. This year is our first year that the help in the dining rooms have not been the greatest. The Ranch House in Colter Bay and Jackson Lake Lodge (The diner) and Signal Mountain Rest. They were not the greatest this year for some reason. We had to wait along time, most of the kids that waited on you played around alot, had to wait for the check. Alot of dirty dishes also this year (first time ever). We visited all three of the places and we found the same at all.
Hope it is different next year. We love it here and want to return as we always do every year.
The folks that clean the cabins are really great...Thank you to them.

See ya next year,
The Paterson's

Room Tip: The middle of the cabins is the best spot.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrianCheryl
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is one of the best places to stay in the Grand Tetons and Here is What You Need to Know:

1. Pull through spots ++! (with full hookups)
2. Offers propane fill up.
3. There is a restaurant (two actually), general store, gas station, laundromat, and showers right there on site.
4. The ranger talks are worth the time and educational for the kids.
5. The marina is beautiful and worth at least walking around if not renting a boat or going on the scenic guided boat ride.
6. There are many walking/hiking trails in varying degrees of length and difficulty.
7. Nice people work here.
8. Don't forget your bear spray and carry it with you (buy it BEFORE you get there to save 50%).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank SirTravelLover
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The RV camping has a full hookup, but still spacious. It was clean and organized.
There was a picnic table and a fire pit.
There is a very convenient laundry.
We took a short hike to the lake in the morning and it was spactacular.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
#4 of 16 in Grand Teton National Park
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Fla...
#7 of 16 in Grand Teton National Park

Been to Colter Bay Village? Share your experiences!